2017 6.7 Powerstroke UOA

10,000 miles/425 Hours on oil. 25,200 miles on unit. Motorcraft dino 10w30 diesel oil with 13 ounces of Schaeffer 132 added. 1 ounce zddp added halfway through the run to help boost numbers (probably will not do this again this oil change). . Let me know what you guys think.

[Linked Image]

Its still breaking in. This OCI started at 15K and went to 25K.

The next one will be a good baseline. TBN is good for dino oil.

Iron is high but assume from break-in.

Iron seems high compared to the UOAs I did on my 2015. I averaged 15PPM for 5K OCIs and even if I tripled that amount for a 10K OCI (which it would not be), the iron in your UOA is still much higher than that. There does not seem to be dilution happening (provided the test was performed with a gas chromatograph), so it is a bit of a mystery what is driving the higher iron levels.

How often does it regen? I agree iron is high. I am a little skeptical of the fuel number.

This is JMO, but I would try a 15w40 and see what your iron numbers look like.

Last edited:
I use the inhibit feature and stretch it usually to 500 miles between regens.

Originally Posted by PDRig
Do the regens run for about 30 minutes or so when they do run or longer? I had higher fuel dilution during the winter months, but still did not have iron levels that high and am also very skeptical the engine is still breaking in and thus the reason for the higher iron (mine had leveled off by 10K miles). Silicon is not very high either, so certainly a mystery. What about your use case? Lots of towing or heavy loads? The universal average for Fe is 32PPM and 6,500 miles for a 6.7L PSD (from Blackstone).

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
Do the regens run for about 30 minutes or so when they do run or longer? I had higher fuel dilution during the winter months, but still did not have iron levels that high and am also very skeptical the engine is still breaking in and thus the reason for the higher iron (mine had leveled off by 10K miles). Silicon is not very high either, so certainly a mystery. What about your use case? Lots of towing or heavy loads? The universal average for Fe is 32PPM and 6,500 miles for a 6.7L PSD (from Blackstone).

Regens usually last 20-30 minutes.

Around 25 percent towing if I had to guess. Towing pretty heavy.

My thought process for the high iron, is the time in the sump. I have 425 hours on this oil sample. I have not seen a lot of people posting hours and mileage together. A few I had seen on bitog were around 200 hours and 10000 miles. With iron around 20-30 ppm range. My run is similar miles, double the hours. Loosely, that puts that same engine at 40-60 ppm iron if I would double the hours. Thoughts?

My thought process for the high iron, is the time in the sump. I have 425 hours on this oil sample. I have not seen a lot of people posting hours and mileage together. A few I had seen on bitog were around 200 hours and 10000 miles. With iron around 20-30 ppm range. My run is similar miles, double the hours. Loosely, that puts that same engine at 40-60 ppm iron if I would double the hours. Thoughts?
It could be, I did not look at the hours so much on my PSD because I had a fair amount of highway miles and thus sump time was not as important. However, (provided my math is correct); 10,000 miles over 425 hours equates to 23.5MPH average (which indicates some low speed/idling) which promotes more soot production.

I would expect your regens to be happening more frequently than every 500 miles (even with the inhibitor) which could mean your fuel dilution is higher than what is being shown. BUT (there always is) your viscosity was 12.4@100°C and the virgin numbers from the Motorcraft PDS for 10W-30 (https://parts.ford.com/content/dam/...f/10W_30_Super_Duty_Diesel_Motor_Oil.pdf) is 11.8@100°C so your oil thickened slightly which is direct conflict to fuel dilution thinning.

In the end, I think you are "ok" and would just monitor next few OCs to see if this is a normal trend and go from there.

Originally Posted by Donald
Its still breaking in. This OCI started at 15K and went to 25K.

The next one will be a good baseline. TBN is good for dino oil.

Iron is high but assume from break-in.

I agree. Here are 5 UOAs of my TDI over 50k miles

[Linked Image]

PDRig - here are 10 UOAs over 50K miles on my PSD to give you some data from the same engine family. I towed about 20K of those miles (typically some in each UOA). The dotted trend line is for iron (the vertical axis is PPM):

[Linked Image from iili.io]

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD

It could be, I did not look at the hours so much on my PSD because I had a fair amount of highway miles and thus sump time was not as important. However, (provided my math is correct); 10,000 miles over 425 hours equates to 23.5MPH average (which indicates some low speed/idling) which promotes more soot production.

I would expect your regens to be happening more frequently than every 500 miles (even with the inhibitor) which could mean your fuel dilution is higher than what is being shown. BUT (there always is) your viscosity was 12.4@100°C and the virgin numbers from the Motorcraft PDS for 10W-30 (https://parts.ford.com/content/dam/...f/10W_30_Super_Duty_Diesel_Motor_Oil.pdf) is 11.8@100°C so your oil thickened slightly which is direct conflict to fuel dilution thinning.

In the end, I think you are "ok" and would just monitor next few OCs to see if this is a normal trend and go from there.

You are correct. 23-24 mph is the average I have been seeing.

Increased vis may also be due to the schaeffer 132. Vis is 220@100c. That's why I use 1 ounce per quart.

Do you use any fuel additives? I was using an fuel additive that had iron in it. You can see the 2 reports with high iron and how it went down when I discontinued use. This is 53k of reports.

[Linked Image]

Interesting. Any reason you didn't go with 15W-40? I see you are in Pennsylvania. Doesn't get too cold there?

How do you like the engine so far?

Originally Posted by BeerCan
Do you use any fuel additives? I was using an fuel additive that had iron in it. You can see the 2 reports with high iron and how it went down when I discontinued use. This is 53k of reports.

[Linked Image]

BeerCan,

I do not use fuel additives. I just run 5 % bio that is already in the fuel at the pump. I did see your thread about the enerburn.

Originally Posted by LubricatusObsess
Interesting. Any reason you didn't go with 15W-40? I see you are in Pennsylvania. Doesn't get too cold there?

How do you like the engine so far?

LO,

No major deciding factor. Owners manual says 10w30 for typical use. Roadrunner runs his power stroke hard and all he runs is 10w30 with continued positive results. A lot of otr trucks are running it now too.

Hoping Beercan isn't offended , but I snipped his most recent UOA and attached it for comparison. His run at 21k miles has similar results to mine. Makes me lean more towards break in wear.

74FDDDA4-9871-4297-9235-7250339BD783.jpeg

12500 miles. 425 hours. Schaeffers 132 added here so that should account for the higher visc

Attachments

• 8112527C-61D4-4CD0-A84B-7D45C8ACD2E8.jpeg
    8112527C-61D4-4CD0-A84B-7D45C8ACD2E8.jpeg
    61.9 KB · Views: 17
Having a hard time reading that. Not very clear. What lube was used?

Back