Harley main shaft seal (pics)

Bike was leaking on side stand after riding. Has anyone seen a seal in this condition? What is a possible cause!
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

5FBDCBA3-2A18-4A17-BD22-AA27254F61FD.jpeg

DC04F55E-4A20-4A4F-9EFA-7B9B56C80BD5.jpeg

E6EAEE8B-30FE-4A33-B4B6-F889CCCAD5B0.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks like the rubber got effected by something and distorted the lip. What kind of oil is in contact with that seal?

Originally Posted by fonecord2
Gear oil. Usually redline heavy shockproof. Bike has over 50k and 17 years old.

Which one? There is redline heavy shockproof and then there's V-twin Shockproof? They are not created equal.

Age , low mileage, and drying out are probably why it's leaking. You might try a heavier oil , but it looks like you already have it torn down so now the best time to replace the seal. It won't get better by itself.,,,

Originally Posted by Tman220
Gear oil. Usually redline heavy shockproof. Bike has over 50k and 17 years old.

Which one? There is redline heavy shockproof and then there's V-twin Shockproof? They are not created equal.

I take that back, says right on Redline's website the V-twin transmission fluid with shockproof is the same fluid as Heavy shockproof

I have seen Harley seals like that before. Harley Main shaft seals are known to fail. I have had them fail a few times over the years. If I remember right there was an updated seal at sometime.

I'm trying to figure out if the bearing made contact with the seal or something else caused it to distort. Thanks for the input.

Maybe contact with some strong cleaner from the outside.

When seals are made the rubber compounds used are cured by heat after being molded to the metal ring. These compounds are kept cool in a temperature controlled
area until ready for use. The composition of the compound ,storage temperature, curing temperature and age all have an effect on the quality of the seals produced. Are
these USA seals?

I'm trying to figure out if the bearing made contact with the seal or something else caused it to distort. Thanks for the input.

Don't know about your specific question but a bad bearing can take out a seal over time.

Originally Posted by Mike72
Maybe contact with some strong cleaner from the outside.

When seals are made the rubber compounds used are cured by heat after being molded to the metal ring. These compounds are kept cool in a temperature controlled
area until ready for use. The composition of the compound ,storage temperature, curing temperature and age all have an effect on the quality of the seals produced. Are
these USA seals? It's the stock seal from 2003. The quad seal looked like new.

Don't know about your specific question but a bad bearing can take out a seal over time.[/quote] bearing seemed fine. Isn't marking a grinding noise.

bearing seemed fine. Isn't marking a grinding noise.

How's the radial play? Being a roller bearing, there should be no noticeable radial play in the shaft.

Back