Bought a new to me mustang

I bought an 06 mustang pony package with 104,000 miles today. I plan on changing the oil to 5w30 Valvoline full synthetic and a motorcraft oil filter. Also changing the coolant tomorrow and inspecting the trans and re diff fluid. She runs good and is a lot of fun. She has aftermarket wheels but thats the only thing that's been changed. I do plan on buying new tires soon as these are going on 6 years old. I paid $4200 for her and drove her 2 hours home. Very happy with her. Fun little car!!

IMG_20200427_224807_426.jpg

Looks good! If it's a manual, or auto, I caution you on messing with those fluids. I've messed up both with fluid changes at over 70k miles.

Originally Posted by ram_man
Yea it's an 4.0 manual.

I'd not mess with the fluid. I had a T56 that I had the fluid changed in at 77K miles. It never shifted right again. Not BAD, but it was like buttah! before. After, for the next 70K miles it was just...notchy. Not that super slick T56 experience we all loved. Not near as bad as my 370Z or anything, but not excellent either.

Sharp car! Probably better with the 4.0 on a 15 year old pony car, the v8's typically get the snot beat out of them.

Originally Posted by GZRider
Sharp car! Probably better with the 4.0 on a 15 year old pony car, the v8's typically get the snot beat out of them.

I worked at a ford dealership in 2005. Your supposition is not accurate based on my experiences.

Very nice, congrats!
It's a good feeling isn't it?
The tires are 6 yrs old but, what condition are they in & ~ how many miles on them)?

Originally Posted by Char Baby
Very nice, congrats!
It's a good feeling isn't it?
The tires are 6 yrs old but, what condition are they in & ~ how many miles on them)?

It doesnt matter. They need replaced.

Originally Posted by Kira
Best of EVERYTHING regarding your "silver bullet".

Gootta know more about this magic manual fluid which , what, isn't replaceable?

Just sharing my experiences with multiple vehicles over the years. Maybe OP can update us on how it shifts after the fluid in the trans is replaced, should OP decide to do so.

good looker + enjoy the shifty as i do!! ALL fluids should be replaced unless theres records of earlier service. when i bought a 2011 frontier i did everything with redline fluids + gained 3 mpg, brake fluid being most important i use ATE #4, enjoy your new toy + suggest an early mustang forum to learn more!

Back