WIX 51516, Seven Months, 3321 miles

MrQuackers

Site Donor 2024
Plenty of short trips for sure. Run on the mighty Saturn 1.9 DOHC

Looks like good solid construction, but it was leaking the whole OCI, apparently at the seam as others have experienced. Date code best as I can determine is 061511D1. As you can see, I punched a hole with a screw right through the code to drain the oil.

I now have a MotorCraft FL-400S installed and the leak is no longer, confirming the WIX filter was indeed leaking.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Oil used during the OCI was Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w-40, Mobil 1 HM 5w-20, Rislone Engine Treatment, LiquiMoly mos2, and a touch of Heinz 57 oils. Also of note, I performed a 12 minute B-12 flush before the oil change I just performed: FL-400S + Mobil Delvac Super 1300 15w-40 + Rislone + LM mos2

Yes, Saturns be thirsty, about 1150 miles to the quart.

I will post additional pictures later.

Interesting find. This has got to be the worst looking Wix I've seen posted here. Usually they look like they've only been used for a thousand miles or so.

I see what looks like a gap along the seam. Is that why you talked about leaking? Or did you notice it dripping from the filter onto the ground?

Last edited:
No, the seam of the can at the base plate. Oil was dripping off the sump pan. Never leaked like this before and is not leaking now with the FL-400S currently installed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MrQuackers
No, the seam of the can at the base plate. Oil was dripping off the sump pan. Never leaked like this before and is not leaking now with the FL-400S currently installed.

Seems like quite a few WIX filters have been shown here to have a leaky base seam.

MrQuackers: I always enjoy and look forward to your posts. Thank You and as always great write up and the oil did some cleaning I see. Thank You for c&p
smile.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
MrQuackers: I always enjoy and look forward to your posts. Thank You and as always great write up and the oil did some cleaning I see. Thank You for c&p
smile.gif
thumbsup2.gif

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Very,very well stated 53'....

Great work as usual from Mr Q....

just bought a wix filter for my Honda accord ,haven't installed it yet but now i'm wondering if I should ??

Originally Posted by FT92
just bought a wix filter for my Honda accord ,haven't installed it yet but now i'm wondering if I should ??

I would install it with confidence.
thumbsup2.gif
I pretty much use Wix and Honda OEM filters exclusively on my family's Hondas and have had zero issues.

I was going to use the fl-400 on my mother's Saturn 1.9 dohc but there was a plastic cover in the way that goes around the inner tie rod so I just stuck with a short filters.

Thank you mods for correcting the miles in the title
smile.gif

Regarding the condition of the media, it is solid, but molybdenum disulfide laced oil has been circulating through it for a while, and hello short trip winter driving, a little wavy nbd

Last edited:
I've been wrapping the media most every day with fresh Dollar Tree paper towels. The ones pictured were applied at around 3pm.

I will slice and dice soon.

20200519_205740.jpg

Back