Bumpers

Hello,

I have a '03 GMC 1500HD.. Its white (it is a belly button truck, many people have the identical truck where I live)... Has a chrome grille, stock aluminum wheels, chrome front/rear stock bumpers. and chrome side door mouldiings. I am thinking about new bumpers rear, and MAYBE front... But my truck is not an off road machine, not a Bro-Dozer, not a street machine either... just an average truck.. I don't want a crazy custom HD bumper that looks like it belongs on a tank, but wouldn't mind a better looking chrome bumper for the back of the truck either. Any ideas? i think all the options are either stock, or some fabricated military spec piece..

What is a "belly button truck"?
confused2.gif

Sorry, I call belly button cars/trucks vehicles that everyone seems to have. (and no one please take any offense to any of this). I remember growing up, and everyone seemed to have a pastel colored car with a tune port injected 350 chevy, 700R4 (from a Corvette of course!) transmission, and a ford 9 inch rear end for their hot rods.. Or in the case of my truck. Its a stock truck, 4dr, white.. And in my area, it seems everyone has a white 4dr truck like this. I see at least three of "my trucks" around every time I am out and about. The only way It would be worse in my neighborhood is if I drove an F250 with a small lift or level kit, diesel, with custom wheels... I dont care I have a "belly button" truck that is the same as eveyones, I like my truck, but also what to personalize it some, add a litte utility, and maybe make it a tiny bit less the same which is why I am thinking about different bumpers. Does that help/make sense?

Last edited:
My current bumper has an old reverse alarm system that no longer operates, and a dent (proving it stopped working right). So that is why I was considering replacing it, and if I am thinking of replacing it, I might as well see what options are there. I am perfectly fine just installing a factory bumper as I do like the look. But if something else tickles me, then I may do that instead.

Originally Posted by tcp71
Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
What is a "belly button truck"?
confused2.gif

Everyone has one...
A good fellow I used to work with had restored a '71 Olds Cutlass, basically upgrading it to be a 4-4-2 clone, and was quick to point out that he'd been careful to rebuild and install an Olds V8, rather than a "naval engine". I asked if he meant a marine engine - nope, he had said "navel" rather than "naval"; navel as in belly button, like a Chevy SB 350, "because everyone has one".
lol.gif

Any of the variations mentioned is a relief. I was expecting a belly button truck to be filled with sweaty lint.

On a serious note: 8 months ago I bought a 2005 Ford Ranger FX4 in great shape. The rear bumper was tapped just enough to "roll it" a touch.
Most people wouldn't notice it and I can SURELY live with it.
In fact, depending on the configuration of the brackets, a couple of plain washers probably could true it out.

BUT, the rear bumper does seem small....not in proportion to the vehicle.
The stock front bumper, which was replaced by the PO as it rusted away from behind, is contoured and is layered with other valence panels. It has a smooth, beefier -but still subtle- look.
In fact, the rear bumper looks like it was taken off the front of a 1975 Vega.

I have my eyes peeled for a replacement but like the OP said, everything I've seen is real "off-road".
An irony is that the contoured front is so "together" darn near anything you could bolt on the rear would not be an automatic clash.

Again Donald you're right. Diamond plate is tops and if I go that route the bumper will be deep enough to mount a vice.

I remember when I was a kid. All the little farms were working and NOBODY had a 4WD truck except for well guys (hence the vice) and right-of-way guys.

Back