2017 Mazda CX-5 Touring

Originally Posted by painfx
So I've heard great things about the 2.5L Skyactiv engine. I am also looking to buy a CUV. It looks like the CX-5 beats the RAV4 and CRV in terms of horsepower, being a semi-luxury-sporty CUV, good handling, they also sound deadened the CX-5 more on this year and it is much quieter, which is a plus. Engines are strong. Transmission is also a strong point.

Now enough with the PROS, what about the CONS? Can you guys share your experience before I pull the trigger getting a 2017 CX5 Touring.

Thanks soo much!

The Skactiv engines and transmissions are solid. They also have a good AWD system that is, IMO, better than both the Rav4 and CRV. Skactiv engines are quite durable. They also don't suffer from excessive intake valve deposits like other GDI engines.

We have no complaints with the 3 Mazdas (a 3, a CX3 and a CX5) in the family.

SEPARATE LEGITIMATE QUESTION...asked in a playful way: Is there an accepted scale of "power adequacy"? It seems there's always a camp that says they need more power.
Seven adults with luggage in a car in Colorado needs power. I get that.

It's just that the scale which exists now is, "too low - barely gets up to ramp speed - 320+ hp"

Gotta look into a Faraday Pouch. Are these the silvery ones circuit boards come in?

You don't need good batteries in the fob to start the car. Hold one end of the fob right against the start button when pushing it in. Owners manual has instructions.

Originally Posted by Kira

SEPARATE LEGITIMATE QUESTION...asked in a playful way: Is there an accepted scale of "power adequacy"? It seems there's always a camp that says they need more power.

It's just that the scale which exists now is, "too low - barely gets up to ramp speed - 320+ hp"

Gotta look into a Faraday Pouch. Are these the silvery ones circuit boards come in?

This is the pouch I got.

https://e-forensic.ca/products/siforce-faraday-bags/

As for power that's a personal view. I've had four passengers with luggage in mine. Never had a complaint. I don't need to go from 0 to 60 in under five seconds. Merging onto freeways was no problem.

Originally Posted by jjw6455
You don't need good batteries in the fob to start the car. Hold one end of the fob right against the start button when pushing it in. Owners manual has instructions.

But you need a good battery to unlock the door before you can start it.

Originally Posted by The Critic
CONS? It is ridiculously small compared to the CR-V, or even the RAV4.

Smaller, not ridiculously smaller. All the reviews say so. Plenty of room for us. We have a 2018 Sport AWD just turned 9000 miles. No issues. Mazda, not Mazda Value oil filter and Zepro Advanced Moly 0W-20 twice a year.

My sister-in- law stopped by yesterday with her 2015 CX-5...she bought it new and has had no real problems at 142K. I checked her
oil and it was at the bottom line of the stick...so I added 3/4 of a quart. Would you recommend going up to 5w30 now that she's
nearing 150K? I told her I'd change it for her but I'm not sure if that's a good idea.

PS: I also think her coolant and ATF are original but I'm not sure if I want to go there..

There is a regular hard key at the bottom of the fob, unlocks drivers door, pulls out, it's in the manual.

The chassis would support 280-320awhp very well if the brakes and tires were upgraded. I feel 250 is a bit lacking in my turbo, but the torque and gearing make up for it. I had a 2018 loaner for a few days and it felt anemic. I was scared to pass on the country mountain roads in cases where my turbo breeds confidence. The turbo could be faster for sure, but its 100% adequate. The 2.5 na motor? It feels very lacking to me. If I never went on road trips ornover 80mph, it would probably be okay, but it struggles badly on the freeway. In fact, my 2019 turbo gets better mpg than my 2015 non turbo cx5 did on road trips as well as daily driving, because it's not always struggling.

There is 2.5 with turbo and diesel versions too, so plentiful choices on CX-5 for OP

Originally Posted by Ws6
If I never went on road trips ornover 80mph, it would probably be okay, but it struggles badly on the freeway.

Where are you driving over 80mph? That's reckless driving in VA.

Interesting...Thanks, I just found the info in the manual, as you indicated. I have not read the manual completely (only maintenance section) but wife supposedly did...
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by glock19
Originally Posted by Ws6
If I never went on road trips ornover 80mph, it would probably be okay, but it struggles badly on the freeway.

Speed limit in many areas I travel is a marked 75 and 85mph. Flow of traffic is about 5-10 over typically. VA is small. I drive in big states with open roads.

In Colorado in any kind of SUV, small, big, if it does not have at minimum 200lb-ft of torque, it is not adequate, and I am talking empty vehicle. And those 200lb-ft better be turbo charged. Otherwise, at least 6 pistons.

Originally Posted by edyvw

In Colorado in any kind of SUV, small, big, if it does not have at minimum 200lb-ft of torque, it is not adequate, and I am talking empty vehicle. And those 200lb-ft better be turbo charged. Otherwise, at least 6 pistons.

I've never driven at elevation before, really, but a simple online calculator shows just how absolutely destructive it is to NA engine output. This is part of why I view FI as the future of vehicles, just like EFI was to carburetor.

I haven't really heard anything bad about Mazda vehicles lately. However, I have heard quite a few complaints about Mazda dealerships. I haven't visited my local Mazda dealer in a long time, but you might want to make sure you like the local dealer before you commit.

That's not a good reflection on Mazda for owners or customers in that area. Fortunately Mazda's do seem to be trouble free and a brand I'd easily consider using a reputable service shop that isn't the actual dealer in that situation. I think the reason I see quite a few Mazda's here is the strength of the dealer, sales and service shop reputation combined.
Whatever is going on at a sub par service shop or dealer would be nice to have it rise to the attn. so Mazda Corp can fix or correct.
I also know the way I handle a situation and communicate issues as a customer can have much to do with how I'm treated and the outcome. There are times I soon realize the same few folks always seem to be the one's having problems other's don't have. I tend to consider a bigger sampling at times or thinking back to certain customers I recall having to deal with. Hanging around on car forums, I'm sure many of us see or hear that sort of pattern at times.

Many of the modern things I've ridden in, driven or tested feel heavy and cumbersome off the start. If I want it to get up and go, they'll do it but I have to communicate with a heavy stab. Some feel like the default is starting out in 2nd gear, designing the transmission to help the car sip fuel the only way a trans can do that.
Stretch out the shifts with little to no drama. Here, elevation is a significant thing. Hills , mountains and a nearly 3% drop in hp output per 1000 feet. From my home state of Michigan, I'm penalized nearly 20%.
33.gif

I had to try that once. Worked just fine !
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by The Critic
CONS? It is ridiculously small compared to the CR-V, or even the RAV4.

I agree, I wish it was reasonably sized as my wife/I loved it but 3 kids was instant no go. For better or worst got 2018 Tiguan(3 row).

Originally Posted by Ws6

Normal day in MA and somewhat NH. Regionally dependent for sure.

Back