Fram Extra Guard - 10k mile filter?

Just doing my normal quarantine surfing the web and I came across what looks to be a new packaging for Fram filters. The package shows that Fram Extra guard is now a 10k filter for roughly ~$4, and you can step up to the Tough guard for 15k mile protection. Would you guys trust a Extra guard for 10k miles? Did they change the media or has it always been able to do it, its just now they can 'prove it'. Thanks for any insight!

Screen Shot 2020-04-27 at 3.18.54 PM.png

Originally Posted by TrainingPolicy
Would you guys trust a Extra guard for 10k miles? Did they change the media or has it always been able to do it, its just now they can 'prove it'.

I think a few guys here have done more than 10K on an EG, even before it was rated for 10K. Stude did 28K miles on a TG, he recently posted that filter in this forum.

Originally Posted by walterjay
Maybe. But would you go 10K on a turbo direct injected engine?

Nope not a good idea.

I think it has been capable of it all along, but now they are changing the label because of marketing. Most manufacturers now specify oil changes every 10,000 miles or to follow the oil life monitor. It's simply a way of stating the filter meets the minimum spec required by manufacturers.

Honda trusts them for 20k. The minder can suggest an OCI as high 20k, and the most recent pre-MM Hondas of the early 00s suggested a 10k OCI, and in both cases, Honda says to only change the oil filter every other OCI, which would make it 20k on the filter. The A02 is a PH7317

Absolutely, almost 9k on the one on our Tiguan as it sits now. I do the VW 10k OCIs on it and have used Fram orange PH10600 the last two changes without the slightest concern.

I've heard that the Tough Guard is going away, and now the Extra Guard/PH series has a silicone ADBV-it's going to be up to the individual as to whether their engine can handle it or not. My xB, sure-but the F-450 IDI 7.3, don't think I would try it.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Honda trusts them for 20k. The minder can suggest an OCI as high 20k, and the most recent pre-MM Hondas of the early 00s suggested a 10k OCI, and in both cases, Honda says to only change the oil filter every other OCI, which would make it 20k on the filter. The A02 is a PH7317

A02 from what I have seen is a TG7317.

I put 18,000 miles on an Ultra. I trust their marketing claims. The cartridge filters seem very well made and messy and a pain to change so I let them go two oil changes now.

Originally Posted by walterjay
Maybe. But would you go 10K on a turbo direct injected engine?

Yeap, without hesitation. Well, I routinely go 8000+ miles and have gone 9500+ a time or two.

Originally Posted by TrainingPolicy
Just doing my normal quarantine surfing the web and I came across what looks to be a new packaging for Fram filters. The package shows that Fram Extra guard is now a 10k filter for roughly ~$4, and you can step up to the Tough guard for 15k mile protection. Would you guys trust a Extra guard for 10k miles? Did they change the media or has it always been able to do it, its just now they can 'prove it'. Thanks for any insight!

the new boxes are at the end of this recent posting.

Link

It seemed they upped the change interval to 10k when the ADBV was changed to silicon.

Last edited:
Their construction seems well up to the task of a 10k interval. Very solid filter for the money.

Since this is BITOG and we like to split frog hairs, I will say I have not seen whether or not they've updated the PH16 and PH8A.. both of which had skimpy media.

On the pH 16th and pH 8A they have updated the anti drain back valve to Silicon. Not sure if it jumped at 10,000 miles though.

Back