2016 VW Golf Sportwagen Closing Review

Sold my 16 GSW 5MT. So what did i think after 4.5 years and 25k miles? Such a great economy car for anybody wanting a little more than a penalty box. Why did i sell? Well, my commute shortened dramatically, and we got a Regal TourX for the family wagon. I am now positioned to buy something with no regards to how fuel efficient it is, or if it fits car seats, ect. I also sold to invest that money today and finance another car later. Let the dividends pay for the new car payment.

The big pros:
Fuel economy never let me down. The 5 speed manual was geared perfectly for economy. Plenty of space to haul things inside. Really good winter car, warms up real fast.
Responds great to mods. Had GTI turbo and 274hp on mine and you'd never know it wasn't stock at part throttle.
Depreciation wasn't terrible, lost 7 grand on the base value, plus taxes/things i upgraded.

The Downside: Mine was only front wheel drive, so putting a lot of power to the ground was tricky.
I really can't think of much else wrong with these cars. They will be gone soon. I highly recommend to anyone putting a lot of miles on. Any wagon fans that want something lighter/more basic than a TourX, the golf is the way. The TourX is larger / more complicated.

Feel free to suggest cool cars for me to buy. Budget of 20-35k maybe. I'd like RWD and power. I'm wondering if i should wait a few more months for used values to drop?

Originally Posted by dareo
Feel free to suggest cool cars for me to buy. Budget of 20-35k maybe. I'd like RWD and power.

Mustang GT?

Challenger/Charger/300, either in 5.7 or 6.4 flavor, v8 Genesis, Stinger if you can get one under 35k, Chevy SS maybe?

V8 Genesis
laugh.gif

Not a Muffstain. Golf R? In 2020 Rumor has it that the Haldex is fully programmable for full rear if wanted and has a drift mode. Same 2.0L with about 300bhp. DSG only.

Last edited:
For newer stuff I'd have to agree the Stinger GT/GT2/GTS or the G70 are punching well above their price tags. For normally aspirated power it depends if you want nimble or a highway cruiser. A late C6 Corvette or a 13+ MB S550 or Lexus LS460 are all killer cars for that price, but I'd probably want a manufacturer extended warranty on any of them. You could also swing a later year limited slip diff Lexus IS-F for that, outdated tech but those are a lots and lots of fun.

A CPO M240i is almost quick(12.9 second 1/4 mile) and pretty versatile. It will even average @26 mpg in daily use.

I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on the new Jetta GLI. Seems like you already trust VW and they offer it in a 6 speed too. The Autobahn trim is a little out of my price range but it's within yours. I currently have a G37 S 6 speed that I would highly recommend to anyone, provided it doesn't have a sunroof drain leak (mine does unfortunately). Plenty of power, RWD, and well within your budget.

Go for that new GLI, you will like it, and it will be decently reliable. Its a great place to be for a commute. I've considered a slightly used Golf R but i think i will lean more towards a beefy RWD car of some sort. I like all the mentions here so far. Since i'm cheap, the market will likely choose a car for me by means of presenting a great deal.

Back