2021 Corvette "engine needs to be running to check oil"?

GM is still in love with M1 aren't they.... must be getting it cheap...
smile.gif

Side note, I didn't know you could get the ESP formula in 0W40.... I'd rather use that in my TDi versus the 5W30 it calls for. Theres just something in me that wants great HTHS for a turbo diesel.

Interesting that it's a PF64 (Ecore?) & not a UPF64R? Being a dry sump system, it'll have a reservoir to check oil level (you guys all beat me to the dry sump punch!).

2021 Corvette "engine needs to be running to check oil"?

Owner's manual of our Q5 mentions the same thing, in order to get an accurate reading on the digital display.

But if you buy a physical dipstick (one isn't included from the factory), you can check it at any time.

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
It's a dry sump

Yep ... different oil level checking procedure.

Adding-the M1 ESP 0W40 is apparently so new that Mobil doesn't even list a PDS for it in the USA yet, although Summit Racing & others seem to carry it for a somewhat reasonable price. Might be a decent oil for a race LS engine (although the cat would be the first thing gone, meaning any HDEO could be used).

What was that stuff in the aerosol can Phil sprayed on the filter and drain plug once he reinstalled them?

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
What was that stuff in the aerosol can Phil sprayed on the filter and drain plug once he reinstalled them?

Some kind of cleaner ... brake cleaner perhaps.

Actually, that's a 2020 Corvette, which is the first year of the C8 Vette.

Phil looks down the center tube of the oil filter for "metal shavings". That's the clean side of the filter, so you will never see any debris in that location. I'd be cutting the filter open for an inspection between the pleats.

Phil also didn't seem to tighten the oil filter very tight ... looked like about 1/2 turn by hand. Filter access is bad for a hand tightening. I'd be using an end cap tool and marking the filter for a 3/4~7/8 turn.

Checking dry sump with engine running is common. Wait until a old Harley drains down, the owner adds oil, then starts it and it is overfilled and oil goes all over.

Re the government motors comment, this is a superior system. When you do not know what you are talking about, better to keep your mouth shut, rather than expose your lack of knowledge and remove all doubt.

Rod

Re the government motors comment, this is a superior system. When you do not know what you are talking about, better to keep your mouth shut, rather than expose your lack of knowledge and remove all doubt.

+1

So it's a dry sump. I don't see a huge mystery here.

Same as on the older 911 and many other dry sump cars. Nothing new or different for this type of system.
The Government motors comment by one poster is way out of line, this is one of the best cars in the world at any price but at 60K its a steal.

Originally Posted by Trav
Same as on the older 911 and many other dry sump cars. Nothing new or different for this type of system.
The Government motors comment by one poster is way out of line, this is one of the best cars in the world at any price but at 60K its a steal.

Yep. Great car except the terrible interior.

Originally Posted by Trav

+1 … bang for the buck like no other …

But if I'm ever shopping a 2004 Corolla …

Originally Posted by JohnG

+1

So it's a dry sump. I don't see a huge mystery here.

My corvette has a dry sump and you don't check the oil when the engine is running. You're supposed to check it between 5-15 minutes after the engine has been shut off (of course after it's operating temp first)

I don't know but did they eliminate the dip stick on the C8's? If not, then i don't see the logic in checking the oil with the engine running. Still getting the C8 Z06 though.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Another reason not to buy a Government Motors car.

Don't know about the interior, but the exterior and engine bay are beautiful, ALMOST too pretty to drive. GM makes some decent stuff, Express/Savana full size vans, for example, that are superior to anything else for their application. Unfortunately the bean counters are getting their hooks in everywhere.

Originally Posted by jimmyturner
I don't know but did they eliminate the dip stick on the C8's? If not, then i don't see the logic in checking the oil with the engine running. Still getting the C8 Z06 though.

He pulled the dipstick many times in the video.

Back