Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

Anyone own a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited? I have a 2019 with a 3.6 L 4V engine and so far so good. The tranny worries me a bit because of the lifetime fluid and the 45 minute procedure to check it. I have a good extended warranty because I don't work on vehicles any more. Anyone with troubles?

Last edited by a moderator:
There have been a few issues with the auto stop start that pop up time to time in the various Facebook groups I'm a part of, otherwise nothing major.

I do know the 8.4" radio has its bugs though, some requiring a full replacement.

Originally Posted by rokwldr
Anyone own a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited? I have a 2019 with a 3.6 L 4V engine and so far so good. The tranny worries me a bit because of the lifetime fluid and the 45 minute procedure to check it. I have a good extended warranty because I don't work on vehicles any more. Anyone with troubles?

The ZF 8HP is just about the best automatic out there. My 2er and my wife's X1 both have the 8HP and I have absolutely no complaints. As for maintenance just do a pan drop and fill every 60k miles- as ZF recommends. Several shops sell the pan/filter assembly, new TTY bolts, and the correct ZF ATF as a complete kit.

Originally Posted by MCompact

The ZF 8HP is just about the best automatic out there. My 2er and my wife's X1 both have the 8HP and I have absolutely no complaints. As for maintenance just do a pan drop and fill every 60k miles- as ZF recommends. Several shops sell the pan/filter assembly, new TTY bolts, and the correct ZF ATF as a complete kit.

+1. The Pentastar is a good motor. Just keep up your maintenance on the Oil and Tranny fluids and you should be ok.

The ZF 8HP should be the least of your worries, that transmission is bulletproof. Make sure to keep your UConnect system up to date, it should treat you quite well, I'm on my 2nd Grand Cherokee of this body style, third on this platform. Absolutely love them
thumbsup2.gif

I own two ZF 8HPs and two Pentastars and they have about 200,000 miles of 'experience'. Both are what I would categorize as top-notch. Take care of them and you'll have a great experience.

Originally Posted by wwillson
I own two ZF 8HPs and two Pentastars and they have about 200,000 miles of 'experience'. Both are what I would categorize as top-notch. Take care of them and you'll have a great experience.

I'm just curious, what year/years? Thanks

OP the ZF 8 speed is about as good as it gets.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Originally Posted by wwillson

I'm just curious, what year/years? Thanks

OP the ZF 8 speed is about as good as it gets.

01.gif

Originally Posted by skyactiv
Don't let Nick1994 disappoint you if he comes in this thread regarding his Grandfathers JGC.

Well, I'll just post my previous review.

And add that after the filler neck was replaced, it has new evap CEL codes. And while out on some dirt trails the other week it got stuck in gear, dinging like crazy saying "Service Trans" and it wouldn't go into park, reverse, or neutral. Was almost stuck on the trail in the sand because it was stuck in a high gear so it didn't have any power and I was afraid to turn it off but after playing with it and turning it on and off several times I finally got it out of 4L and it's been ok since.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...185/re-2020-dodge-durango-gt#Post5328185

These are great vehicles, I had a 2015 with the same powertrain that I really enjoyed, I'd like to get another. I miss that Jeep. The 3.6/ZF 8 speed combo is probably the best in the business.

Our 2014 Durango has the 3.6/ZF combo. It just hit 60k miles and we have had zero issues with the engine/trans. The long LED taillight on the other hand......[censored], I am on my 4th. Keeps filling with water. I got the dealer to throw in the mopar backed unlimited warranty when we bought that one so a repair is $100 as long as the repair is under blue book of the car.

Originally Posted by electricmarquis
Our 2014 Durango has the 3.6/ZF combo. It just hit 60k miles and we have had zero issues with the engine/trans. The long LED taillight on the other hand......[censored], I am on my 4th. Keeps filling with water. I got the dealer to throw in the mopar backed unlimited warranty when we bought that one so a repair is $100 as long as the repair is under blue book of the car.

I believe the black foam "seal" on the back of that shrivels up allowing water to leak in. I've also seen them crack on the exterior. There have been reports of warranty denials because they do exclude "Glass, Plastic Lenses and Light Bulbs" however, but it sounds like you have a great service department.

Originally Posted by MCompact

Torqued to yield bolts on a transmission pan? Very interesting.

Great vehicle. Wife has a 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland 4x4. Basically an upper level over the Limited but same powertrain - excellent choice in vehicles.

Back