Honda engine

I have a Northstar generator with a Honda GX620 20 H.P. It has around 100 hours on it. I used Napa universal fleet 15-40 in it for the first two oil changes. It calls for 10-30 or 30W. I see now Honda has a synthetic oil for their power equipment. I am now thinking of using a 10-40 synthetic maybe like Shell Rotella or M1 15-40 Delvac. These oils are higher in zinc than car oils and this is a flat tappet engine and works hard here in South Florida. It had done fine on the Napa but requires 50 hour oil changes. I'm thinking I can go to 75 with a good syn. Thoughts anyone?

How much does it hold? I have synthetic in my small generator, but it only holds like .6 quarts. So i will change at 50hrs.

There was a person on the site from Calgary. Clevey, I think. He hasn't posted in a while.

He had over 20 Honda powered generators and compressors for his home construction business. They run all day, 7 days a week. He used 5W30 in the winter, 15W40 in the summer. Conventional. 100 hour OCI. His highest time engine was over 10,000 hours.

I think 15W40 changed every 50 hours will work just fine.

Here in FL, an oil with an HTHS of 3.5-3.8 will work quite well in quality air cooled engines. I tend to use M1, 5W-40 Turbo Diesel Truck in my higher quality engines and Mobil 1 15W-50 in my Subaru powered portable generator (which may now be near 2000 hours) (as that beastie works at 100% load much of the time) .

I've found that the 100 hour oil changes specified in the owners manuals are no problem with synthetic oils. It's been many years since I've done a UOA on my OPE, but never an issue at 100 hours.

I think 50-75 hr oil changes with 15w40 would be more than sufficient.... there is a 2004 craftsman mower in the family that still has the original oil and still going fine ( maybe an ounce added here or there). OPE doesn't seem to care as long as there is oil in it.

Originally Posted by Cujet
Here in FL, an oil with an HTHS of 3.5-3.8 will work quite well in quality air cooled engines. I tend to use M1, 5W-40 Turbo Diesel Truck in my higher quality engines and Mobil 1 15W-50 in my Subaru powered portable generator (which may now be near 2000 hours) (as that beastie works at 100% load much of the time) .

I've found that the 100 hour oil changes specified in the owners manuals are no problem with synthetic oils. It's been many years since I've done a UOA on my OPE, but never an issue at 100 hours.

I agree that in the Florida heat, a HDEO is probably ideal. Anything from SuperTech 15w40 to Rotella Synthetic 5w40 will work fine for 100 hours, no need for anything fancy, just keep the level full.

Honda recommends 6 month or 100 hour changes. 75 hours on the Napa 15w-40 or any other reputable 15w-40 HDEO would be fine.

They also recommend 200 hour filter changes. I hope someone doesn't see this.

Last edited:
I'll probably stick with the NAPA 15-40. I also use it in my 4 stroke outboard for ten years noe. That gets a once a year oil change and that is usually 50 70 hours. Yamaha says 100 so I'm good. I've sent samples to Blackstone and they come back perfect every time. Most 4 stroke outboard oil is rebadged deisel oil. The NAPA is also. I have 12 gallons left and It works , so I'll use it. Honda says 100 hours on their strait 30W so if I have to run a week I should be good going 80 or so hrs.

Last edited:
*I use 5W30 M1 or similar... I believe Honda recommends a 30 weight (or any derivative in a 30 weight such as 5W, 10W 15W , etc.) ??

Back