2017 Mazda CX-5 Touring

So I've heard great things about the 2.5L Skyactiv engine. I am also looking to buy a CUV. It looks like the CX-5 beats the RAV4 and CRV in terms of horsepower, being a semi-luxury-sporty CUV, good handling, they also sound deadened the CX-5 more on this year and it is much quieter, which is a plus. Engines are strong. Transmission is also a strong point.

Now enough with the PROS, what about the CONS? Can you guys share your experience before I pull the trigger getting a 2017 CX5 Touring.

Thanks soo much!

Originally Posted by painfx
So I've heard great things about the 2.5L Skyactiv engine. I am also looking to buy a CUV. It looks like the CX-5 beats the RAV4 and CRV in terms of horsepower, being a semi-luxury-sporty CUV, good handling, they also sound deadened the CX-5 more on this year and it is much quieter, which is a plus. Engines are strong. Transmission is also a strong point.

Now enough with the PROS, what about the CONS? Can you guys share your experience before I pull the trigger getting a 2017 CX5 Touring.

Thanks soo much!

I felt like the 2.5 NA engine was underpowered in the 2017+. However, if you are not going to go with one of the turbo models or an RDX/GLC300/X3, I'd go with the 2017 cx5 over others in its class.

*owned a 2015 touring cx5, own a 2019 turbo cx5.

I don't have a 2017, ours is a 2016 CX-5 with the 2.5 liter.

It's a decent sized, fun driving CUV. Still drives very "Mazda" like, which is a good thing. It's big enough for my three person family, with room to bring our dog if we want to. No regrets in buying it. Bought it used, with 6,000 miles on it at the end of 2017 for approximately $18,000 OTD. We have 44,000 miles on it now. Just ordered tires for it. Factory tires got good milage compared to what we are used to getting here in Florida. No major issues with it, in the time that we have owned it. Interior plastics can be fragile (handles and latches) on the center console and seats. Dealership replaced them for free even after the bumper to bumper warranty expired. Burns approximately 1.0 to 1.5 quarts of oil in 5,000 miles. It has since we purchased it ,and hasent gotten any worse in the time. Tried all different kinds of oils, didn't make any difference. I don't worry about the consumption anymore. I continue to use name brand synthetic 0W-20 oil, changed every 5,000 miles. We'll see if we can get 200,000 miles out of this one.

This is the second Mazda that we have owned. Last one was a slightly used, 2009 Mada 3 that we put 150,000 miles on before we traded it in on the CX-5 above. If it fits your needs, it's a good vehicle for the money.

Last edited:
I believe the CX-5 is in a shootout / comparo test latest Car and Driver.
It seems to consistently win a lot of these through the years as did or does the CX-9 but the nice thing is these comparisons offer good user input, gripes or nags and the attributes as well.
Comfort, trim, upscale interior or well - though-out placement of controls or screen ? Ample luggage room or average ? It's great to compare that stuff and also the get input from seasoned drivers or enthusiasts car reviews sometimes offer.
The only thing I know for certain is in that last issue I gave to a friend who is considering the same purchase, it's the nicest looking of the those tested although I had not yet read the test details or results. Guessing it's #1 or 2 though. Nice thing is you can see point values by category to easily identify your own hot-buttons to how they are graded.

We have the first year / 2nd gen CX-9 Touring, a 2016. I can vouch for Mazda upscale build and interior and we get lots of compliments by others. We are sub 30k miles thus far, nothing but impressed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bachman
I believe the CX-5 is in a shootout / comparo test latest Car and Driver.
It seems to consistently win a lot of these through the years as did or does the CX-9 but the nice thing is these comparisons offer good user input, gripes or nags and the attributes as well.
Comfort, trim, upscale interior or well - though-out placement of controls or screen ? Ample luggage room or average ? It's great to compare that stuff and also the get input from seasoned drivers or enthusiasts car reviews sometimes offer.
The only thing I know for certain is in that last issue I gave to a friend who is considering the same purchase, it's the nicest looking of the those tested although I had not yet read the test details or results. Guessing it's #1 or 2 though. Nice thing is you can see point values by category to easily identify your own hot-buttons to how they are graded.

