Guidance for Oil Leak '98 LS400

Just got my valve covers replaced on my '98 LS400 and all was well until a test drive and found an oil leak near the oil filter. Mechanic said it was an oil cooler hose that went to what he called
the "sandwich." He noticed smoke coming from under the hood after the test drive. He said he had to add 1 qt of oil.

I asked him about what happened and he said it looked like the hose had slipped partially off. He trimmed 1/4 inch off the end of the hose and used a different clamp to hold it on.

I have the car up on some ramps getting ready to do some looking around. If someone replaced the valve covers, is there a reason to be near the oil cooler line right above the oil
filter? I may not be fully understanding the scenario. Should I find this hose and replace it?

Originally Posted by JMJNet
Did you search at the Lexus forums?

No yet. They "suck" compared to you guys.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by Barkleymut
310k on the original hose that has already failed and been repaired, absolutely time to replace it.

Now I gotta find the darn thing.

Originally Posted by Gebo
If someone replaced the valve covers, is there a reason to be near the oil cooler line right above the oil filter?

Are you insinuating that he scammed you for add'l repair work ? 300k miles and you're questioning a hose failure....
confused2.gif

Originally Posted by JMJNet
Did you search at the Lexus forums?

No yet. They "suck" compared to you guys.
thumbsup2.gif

Thanks but they probably have this on their FAQ already.

Yes, at that mileage, I will change just about all the rubber parts or metal crimped rubber parts.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
If someone replaced the valve covers, is there a reason to be near the oil cooler line right above the oil filter?

Are you insinuating that he scammed you for add'l repair work ? 300k miles and you're questioning a hose failure....
confused2.gif

C'mon, hallstevenson. Don't play a mind reader. LOL

I am wondering if in the process of replacing the valve covers he could have moved the hose on accident. He only charged me $85 to fix my door hinge,
replace the valve covers and clean my headlights. One time he lied to me and I caught him and he apologized. He has never scammed me that I am
aware of.
grin.gif

Originally Posted by Barkleymut
ha, good luck. Those mirrors on a stick are a God send for these types of projects.

LOL. Thanks for the reminder.

Back