Is there a Generic version of G05 available?

I've been searching but haven't been able to find anything definitive about there being a generic Auto-Parts store brand of G05 coolant. Found one thread about O'Reilly's yellow Universal coolant using 2-EHA. Just trying to see where $ can be saved, that's all. Thanks!

Also, is the Peak 10X coolant compatible with a vehicle that already has G05 in it?

Last edited:
I have Zerex G05 in my vehicle now and need to drain in order to change the radiator hoses. What can I use that is equivalent in quality, but cheaper in price than Zerex G05? Is Peak 10X a viable option and are there even lower cost alternatives?

welcome2.gif

Peak Global Lifetime is very close to G-05. I'm not sure whether the 10x will be replacing PGL or is in addition to it. Both lack 2-EHA
smile.gif

G05 for all intents and purposes is only sold on store shelves through the Valvoline or occasionally the Ford Motorcraft brand here in the states.

Peak 10x and Global Lifetime use a significantly different additive pack than G05 but can almost always be mixed without issue and pour a similar color.

Last edited:
I believe that G-O5 uses silicates....PGL does not. While it may be OK to mix them...I don't think I would.

Like Bottom Feeder said, it is a type.

That said, technically Zerex G05 is the "generic" for lack of better terms while Mopar orange and Motorcraft gold is the name brand. The prices certainly reflect that too.

Last edited:
I was gonna say, G05 is the "generic" for that coolant. We stock usually stock 2-3 cases worth at any given time, I can get a replenishment same day if I order before 1330 or overnight. And yes it has silicates, that was what ended up in all the 6.0 Powerstroke oil coolers when they clogged and took out the EGR coolers. Well that and casting sand, hence so many people adding coolant filters.

There is no generic auto parts store brand version of G05. Zerex G05 is the aftermarket version, Ford gold is Ford's old G05 that you can still buy at their dealerships, and there is Chrysler's G05 which is dyed a different colour but I believe it's been superseded by their purple OAT coolant. Mercedes OE coolant was a G05 formula for many years but it's been superseded by now as well and is no longer sold at dealerships.

I'm mainly just trying to save the $ and end up with a good product. Final charge seems to be more expensive at my local store, plus for a car that already has Zerex G05, mixing red-dyed Final Charge seems painful. Going with the Peak 10X to mix with my existing G05.

Originally Posted by Jake_J
Chrysler's G05 which is dyed a different colour but I believe it's been superseded by their purple OAT coolant.

No! These two coolants should not be mixed.

Just buy the Zerex G-05, the hard part is knowing what is in there to begin with so you can match it correctly.
G-05 is a good coolant, and cheaper than causing issues by mismatching with the wrong coolant.

I've been searching but haven't been able to find anything definitive about there being a generic Auto-Parts store brand of G05 coolant. Found one thread about O'Reilly's yellow Universal coolant using 2-EHA. Just trying to see where $ can be saved, that's all. Thanks!

Also, is the Peak 10X coolant compatible with a vehicle that already has G05 in it?
The "universal" coolants, such as Peak or store brand are typically OAT coolants. G05 coolant is HOAT, so I would not mix the two. I would stick with Zerex G05, Peak original equipment gold for American vehicles, or Ford Motorcraft Gold. You don't want to intermix IAT, OAT, or HOAT because a reaction may occur which can cause a mud like substance to form and ruin your cooling system.

Back