New car....conventional oil?

Have you used conventional oil exclusively in your new car or truck beginning with the first oil change, in the last 5 years?

Depends on the engine design.
If I had a new NA, port injected vehicle, sure, I wouldn't think twice about it.

But the reality is I don't. Neither do the majority of folks on the road these days.

Most of the "Conventional" oil that I run across is a syn blend.
I doubt there is much of any conventional blend left, unless it is for a specific application, such as air compressors, for instance.

Considering that conventional 5W-20 and 5W-30 PCMO is Group II+ and fewer and fewer OEMs are recommending conventional oil, they will disappear soon and only Group III and higher oils will remain. Any facility that makes Group II+ base stocks can easily convert the process into making Group III base stocks by running their process more severely, as the process for making Group III base stocks is identical to the process for making Group II base stocks, the only difference being the severity.

However, conventional Group II 15W-40 HDEO will remain there for a long time.

Originally Posted by gman2304
Have you used conventional oil exclusively in your new car or truck beginning with the first oil change, in the last 5 years?

How many true conventional oils still exist that meet the engine mfg requirements noted in owner manuals of most new cars and trucks?

I just put 4.5 quarts of Quaker state 5w-20 conventional last week in my new 2020 corolla 2.0 SE. Factory fill 0w-16 after 4000 miles of highway driving still looks nice and clear. I feel no change in acceleration and fuel economy switching to 5w20 from 0w16. I use the oil simply because it's the cheapest oil in my hand and I will have it changed at dealer for free at 10K miles.

Originally Posted by Cellist
I just put 4.5 quarts of Quaker state 5w-20 conventional last week in my new 2020 corolla 2.0 SE. Factory fill 0w-16 after 4000 miles of highway driving still looks nice and clear. I feel no change in acceleration and fuel economy switching to 5w20 from 0w16. I use the oil simply because it's the cheapest oil in my hand and I will have it changed at dealer for free at 10K miles.

No, you need to drain it at 5,000 miles. The TGMO 0W-16 (ExxonMobil version) is GTL, and the M1 AFE 0W-16 is PAO. You can't do a 10,000-mile OCI on a Group II oil.

No, although my new-to-me beater has been getting conventional, so, not sure if that is in the spirit of this thread.

Originally Posted by Gokhan
Originally Posted by Cellist

No, you need to drain it at 5,000 miles. The TGMO 0W-16 (ExxonMobil version) is GTL, and the M1 0W-16 is PAO. You can't do a 10,000-mile OCI on a Group II oil.

I believe the OP said he used QSAD for his own oil change at 4K miles, and the dealer would give him a freebie at 10K miles.

Our 2014 was purchased new
OM spec : 5W20, 5W30, 10W30 and No mention of using synthetic engine oil anywhere.

I used Chevron Supreme 5W30 and 10W30 dino for the first 3+ years.
5W30 is a blend but I didn't know. The bottle doesn't say blend but chevron website says blend. I learned that here.

I even asked a question here that why doesn't owners manual specify longer oci with syn and shorter with dino? Consensus were that it doesn't matter and it will do fine with either ...

I still use dino if I have left-overs and/or want to reduce my stash but change the oil sooner and basically ignore the recommended oci. If I use syn, then I go up to recommended oci +/-

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
I believe the OP said he used QSAD for his own oil change at 4K miles, and the dealer would give him a freebie at 10K miles.

Ah, OK.

Last new vehicle was bought 8 years ago, so no.
The Scion did get it's first 5 oil changes done at the dealer with TGMO, so it started out on conventional, but since then, it has nothing but synthetic (because with clearance, sales and rebates, synthetic is cheaper than "conventional").

I haven't used conventional oil since 1975. Nothing but synthetic for me.I tried Castrol synthetic for a while but have been using Mobil 1 since 1987.

Last edited:
Back