2015 Grand Cherokee 5.7 Coolant temps

Hey all,

I looked but didn't find exactly what I was looking for. I have a 2015 WK2 with the 5.7. What are the normal coolant operating temps and what temp does the low and high speed fans kick on at?
I do have HD cooling package - Trailer Tow Group IV

Thanks guys!

Well, I dug and dug through the service information but I just could NOT find a published spec from Chrysler on the fan turn-on temps. I did find that all Hemi's came with a 195 degree thermostat, and the ones I've driven seems to hover in the 210-215 range.

There are, apparently, two different cooling fans used depending on whether you have the "Max Cooling" package. The standard fan is 350 watts, controlled by a simple set of relay's that control either high or low speed. The Max Cool package has an 850 watt fan that is PWM controlled directly by the PCM, giving it both higher cooling capacity but a much broader range of speeds to work with.

I would have to imagine that when you say your truck has HD cooling that it includes the bigger fan. All I could find was that the PCM has an internal logic that uses engine coolant temp, oil temp, trans fluid temp, ambient temp, and A/C pressures to decide when and at what speed to run the fan.

Last edited:
Hemi‘s uses a 203F thermostat. My truck was hovering around 210F going down the highway today.

My Durango, with tow package/heavy duty cooling, wouldn't ramp the fan to max until the coolant temp was 225'ish. Otherwise it's variable, it'll spin slow enough you can't really hear it, crank all the way up and move some serious air, and it can go in between.

Last edited:
Hey thanks guys!
Yeah I was digging last night and didn't find much. I believe with the Tow Package and HD cooling I do have the ECU controlled fan. I was curious because I was idling a few days ago after a drive and plugged in the Torque app and I was hovering around 225 and the fans didn't even seem to want to turn on. But it did start dropping slowly. I am going to take a look possibly today and just let it idle and see what the fans do and make sure it turns on with the AC and stuff.

Back