Karosene alternative

Is there an alternative cleaner to Karosene that I can use to clean the head gasket residue left behind on the cylinder head.

Can't find Karosene at hardware stores.
One guy from HD said he heard it was outlawed in CA.

Any advice is greatly appreciated

I like the Home Depot guy said he herd part of any postings.. Carefully scrape or use paint remover. Kerosene isn't the best solvent. There are gasket removers in spray cans but it is paint remover.

I've used diesel fuel, or even gasoline (wear gloves!) as parts cleaner in the past. Diesel is basically a heavier, lesser refined version of K1 anyway. As always, never smoke or clean near open flames, outside is always better!

First try a plastic scraper tool, but yes, diesel is what I'd use instead. Gas would work even better but far more flammable and dealing with the fumes is an issue unless it's a very well ventilated area. You can mix diesel and gas, to make it a bit more active but not fume so readily as straight gas. That would be superior to kerosene. I use that, with a little oil added too, for a far less expensive substitute for "goo gone" to clean gummy sticker or duct tape, etc adhesive residue off of things.

Last edited:
But since you are from CA, you may have to find a solvent that is safe to use. Maybe something like Ivory Liquid (with low VOC emissions) would do the job. If that doesn't work it may be possible to step up to something stronger, like Simple Green.

Try WD 40 (mostly kerosene) or even (keep this quiet) Carb Cleaner. Don't forget to take your ID to buy it!
lol.gif

Id use mineral spirits if I couldnt find kerosene. Diesel would also be an option, but it will smell worse/longer if it gets onto something.

Mineral Spirits are easy to find and safe to use. if you need something stronger use lacquer thinner. Non-Chlorinated Brake Cleaner is mostly Acetone so you could try that also.

Since you plan to use it as a solvent instead of a fuel, mineral spirits, braker cleaner, carb cleaner, acetone, etc are all excellent solvents. Diesel is the closest thing to Kerosene, and both Diesel and gasoline are good solvents.

I use acetone to clean gasket surfaces because it is very effective, dries quickly, and leaves no residue and its cheaper than brake clean if you buy it by the gallon, although brake clean works very well too. Make sure the head and block surfaces are completely free of any gasket residue and oil before reassembly. I wouldn't use kerosene or diesel to clean the surfaces because they leave an oily residue. Hope this helps and good luck with your project!
grin.gif

Back