Why NO Love for Pennzoil Euro Brands on BITOG

So, this is really anecdotal and my observation and not fact...

I'm based in SE USA. It seems like there is no love for Pennzoil Euro Spec oils here on BITOG. I'm wondering why? It seems like everyone Is Quick to suggest or recommend boutique brands or mainstream Mobil 1, Valvoline, castrol Etc varieties.

From a general standpoint, the Pennzoil LX or Euro (non VW vehicle) seem like great options on paper. Although, I can't seem to find a good Pennzoil Euro 0W-20 listed...?

I have a VW VR6 3.6 calling for VW 504.00. I have Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30 ready for the next OC. But I've always had my Eye on the Pennzoil Euro LX 0W-30 for my next fill for general purposes. On Paper, I like the Mobil 1. But why not Pennzoil? Comparing the two above, which is better? Mobil 1 ESP or the Pennzoil Euro LX? I'll be doing 10K OCIs, in hot and humid Southern weather. I plan on sticking to 0W-30

I've got Pennzoil Euro 0w30 LX in my 6.0 liter Chevy right now.
laugh.gif

Plenty of people like PP Euro L, and you can often find it at Walmart for the same price as their non-Euro oils
smile.gif

Some stores may not carry it due to low sales, but this is at the individual store level.

Originally Posted by TheIceStormof06
So, this is really anecdotal and my observation and not fact...

I'm based in SE USA. It seems like there is no love for Pennzoil Euro Spec oils here on BITOG. I'm wondering why? It seems like everyone Is Quick to suggest or recommend boutique brands or mainstream Mobil 1, Valvoline, castrol Etc varieties.

From a general standpoint, the Pennzoil LX or Euro (non VW vehicle) seem like great options on paper. Although, I can't seem to find a good Pennzoil Euro 0W-20 listed...?

I have a VW VR6 3.6 calling for VW 504.00. I have Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30 ready for the next OC. But I've always had my Eye on the Pennzoil Euro LX 0W-30 for my next fill for general purposes. On Paper, I like the Mobil 1. But why not Pennzoil? Comparing the two above, which is better? Mobil 1 ESP or the Pennzoil Euro LX? I'll be doing 10K OCIs, in hot and humid Southern weather. I plan on sticking to 0W-30

I have PP Euro 5W40 in BMW now.
Part of the problem is that PP Euro Full-SAPS is not available in Wal Mart. It goes on sale often though in AZ and AAp. That is how I got 10 quarts.
However, would I pay $10 a quart compared to Castrol or M1 in Wal mart going for $22-25 for 5qt? NO!

Last edited:
I wouldn't say there's no love for it on BITOG. It's just that BMW and Mercedes Benz never transitioned away from A3/B4 to C3 on their legacy fleet of gas engines in addition to the fact that Castrol / M1 flavors have always been readily available. BMW for example just upgraded their LL01 spec (A3/B4) rather than dumping it for the LL04 (C3). VW 504/507 has been around since 2010-ish.

I also think Penn Euro L is harder to find. I was in a AAP, AZ, and Pepboys a couple of months ago and Euro oils were Castrol or M1.

I'm gonna say that there is no love for Pennzoil Euro is due to lack of availability. Or maybe is sells out so quickly that I don't see it on shelves...Out of sight, out of mind!

The first time I ever saw Pennzoil Euro was ~3 months ago on a closeout rack/shelf at AAP for $10+/qt. I believe that it was 0W30 but, I can't be sure anymore. I've only heard about it here at Bob's but hadn't seen it til then and haven't seen it since.

And since I don't particularly look for it, this may be why I hadn't seen it either.

Last edited:
I used to run the Euro Spec Pennzoil Ultra 5W40 in my Volvos all the time. It performed very well. Low oil consumption. Good UOA.

My last purchase was in 2012, however.

Because it's both hard to find and priced at double what other oils cost. Nobody has it in stock around here. Amazon wants $50 for a 6 pack.

When I could buy a jug of Castrol 5W40 on Amazon for $22, or get a six pack of the Mobil 0W40 for $28 at Costco, why would I spend so much to buy the Pennzoil?

I run Pennzoil Euro 0W-40 in my MB C300. A couple of years back WM clearanced all of it and I grabbed about 25 gallons.

They dropped it here about two years ago … I grabbed some from the clearance aisle …

Thanks for everyone's input. Most of the responses here have been about availability and pricing. I can easily source the Pennzoil locally and online.

Can we take those two factors Out for a moment and discuss the technically attributes and advantages that each possess?

You mean other than the approvals or certifications that oil has or doesn't have compared to similar ones from ExxonMobil or Castrol?

Or are you looking for someone to predict the future performance of one product over another based on marketing or a PDS?

For Pennzoil LX 0w30, MB 229.31, 229.51, 229.52, Porsche C30, Volkswagen Audi VW 504/507. Meets or exceeds API SN, Meets AECA C2/C3. Let's not bring up the meets or exceeds issue. It's already been talked about a lot. Although this oil is a 0W30 it is on the high end of the 30 scale in viscosity. What's not to like?

Here's more info.

Pennzoil Euro SDS 0w30.PNG

Last edited:
While kschachn certainly gets right to the point and can come off as brusque, he does have good insight when questions are posed correctly. Positing theoreticals has never elicited "friendly" responses from him, but c'est la vie.

The simple answer to your (implied) question is: yes, if the Pennzoil Euro oil you have your eye on meets the required specs of your engine, use it if you want. And no, there is no magic elixir that will provide any statistically significant "improvements" over any other oil that meets the same specs. Fancy base oils and/or add packs may provide additional reserve in the oil's capacity to do its job, but when changed at manufacturer OCIs, all you need is the certification/spec to be met by the oil.

Unless you're doing a teardown, or paying insane amounts of money for specialized tests, there will never be a difference you can measure between the spec oils through "normal" analysis methods. UOA is not a valid wear measurement tool.

I'm a yellow bottle guy, so by all means... if it meets your engine's specs (certifications, NOT oil manufacturer recommendations!) and the price is right, pour it in!

Same issue here, availability, although I have recently discovered Menards sells the 0w40 version at a pretty good price. Still would cost me more than a jug of Castrol however and that is usually the problem. On paper the 0w40 looks excellent and I am considering spending the few extra bucks to try it.

Wally's here has the Euro L 5w30 but it isn't approved for VW specs and on paper it is not nearly as impressive as the LX or 0w40 versions. JMO. The Euro LX 0w30 VW 504 can be had here at AAP but it runs 10 bucks a quart, more than double what I can pick up Castrol for elsewhere.

Originally Posted by KCJeep
Same issue here, availability, although I have recently discovered Menards sells the 0w40 version at a pretty good price. Still would cost me more than a jug of Castrol however and that is usually the problem. On paper the 0w40 looks excellent and I am considering spending the few extra bucks to try it.

Wally's here has the Euro L 5w30 but it isn't approved for VW specs and on paper it is not nearly as impressive as the LX or 0w40 versions. JMO.

Advanced Auto Online had the LX 0W-30 for $7/qt earlier in the year with free shipping. They should still have it in stock

Probably because I could run this and supertech Syn in two identical engines and would not see a bit of difference before the rest of the car fell alart.

Back