Generator Engine Swap

Looking to replace engine on 22 year old Generac generator.
It has a 10 hp Briggs & Stratton engine. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Nothing is really wrong with it, just thought of swapping for a new one. After all it's
22 years old. I bought it in 1998.

Originally Posted by doolah02
Nothing is really wrong with it, just thought of swapping for a new one. After all it's

Yes - but how many hours on it?

Yes it will probably have a tapered shaft. Hard to get apart.

My neighbor ran a new Briggs and Stratton (7500watt??) storm responder generator with no oil and it kicked a rod out of the crankcase. He called around a replacement engine was 3/4 of the price he paid for the generator new.
He gave it to me and I disassembled it. I found a local mower shop that had a suitable replacement engine but it was $350. I see these generators selling for $200-$500 In running condition on Facebook and craigslist. Couldn't justify spending the money on it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by doolah02

Why do you think the rest of machine is in better shape than the engine with nothing wrong with it?

Last edited:
Do a compression check on it and if it has good compression just check the gaps of the valves and adjust them if required. Check to see if you have to buy any gaskets before opening it up for the valve check / adjustment. Maybe put a new spark-plug in it and run it for hundreds of more hours.

If you are set on improving the reliability of what you have for a generator it might be best to just buy a new gen-set and store it unused and put the hours on the one you have now until it dies. The downside of doing this is that you may have to flash the generator if it looses the residual magnetism from sitting too long. Sometimes that happens, and other times they sit for years and still produce power with no problem when used.

I wouldn't change it just because either. My current generator was built in 1971 and still has the original 7hp Briggs and Stratton engine. It started out as a construction generator so has had a lot of hard use.

Now, it rests in a shed until need for power outages. It's been running on propane the past 10 years and just last year to electronic ignition.

Ive had my Generac also for many years that got me through the big east coast power outage. If the motor still runs and doesn't burn oil it is fine Get an hour meter and install that and keep the oil changed based on hours. then move on

I agree with the above, finding a GOOD replacement engine (not chinese junk) will be quite expensive. The money/time would be best spent going through your current one and replacing tune-up parts like air filter, oil, spark plug, etc. If it is pull-start, look at the rope to make sure it isn't fraying and won't snap on you at a bad time. Check the fuel lines, filter, and tank to make sure they are clean and in good condition.

My generator is a 1988 Coleman with a Briggs 8HP flathead. It's loud, and not the most efficient on fuel, but it runs perfect and consistent.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
I agree with the above, finding a GOOD replacement engine (not chinese junk) will be quite expensive. The money/time would be best spent going through your current one and replacing tune-up parts like air filter, oil, spark plug, etc. If it is pull-start, look at the rope to make sure it isn't fraying and won't snap on you at a bad time. Check the fuel lines, filter, and tank to make sure they are clean and in good condition.

My generator is a 1988 Coleman with a Briggs 8HP flathead. It's loud, and not the most efficient on fuel, but it runs perfect and consistent.

^this
I have a 1998 Briggs that is still going strong, and no reason to throw out good equipment just because of age.

I assume it has points given the age (?) If so just clean them up and adjust, replace all the disposable parts, make sure everything will work when you want it to. Or replace with electronic ignition if it makes you feel warm and fuzzy. And probably a good idea to rebuild the carb if it spent much time sitting around unused. That engine should last a long time.

Originally Posted by RyanY
Originally Posted by jeepman3071

^this
I have a 1998 Briggs that is still going strong, and no reason to throw out good equipment just because of age.

I assume it has points given the age (?) If so just clean them up and adjust, replace all the disposable parts, make sure everything will work when you want it to. Or replace with electronic ignition if it makes you feel warm and fuzzy. And probably a good idea to rebuild the carb if it spent much time sitting around unused. That engine should last a long time.

The OP said his engine is 22 years old, so it definitely won't have points. Most Briggs engines by the mid 1980s had electronic ignition luckily.

Back