4-26-20

Yeah
57.gif

Remember the housing bust and before it, the dot com bust? Those busts will seem like childs play compared to what we have coming. Wait.....the bottom is going to fall out of the car market. I truly hope I'm wrong but wouldn't be surprised by a 30-=40% correction in car prices.

The 30-40% screwup in used car prices was all driven by the "cash for clunkers" fiasco of the 2009 bailout BS. Even though there never was a shortage of used cars, the return to normal for used car prices still has not happened. To me, it's flat out ludicrous for any domestic used vehicle that's not a 3/4+ ton truck to cost more than 10k after it's 5 years old. It's also insane that you can even buy a half-ton that will clear $70k.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
The 30-40% screwup in used car prices was all driven by the "cash for clunkers" fiasco of the 2009 bailout BS. Even though there never was a shortage of used cars, the return to normal for used car prices still has not happened. To me, it's flat out ludicrous for any domestic used vehicle that's not a 3/4+ ton truck to cost more than 10k after it's 5 years old. It's also insane that you can even buy a half-ton that will clear $70k.

Agreed, but people are paying it and those trucks are selling quite well, so they will keep charging that price.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
The 30-40% screwup in used car prices was all driven by the "cash for clunkers" fiasco of the 2009 bailout BS. Even though there never was a shortagek.

Not quite

Exporting junk and used cars under 7 years old started en mass back in 2009 when we least needed it.

Empty cargo vessels need something to send back and that is what they send, up to 25% of used/junk cars are removed from our market (depending on brand model) via export

This trend has decimated what would have normally been the low end priced newer used cars and the affordably priced low mile cars.

Don't underestimate the extreme consequences from this, before 2009 virtually ZERO cars were exported on this manner
this even makes finding good parts in the yard more difficult on newer cars.

Last edited:
427, 428, 429, and more than one make too …

Well, I'll never see larger again than my current 325's … LOL

Back