Retro AR 10

Experiences opinions anyone got one or handled one? Kind of wondering why the big price drop. The reviews I've seen are mostly favourable. DPMS supplied the bolt carrier and maybe some other parts and I believe they are part of Remington now and don't manufacture firearms anymore. My stimulus check is burning a hole in my pocket and this caught my interest.

https://www.brownells.com/firearms/...fle-308-7-62-20in-barrel-prod115389.aspx

Last edited:
I look at the AR 10 and the Barrett semi autos in 50 cal but quickly realize I wouldn't shoot either more that once. I have shot a couple of AR10 types at the range they feel like big heavy AR15s.

Originally Posted by CT8
I look at the AR 10 and the Barrett semi autos in 50 cal but quickly realize I wouldn't shoot either more that once.

A lot of ranges won't even let you shoot a 50 unless its Black powder

Last edited:
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but if I were looking to go retro I would stick with the AR15 platform (search AR15 M2 - less than half the price of the AR10 and cheaper to shoot). I view the AR10 platform more for precision/hunting type applications.

Originally Posted by faltic
Experiences opinions anyone got one or handled one? Kind of wondering why the big price drop. The reviews I've seen are mostly favourable. DPMS supplied the bolt carrier and maybe some other parts and I believe they are part of Remington now and don't manufacture firearms anymore. My stimulus check is burning a hole in my pocket and this caught my interest.

Looks to me it favors Armalite rather than DPMS looking at the lower receiver. Armalite magazines are $$$ over SR25 DPMS style. Other alternative is modify M14 mag, and they are not cheap either. Nice rifle. Buy it!!

Originally Posted by faltic

Not quite sure what you are wanting to know but I've popped a few rounds through one and know some who collect unique guns like that.( didn't really examine it that close and it wasn't my personal weapon)

Its like any other AR-10 as far as functionality, It does have that distinct top pull handle as the original "original" prototypes ( takes some getting used to if you are used to traditional AR and military weapons) and a smooth side ( no assist just like the originals)

I don't believe there is such a thing as too many guns so definitely get a few but when people ask me- I tell them a gun is like a tool and should be matched to the purpose so what "purpose" you thinking about?

The retro AR10s look cool if that's what you need to scratch that itch. For practical uses modern designs have the old ones beat hands down.

If you're only buying one rifle I don't see making that rifle an AR10. If this is rifle number 14, go for it.

BSW

The LOP is long, retro or not, I think that is bit overpriced.

You can get a heavy barrel AR10 from PSA from much less.

Back