Looking at a 2006 Acura TL...

I'm looking at a 2006 Acura TL with around 160K miles on it, private seller. From what I read they are solid vehicles overall. I plan on test driving this evening, from a quick look yesterday, the paint appears to be in good shape (for an 06), no peeling or clear coat rash. Just scratches. No idea what the interior looks like though the owner says it's "mint", likely not the case but we will see. I did ask about timing belt, he wasn't sure when it was last changed so that would be a priority. Not sure how much that would cost, I assume around $1000. Will attempt to check fluids on test drive.

The vehicle would be used as a daily driver "beater".

Do any of you have anything to add about these TL's? Thanks in advance.

Trans are weak, 5 cylinder or 6? 5 cylinders have a weak camshaft and oil needs to be changed regularly and preferably with synthetic.

My dad had an '05 for a few years that was a salvage title, but we got a really good deal on it and I worked in the shop where all the work was performed. He had the car for a few years and it gave him no issues. That gen TL is a really solid platform, and the transmission issues of the early Honda's were long resolved by 2006. 160k really isn't much on one of those, plan on doing the TB and WP just because, and changing the transmission fluid, but other than that you should be fine.

There is a common issue on all Acura's of that gen, and that's a battery drain caused by a failed Bluetooth module. It's an easy fix, just drop the overhead console and unplug it.

Originally Posted by 14Accent
My dad had an '05 for a few years that was a salvage title, but we got a really good deal on it and I worked in the shop where all the work was performed. He had the car for a few years and it gave him no issues. That gen TL is a really solid platform, and the transmission issues of the early Honda's were long resolved by 2006. 160k really isn't much on one of those, plan on doing the TB and WP just because, and changing the transmission fluid, but other than that you should be fine.

There is a common issue on all Acura's of that gen, and that's a battery drain caused by a failed Bluetooth module. It's an easy fix, just drop the overhead console and unplug it.

That last part is particularly interesting to me.
smile.gif
I have an '06 TSX whose Bluetooth module kicked the bucket about a year ago. It is no longer my daily driver and the battery dies after a few days of sitting. I figured it was just a bad battery, but I wonder if it's the BT module that's draining the battery...? Thanks for the comment!

Engine mounts (usually the side and front one) fail. If left unattended long enough the other ones will fail as well.

Make sure the timing belt was done at 105k. Oil Pump o-rings tend to leak as well, usually sometime before the 2nd scheduled timing belt service. Resealing the oil pump requires removing the timing belt, exhaust pipe and oil pan.

And the bluetooth issue that 14accent mentioned.

Last edited:
There is no such thing is a 5 cylinder TL after 1998.

Things to check and replace:

Motor mounts
Compliance Bushings (Lower front a-arms) - Look for cracks or bad inside front tire wear. Replace with OEM bushings or pay the price. (Continued bad tire wear)
3x D&F on the trans and keep tabs on it. Also replace the filter
Bluetooth module probably doesn't work.
Seats are probably cracked, or will, same with the dash.

The J-Series engines are solid. Replace the timing belt and check the valve clearances (Often neglected)
If it has an oil leak from underneath it will be time to do the oil pump reseal, do that when you have the timing belt done as it all has to come off to do either job.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by gregk24
I did ask about timing belt, he wasn't sure when it was last changed so that would be a priority. Not sure how much that would cost, I assume around $1000.

Honda dealers around here run specials for around $500 for the timing belt. It's the timing belt only though. I'm sure the majority of customers who use this coupon get a call telling them the water pump, tensioner, idler, etc need replaced once they open it up so yeah, then you'll approach $1000. An independant shop, using aftermarket parts, will be around $600.

ASIN TKH-002, new OEM seals if yours are leaking. If not, leave them. New Serpentine belt, tensioner if you need it. Oil pump and all those assorted o-rings will run about $50-70 in parts (I have my list at home, the 2003 Accord is fixing to go under the knife for all of it this week) So $300 give or take in parts, the rest of it is labor.

Originally Posted by The Critic
It does have a small oil leak, maybe it's the oil pump seal.

https://youtu.be/c0wBHItpGtI

You are looking at 6 hours labor plus parts to repair. At the dealer, it will be about $2k.

From what I read, it doesn't look like it would damage anything if not done. Could be wrong.

Of note, when in overdrive I noticed the trans appeared to be going in and out of overdrive. Fluid was dark, but not burned. I am familiar with Honda ATF. The guy doesn't want to move on the price. I am not interested at $5600.

At $5600 it should be mint condition. NADA, Edmunds etc would price that around $2500-3500 at most for a good example. If he cannot produce any records of a timing belt, then consider it not done and it needs it.
A few other things- dashboard tends to get major cracks, and they are very expensive to fix. Power steering o-rings can cause leaks or squealing.

You are looking at 6 hours labor plus parts to repair. At the dealer, it will be about $2k.

I'm about to find out. I'm setting aside 2 days to do my Accord. I've done the timing belt on the TL, should have done the pump seal then as well, but didn't.

OP, yea if they wouldn't move off that price it would need to be mint, and I'm sure it isn't.

Originally Posted by ctechbob

I'm about to find out. I'm setting aside 2 days to do my Accord. I've done the timing belt on the TL, should have done the pump seal then as well, but didn't.

OP, yea if they wouldn't move off that price it would need to be mint, and I'm sure it isn't.

It isn't a difficult job, definitely doable in one day. With the t-belt off, remove the exhaust pipe that is in the way and remove the oil pan. Remove the pickup, then remove the oil pump. Replace the 3 gaskets (filter adapter, pickup tube o-ring and the Oil Pump gasket). Clean all areas carefully and make sure the surface is shiny clean before applying RTV.

Originally Posted by ctechbob

It isn't a difficult job, definitely doable in one day. With the t-belt off, remove the exhaust pipe that is in the way and remove the oil pan. Remove the pickup, then remove the oil pump. Replace the 3 gaskets (filter adapter, pickup tube o-ring and the Oil Pump gasket). Clean all areas carefully and make sure the surface is shiny clean before applying RTV.

Sure, if you don't have a wife and kid hanging around because they can't/won't go anywhere
smile.gif
. Usually, they ask me to do something right after I'm elbow deep in something that I can't stop.

Definitely undercut the seller $1000 in your offer for the timing belt replacement. I'll never understand why timing belt engine car owners won't maintain them. I always did mine at 100K like clockwork. Plus,ALWAYS replace anything timing belt related when ding the job. That includes all tensioners, pulleys,other drive belts, seals,gaskets,water pump,thermosat,etc. You don't want to have to tear into it again to replace a $2 seal.

For that price, I agree -- should be mint. If he is not gonna budge on price and shows no receipts for the timing belt kit/whole replacement with waterpump,seals etc... then he needs to drop a grand right from the get go. Good chance the trans was never serviced if its slipping in and out of OD. Couple drain and refills with Honda DW-1 and adding Lube Guard Red would hopefully make it reliable and shift back to normal. I did acouple drain and fills on my Acura TL in signature at 60k and 90k using Honda DW-1 with full bottles of Lube Guard Red and made a huge difference within 250-500 miles on the first drain and refill. Getting ready to do another drain and refill with another bottle of Lube Guard Red here this weekend. This time, only adding 2 ounces of Lube Guard Red per quart of Honda DW-1. Who knows if he ever had the plugs changed on it neither???

At 160k I'd pass. I know they supposedly fixed the auto tranny by then but IMO it is still not bullet proof to 200k grade, just that it won't fail before 100k kind of reliability.

Back