Police Scanner listeners

How many of you are out their system you listening to and what you listening on.

Uniden SDS 200.
P25 phase 1
My county and city will and can run encryption on primary makes it frustrating. EMS&Fire are what I mainly listen to.

I rarely use a conventional scanner anymore except for air traffic comms. I now use an Android app called Scanner Radio which allows access to de-encrypted audio feeds from Broadcastify, among others. The feeds are categorized by the listener's location and are easily managed by the app. Plus I can send the audio to several speakers in my home via Bluetooth.

Scanner Radio is available from the Google Play store in a free basic version, and a "Pro" version for $2.99.

Originally Posted by Hoot_r
I rarely use a conventional scanner anymore except for air traffic comms. I now use an Android app called Scanner Radio which allows access to de-encrypted audio feeds from Broadcastify, among others. The feeds are categorized by the listener's location and are easily managed by the app. Plus I can send the audio to several speakers in my home via Bluetooth.

Scanner Radio is available from the Google Play store in a free basic version, and a "Pro" version for $2.99.

Thanks for this Hoot_r.
I didn't know anything like this existed. I've been shopping aviation scanners, but this looks interesting, and a loT cheaper. I like cheaper. :)

Originally Posted by RoadDukie
Originally Posted by Hoot_r

Thanks for this Hoot_r.
I didn't know anything like this existed. I've been shopping aviation scanners, but this looks interesting, and a loT cheaper. I like cheaper. :)

RoadDukie,
Glad to help. I have this app on a tablet and a few old unused cell phones...I connect the phone to my house WiFi to feed the app, then connect the phone to my TV sound bar by Bluetooth for audio. Works out pretty well for me. The app also tracks Ham radio repeaters, ATC and airport comms, train comms and the like as well as the usual police/fire/EMS activity. Depending on where you are, these may be grouped onto one channel in Scanner Radio so you don't have to flip back and forth. You can save favorite channels, and search for all scanning activity within a set radius from your location. The app also shows how many listeners are on each channel, so you can see where the popular ones are. ENJOY!

RadioShack PRO-2026
GRECOM PSR-800
Uniden BCD436HP

Most departments in my area have migrated to P25 Phase II, specifically STARCOM21, over the past several years. Some talkgroups are encrypted but most are not. There's also one local Harris OpenSky system that no scanner can monitor, in fact it's so "secure" that sometimes not even their own users can access it (!)

Originally Posted by AP9
RadioShack PRO-2026
GRECOM PSR-800
Uniden BCD436HP

Most departments in my area have migrated to P25 Phase II, specifically STARCOM21, over the past several years. Some talkgroups are encrypted but most are not. There's also one local Harris OpenSky system that no scanner can monitor, in fact it's so "secure" that sometimes not even their own users can access it (!)
right! Milwaukee runs open sky and that's always the on going joke many don't understand the online is only as good as what the host is giving in the feed. Listening outside your area they can be beneficial but can't come close to a dedicated unit for local listening and the ability to listen to specific talk groups departments or channels at any given time.

I programmed in the local PD once, listened for about a week, gave up (this was 20 years ago). I wasn't expecting any car chases, but it wound up being near-constant chatter of the boring sort: Mary Doe, age 46, 3 priors for speeding... over and over again. I decided that I was only interested in fire/EMS after that.

Uniden BC9000XLT
Uniden BCD436HP
Uniden BC75XLT

My county just went digital with some services, but several surrounding counties are still running analog.
Local PD's on a Friday and Saturday nights are usually somewhat entertaining.

Back