TSX Blown cooling fan fuse

My car was blowing the 20 amp cooling fan fuse. The problem was a shorted fan motor. Brush pack in fan motor was at about 20 percent. Replaced the fan assembly with a TYC unit.

IMG_20200426_080836438.jpg

IMG_20200426_082200584.jpg

IMG_20200426_081356275.jpg

IMG_20200426_081249683.jpg

Last edited:
Car has 135k miles on it, first problem that I have had with it. I would like to see the guts of an aftermarket fan motor to compare brush lengths and construction.

After the brushes wear out the motor will just stop. Blown fuse would mean too much current consumption such as having the bearings freeze up.

Originally Posted by mk378
After the brushes wear out the motor will just stop. Blown fuse would mean too much current consumption such as having the bearings freeze up.

Strange thing about this is that the bearings were not locked up? I thought that maybe that the worn brush material was conductive and shorting out the fan. The fan was full of the dust.

When I have a motor apart like that I take some emery cloth to the commutator to clean it up an then, using a tiny pick, I scrape out the groves between the copper segments. Seems to help.

Sometimes the windings just short out, given enough heat and time, but I would have tried cleaning up the commutator including the grooves as WobblyElvis mentioned, and degunking the whole thing, and lubing the bearings (I mean if sleeve bushings). That Denso made in Japan was probably as good as it gets, I wouldn't expect similar life from a TYC in the same conditions but you do what you have to...

Originally Posted by Dave9
Sometimes the windings just short out, given enough heat and time, but I would have tried cleaning up the commutator including the grooves as WobblyElvis mentioned, and degunking the whole thing, and lubing the bearings (I mean if sleeve bushings). That Denso made in Japan was probably as good as it gets, I wouldn't expect similar life from a TYC in the same conditions but you do what you have to...

I problem I had was getting the case apart without damaging the connector, I needed to take dikes to the plastic. Back in 1998 I was able to repair a condenser fan motor by changing out the $5 bearing. They did not have aftermarket motors back then. I just needed to peak inside.

Back