AAP/Carquest Wearever Platinum Brake Pads

https://my.advancepro.com/service/s/apro-brake-pads
https://cdn2.webdamdb.com/v1_md_UIig5Damu2W8.mp4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnYJjzweE0I

I needed the cheapest front and rear brake pads for a higher mileage 2018 Camry XSE that is being prepped for sale. The front rotors are probably get machined and the rears will be pad-slapped. It appears that Toyota used a different pad size on the TNGA cars and the aftermarket suppliers are just starting to have this fitment available. My normal go-to choice for cheap brake jobs, Centric, only had the rears available.

CarQuest/AAP is somewhat new to our area so I am less familiar with their offerings. Based on the FMSI code it appears that Roulunds is the supplier of AAP/CarQuest's Wearever Gold/Platinum lines. I think Roulunds also handles the Bendix, Duralast and O'Reilly pad programs but the products are not completely identical.

Does anyone have experience with the line of AAP/CarQuest Wearever Platinum Pads? The total for Front and Rear pads was only $65 + tax after the coupon, which is even cheaper than Centric.

I've used their Platinum pads for years. Good bite, low dust, include new hardware, last just as long/even longer than pricier pads -- I'm a fan.

Originally Posted by mclasser
I've used their Platinum pads for years. Good bite, low dust, include new hardware, last just as long/even longer than pricier pads -- I'm a fan.

^^^^ this ^^^^ they have been great on my 2014 Explorer. I would recommend them as well.

Some time back, someone posted a matrix that "decoded" the house brands to tell you who manufactured them; should be able to search for it.

Originally Posted by Donald
Who still machines rotors?

This used to be the go-to..........now, I would never do it again. Parts are cheap, even the better quality one. New pads, new rotors, that's easy.

How many miles did they put on in two years?
crazy2.gif

Is the XSE a V6? Sometimes Toyota uses bigger brakes on the V6, or on the ES vs Camry, or perhaps even the "sporty" variants

Raybestos makes the EHT pads, which have become popular on here.

Originally Posted by Chris Meutsch
Who still machines rotors?

This used to be the go-to..........now, I would never do it again. Parts are cheap, even the better quality one. New pads, new rotors, that's easy.

We do not have a rust problem out here. Most rotors are still in great shape. Dealers machine rotors (on-car) with every brake job and the results are quite good. Usually the front rotors can be machined at least twice with enough material remaining.

I sometimes machine the factory rotors on a bench lathe if it's an "economy" brake job.
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
How many miles did they put on in two years?
crazy2.gif

Is the XSE a V6? Sometimes Toyota uses bigger brakes on the V6, or on the ES vs Camry, or perhaps even the "sporty" variants

Raybestos makes the EHT pads, which have become popular on here.

60k.

Last edited:
They are pretty good pads. I have used them before. They are ceramic so, you need to bed them according to the recommendations. The Wearever Gold would work just fine and cost a little less.

Sorry, off topic. Was something wrong with the Camry? It's only 2 years and selling it already?

Originally Posted by painfx
Sorry, off topic. Was something wrong with the Camry? It's only 2 years and selling it already?

The owner is interested in another car that his customer is selling.

I'm on my third set on three different vehicles. Not much to choose from in the small town we live in. They have performed just I had hoped they would. Braking is as good as the day I drove them home. Fitment on all three have been dead on. And you can't beat the 20%/25% discount codes for online order and pick up in the store.

I have a set out in the garage waiting to go on the MKZ(which is still running its factory pads at 75K miles thanks to those being about 90% interstate driving). I've used them in the past on other vehicles.

I've used them in the past and have zero complaints.

Streetable ceramic pads are usually pretty tame(i.e. you don't have to warm them up to brake on them) and I've found that the gray dust both blends into wheels better and tends to wash off easier than the black dust of organic or semi-metallic pads.

I do not think any place machines rotors around here. NAPA use to but no more. But I do not believe its because of any rust. Its just new rotors are pretty cheap.

It costs 2/3 of what new rotors cost from discounters. I remember I needed one in 1981 for a 78 Celica. The best price I could get was 🤦ðŸ»â€â™‚ï¸ $135 +- for a rotor. Rotors today seem to be thinner = lighter too than back in the day too. They are going the way of the greasable ball joint ......

These threads always seem to attract the same comments... it's like deja vu all over again. Yes, after market rotors are cheap.

Here's some more info on on-vehicle brake lathes. They not only correct wobble (runout), but they remove glazing.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4720141/On-Car_Brake_Lathe

My take on it... you can't get a tech on the clock to spend 5 minutes checking rotor runout, even if it is in the FSM, and no dealer cares enough to make them do it. When it takes long enough to blame the owner once shudder develops, and they can also charge for another brake job, why waste time? Especially when you can squeeze in another appointment per day instead?

But have a $12K machine that costs $150 or more per axle, another chargeable line item, and both dealers and their techs are all-in.

Back