2021 Corvette "engine needs to be running to check oil"?

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by jimmyturner
I don't know but did they eliminate the dip stick on the C8's? If not, then i don't see the logic in checking the oil with the engine running. Still getting the C8 Z06 though.

He pulled the dipstick many times in the video.

lol i honestly didn't even watch the video.

So then it makes no sense about engine needs to be running when checking the oil. I never do on mine, and i get accurate readings.

Originally Posted by racin4ds
Theres just something in me that wants great HTHS for a turbo diesel.

Personally, I'm more interested in shear stability rather than just HTHS. Be the same thing for a high performance, dry sump gas engine too. It's when the oil is used for a couple thousand miles that you can tell more about the quality of the oil.

Ironically, from Driven Oils... a full decade ago: Driven mPAO article

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Might as well throw a twin-turbo on it. Quite a few performance shops are developing bolt-on turbo kits for the C8.

19.gif

I've never been impressed with the Corvettes until now with the C8.

Thanks for the dry-sump explanation fellas, I just had never heard of it. Good to see they're recommending an exceptional oil as well.

Originally Posted by Brybo86
Wait he didn't wipe off he oil plug squeaky clean before reinstalling it??? Lol mb just me. Also no gasket on drain plug or no new gasket?

It probably uses an o-ring like all the other GM cars. Some dry-sumps you check running, some you check not running, all depends on the particular design of the system.

Just an observation, but having someone like the Youtuber talking and asking so many questions while someone is working is just asking for a mistake to happen. The only times I ever made mistakes was when either the customer or a manager was hovering, it threw off my routine.

Originally Posted by DGXR
It's interesting that he is also adding oil to the crankcase while the engine is running.

It appears he is adding it to the dry sump tank. Usually a dry sump engine will not have oil fill caps on the engine itself.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Originally Posted by DGXR
It's interesting that he is also adding oil to the crankcase while the engine is running.

It appears he is adding it to the dry sump tank. Usually a dry sump engine will not have oil fill caps on the engine itself.

Learned something else today.

Back