Honda engine Vs Nissan

Hi BITOG,
We have 6 Nissan VQ 3.5L in the family, Muranos (2) and Maximas (4 of them, 11, 09 , 03 and 02), and about 4 Honda engines between 3.5L and 2.4L (Odesseys and CRV), all Nissan ones run on synthetic 5w30 (Synth Pennzoil or Mobil1) same for the Hondas (only difference is 5w20 or 0w20). (side note: Pennzoil UP is much quieter than Mobil1 in all)

ALL Honda engines are much smoother and quieter than the Nissan ones! especially when cold outside. ALL engines are meticulously maintained through out their lives!

Does the Xw20 oil make engines run smoother or it just Honda charm (or Nissan timing chains)?

Interested to hear your opinions!

I hear kind of a weird or grinding noise in my cars with timing chain. Basically not as smooth ... Maybe it's my imagination or just a coincidence.

What do you guys hear?

Originally Posted by PowerSurge
Honda engines overall are better engineered than Nissan.

Hmmmmm🤔
The Nissan 4.0L V6 is and maybe one of the best engines made. It's for sure the best V6 right now from a durability and reliability stand point.

Timing belts are quieter than chains. Period. However, presuming some attention to oil changes, a timing chain will - almost - never need replacement.

Originally Posted by KGMtech
Timing belts are quieter than chains. Period. However, presuming some attention to oil changes, a timing chain will - almost - never need replacement.

A nissan chain likely won't.

An eco boost or a chevy equinox chain might.

As for the Hondas being better engineered Im not so sure about that..

Wasn't the vq35 on ward best engines for like 10 years?

Neither my Maxima nor g35 ever gave me a lick of trouble.

Originally Posted by UncleDave
Pretty sure its chains vs belts.
Don't the 2.4L Honda engines use a chain ? Not all Honda engines use a timing belt.

Absolute opinion....

VQ engines are as stout as any V6 out there. Not perfect, as can be seen in some oil usage mostly at higher mileage, but stout nonetheless. Honda V6s are smooth, as eluded to previously, largely thanks to having a timing belt. A lot will fall apart on a Nissan before the engine starts giving you troubles.

However, I've never once met a person claim the Honda 2.4L to sound like a refined engine, nor have I ever heard a 2.4L sound refined myself. My guess, and I'm not trying to make this too personal, is that it's mostly in your head, since there's no empirical reason to believe that M1 is louder than Pennzoil, yet you claim that to be the case across all cars and all engines in your fleet.

Originally Posted by Propflux01
Timing belts still being used on Honda?

The J series engines use timing belts. Honda's 4 cylinders are all chains.

What year is your Maxima Uncle Dave and what is the mileage?

Originally Posted by JustN89

There were plenty of Honda I4's that are belts.

Currently all I4's are chains, but prior to 2003 that wasn't the case.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mahanddeem

What year is your Maxima Uncle Dave and what is the mileage?

It was a 95 sold (lol) to sister at 150K and went to 250 before she dumped it.

The G35 was an 06 I got rid of in 2000 when wife 2 arrived with a kids. I only had about 40K.

UD

A nissan chain likely won't.

An eco boost or a chevy equinox chain might.

As for the Hondas being better engineered Im not so sure about that..

Wasn't the vq35 on ward best engines for like 10 years?

Those Equinox 4 cylinders have crazy chain rattle!!

Originally Posted by ctechbob
Originally Posted by JustN89

There were plenty of Honda I4's that are belts.

Currently all I4's are chains, but prior to 2003 that wasn't the case.

Sure, I meant somewhat recently (within that last 17 years). Also, I should've specified K24A, which would be in his CR-Vs, and all timing chains.

I do not know, but what are the number of valves per cylinder these different engines have? My experience has been that 4 valves per cylinder makes a very smooth engine.

The K-series uses timing chains, so Nissan can't use that excuse
smirk2.gif

For your Nissans, I would suggest Castrol Edge 0w30 (if you can find it) or Rotella T6 5w30 or the equivalent Chevron Delo
I also know the VQ fuel injectors to be noisy.

01.gif

My 5.6 VK56 is smoother than - Oh yeah Honda doesnt make V8 at least that it puts in pickup trucks.

Love my J series 6 in the ridgeline, gonna hate replacing that belt....

UD

Originally Posted by mahanddeem
Hi BITOG,
We have 6 Nissan VQ 3.5L in the family, Muranos (2) and Maximas (4 of them, 11, 09 , 03 and 02), and about 4 Honda engines between 3.5L and 2.4L (Odesseys and CRV), all Nissan ones run on synthetic 5w30 (Synth Pennzoil or Mobil1) same for the Hondas (only difference is 5w20 or 0w20). (side note: Pennzoil UP is much quieter than Mobil1 in all)

ALL Honda engines are much smoother and quieter than the Nissan ones! especially when cold outside. ALL engines are meticulously maintained through out their lives!

Does the Xw20 oil make engines run smoother or it just Honda charm (or Nissan timing chains)?

Interested to hear your opinions!

Don't know but I will say my VQ motor has run very quiet on Mobil Super, Cam2 full synthetic and SuperproMax , Havoline DS and pro DS, Pennzoil Ultra...

I have run 29 different oils in my car... almost all 5w30..

Now at 304k plus miles.. car had 39,990 miles when I got it.. .

Back