We have the first year / 2nd gen CX-9 Touring, a 2016. I can vouch for Mazda upscale build and interior and we get lots of compliments by others. We are sub 30k miles thus far, nothing but impressed.

It took 1st again. Nothing in the segment seems to compare, especially in the turbo models, where it best fits compared to vehicles that cost $10-15k more for performance and amenities.

I really love my 2018, but I do wish I had waited for the 2019 for the turbo. Plenty of power when it's just me, but with 3 or 4 other people, it's a bit lacking.
Good MPG and handles very well. AWD seems to work really well.
It does have a smaller cargo area than the Rav4 and CR-V, which is fine for me and my wife, but you may want to consider that if you're going to be hauling a lot.

My ‘17 has been flawless in the 3 ½ years we've had it. It has a very smooth power train. Really no cons to speak of.

IMO, the original tires are a joke from treadwear and pricing standpoint (we have about 25k in ours and I am planning to replace them this year with something different of course). Handling and ride are good but I can hear/feel more suspension thumps than I would like.
Maybe I am old fashion and not just a Mazda thing, to be fair, but a powered (electric) parking brake?
I dislike the push button start (which appears to be a standard feature in every Mazda now) and the key fobs eat batteries. My wife already was almost stranded twice because the car wouldn't see the key fob (weak battery).
I also dislike the scratch prone shiny plastic trim inside (for example, around the gear shift selector).
Mechanically it has been reliable so far and the wife loves it (it is her daily driver) so that counts in its favor.
I'm looking somewhere (not a Mazda) for my next daily driver, as the push button start/key fob is a deal breaker for me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by GimmeTorq
IMO, the original tires are a joke from treadwear and pricing standpoint (we have about 25k in ours and I am planning to replace them this year with something different of course). Handling and ride are good but I can hear/feel more suspension thumps than I would like.
Maybe I am old fashion and not just a Mazda thing, to be fair, but a powered (electric) parking brake?
I dislike the push button start (which appears to be a standard feature in every Mazda now) and the key fobs eat batteries. My wife already was almost stranded twice because the car wouldn't see the key fob (weak battery).
I also dislike the scratch prone shiny plastic trim inside (for example, around the gear shift selector).
Mechanically it has been reliable so far and the wife loves it (it is her daily driver) so that counts in its favor.
I'm looking somewhere (not a Mazda) for my next daily driver, as the push button start/key fob is a deal breaker for me.

Good luck with that as that is the direction all automakers are headed.

As for fob batteries, keep your fobs in a Faraday pouch or container when not in use. That stops the constant communication between the fob and the car which depleted the battery and also gives thieves the opportunity to steal the code.

Originally Posted by PimTac

As for fob batteries, keep your fobs in a Faraday pouch or container when not in use. That stops the constant communication between the fob and the car which depleted the battery and also gives thieves the opportunity to steal the code.

Cool. Will look into it.

Originally Posted by PimTac

Cool. Will look into it.

It was one of the first things I did after reading how thieves can intercept the communications between the two and use that to fool the car. Ours is about fifteen feet away from the house. I bought a pouch and verified that it does work.

In the 3.5 years we've had it I have replaced the fob batteries once. That was about one year ago. Extending battery life is a nice secondary effect.

I haven't really heard anything bad about Mazda vehicles lately. However, I have heard quite a few complaints about Mazda dealerships. I haven't visited my local Mazda dealer in a long time, but you might want to make sure you like the local dealer before you commit.

As far as cons or it is just a funny thing 16' vs 17' models, Mazda somehow managed to cut onto cargo room inside as well as reduced mpgs on the '17 models vs the '16s

Also, the skyactive engine is run by two serpentine belts and the smaller one is very hard to reach (very hidden), if you want to replaced on your own; the old MZR engines got ran by one serpentine belt which is very easy to maintain

Originally Posted by glock19
I haven't really heard anything bad about Mazda vehicles lately. However, I have heard quite a few complaints about Mazda dealerships. I haven't visited my local Mazda dealer in a long time, but you might want to make sure you like the local dealer before you commit.

There are (2) dealerships in my area. One has been around since 1980 and the other one is newer. I have no idea how they are still in business. The botched up my OCV and valve cover gasket by rushing through a job. I go to the newer dealership now.

Back