Warren brand oil New oil smell (Different)

I just started using supertech and Kirkland brand syn oils
5w 30 Kirkland, 5w 30 Hm supertech and 10w 30 supertech

I have noticed all 3 smell the same, different/stronger oil smell than castrol/penzoil/mobil 1/Q.S. synthetics.
Not that I sniff oil but when you pour it the smell does hit you, so I smelled them all to compare.
Any ideas why ?
Add packs ? not refined as much ? Less syn oil ?
I don't have any non-syn oil to compare it too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tblt44
I just started using supertech and Kirkland brand syn oils
5w 30 Kirkland, 5w 30 Hm supertech and 10w 30 supertech

I have noticed all 3 smell the same, different/stronger oil smell than castrol/penzoil/mobil 1/Q.S. synthetics.
Not that I sniff oil but when you pour it the smell does hit you, so I smelled them all to compare.
Any ideas why ?
Add packs ? not refined as much ? Less syn oil ?
I don't have any non-syn oil to compare it too.

No idea. Some of the old CASTROL Synblend I used had a grape smell to it new and used
smile.gif

If you scratch the label you can get a whiff of what it'll smell like once you open it. Not a lot of people know that.

I always preferred Ashland oils - Valvoline/Napa syn and conventional for the smell.
Supertech is a close second.

I'll admit, I purposefully take a sniff now and then during the 'ol oil change. Can't break the habit - or don't want to.

In all seriousness, I don't think the human schnoz can detect content differences in motor oils.

The most refreshing oil aroma is actually the Mobil 1 products that are formulated with Alkylated Naphthalene (AN). A slight minty solvent-like smell.

I have detected an almost citrus-like aroma of some Elf (Total) motor oils. Not sure what's responsible for that. Both their diesel oil and their 4T motorcycle oil had hint of that scent.

I taste mine after chilling them in the freezer for 30 minutes, it reduces the floral note and helps give a better taste profile.

Even though I enjoy the double-blind taste test as much as the next guy, I found that as long as the oil is certified, I will never be able to tell any difference in the performance of two oils, even over the entire lifetime of a vehicle.

Originally Posted by Zaedock
I always preferred Ashland oils - Valvoline/Napa syn and conventional for the smell.
Supertech is a close second.

I'll admit, I purposefully take a sniff now and then during the 'ol oil change. Can't break the habit - or don't want to.

In all seriousness, I don't think the human schnoz can detect content differences in motor oils.

I wonder what Valvoline and Napa smell like now?

No I'm serious guys it smells more like gas than others.
Nothing like gear oil smell maybe like some grease a bit

Originally Posted by mpack88
I've noticed that Warren transmission fluids stink like [censored].

AMSOIL OE ATF stank up my car so bad OMG. yes it was in sealed containers. None of them leaked but the smell permeated through the containers. So I changed my transmission fluid in my truck just to use it up ...‚

checking oil before leaving the store, especially Wallys is a must. i got a USED container once + now i check. Wallys was great + took it for another without question

Originally Posted by shrooms
We're smelling oils now?
confused.gif

Only the most discriminating bitoger's, mind you. The real connoisseurs. Everyone knows that the most astute oil analysis laboratory technicians pour a swig of the about-to-be-tested motor oil into a wine glass first and swish it around in a circular motion under their nose for an evaluative whiff or two, before the VOA is commenced. Well, at least I think Blackstone probably does.

Good reminder … I never checked that Delvac 1 … how thoughtless of me. 🤪

Originally Posted by mpack88
I've noticed that Warren transmission fluids stink like [censored].

Don't worry... The Eneos CVT fluid smells so strong it's knock over a dead standing mule ... it's is like used urine filled cat litter that sat in a hot car 170 degrees plus for several days in a row.

Back