Need a car in the Camp Pendleton, CA area

My grand niece, joined the Marine Corps right outta high school. She was recently stationed at Camp Pendleton Marine Corp base for the next 2 to 3 years.
I am looking for a Civic or Corolla with reasonable miles in excellent condition.

I live in Silicon Valley, which is a good 7 hours away from the Carlsbad area.
Cash is not an issue.

Last summer I told Tatiana if she graduated from college I would buy her a Tesla.
Just trying to dangle that carrot..
Tati snapped back, "Uncle Jeff if I graduate from college I can buy my own Tesla."
Bullet proof kid.

If you have a vehicle or perhaps know of a trusted dealership rep, please let me know. Thank you.

I vote for you to give her the TSX and make the Model 3 into Sue's daily driver.

I'd avoid dealerships around bases period and the used car market in those areas too. If you want to help her then have her use some leave to visit you to check whats available in your area.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by brslds
I'd avoid dealerships around bases period and the used car market in those areas too. If you want to help her then have her use some leave to visit you to check whats available in your area.

X2
wink.gif

Look at insurance prices before you decide. It use to be full coverage on a Honda Civic was the most expensive vehicle to insure in it's segment, don't know if it still is.

you are a nice uncle, jeffkeryk. as others have very correctly said, be very wary of buying used cars near military bases. rather than a small car, how about going up a notch in size, for more comfort and safety? a cpo, 6sp auto trans, toyota camry from a large dealer further afield is my suggestion.

Originally Posted by jstert
and may i add, if your grandniece isn't already a usaa member she should join.

Amen.

first, you are a good uncle.
also, you are a god uncle for dangling the carrot for college/education. also GI Joe bill? I understand some where capable of doing service and going to college at the same time....

May I also insert another carrot, meaning, there are some armed forces members that make really good money investing in targeted real estate, marketing to other armed forces members. As always, you have to be really really informed before doing it.

now back to topic, instead of chasing what everybody wants, why not take the already suggested and look for mid-size (ford fusion, camry, passat (wagon?), ) since availability and insurance rates will be better...

Whay when people say Niece or Daughter they immediatly think

Corolla or Civic?

Poor Kid stuck in a boring appliance.

How bout a Jeep

Or a 2015 Mazda Mx-5.

Or a classic mid 60's Malibu or Firebird?

Gotta have Fun when your Young !

Just finished 2nd trans service...
Oil change, 4qts M1 0w20 and Fram XG7317
Honda Air filter (thanks Critic), Cabin Air Filter
Aired up tires, all low. Inspected tires (Continentals, seem pretty new), brakes (original pads), battery is new.
Spark Plugs, NGK double electrode (thanks Critic)
warshed, vacummed and Turtle Wax Spray wax (easy peasy)
Goes in to body shop for rear dent tomorrow, $600. I thought this was a pop out, but I was wrong.

Will drive to Camp Pendleton, about 500 miles, next Saturday, deliver car to Tatiana and fly home from San Diego.
All in, including tax, flights, etc I am under $11K

IMG_20200430_161756.jpg

IMG_20200503_133053.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by The Critic
$600 to repair that dent is cheap! Where is this body shop?

The Great Auto Paint

Alex is the owner of The Great Auto Paint in Campbell, not far from my house.
He does all the high end work for the local exotics.
You will often see a Lambo, Aston Martin or Ferrari at his shop from everything for scratch repair with paint match to a crunched Italian fender.... Ouch.
Alex has worked on our TSX and GS; his work is simply the best.
Sue was driving on 880 North when a truck tire blew; she swerved but a large piece of rubber damaged the front and side of the GS.
He saves customers money by keeping his overhead low; it is a small shop.

Local Tesla owners ask me about body work; Alex is the only place I would consider.
We are friends; he gives me more than fair prices. He is a good guy.

I will post pics later this week when I get the car back. My guess is you will never know the dent was there.

Back