Cordless Tool Family Recommendation (Makita/Milwaukee/etc)

sky

I'm looking for some recommendations as I want to be on the lookout to invest in some cordless tools. The majority of my tools right now are either cheap HF wired ones such as reciprocating saw as well as a corded electric impact wrench, they work, but I can see the advantage of getting into an ecosystem. I'm not in a rush to buy so I'm just wondering what the recommendation here is and what you stock at home?

Thanks!

In my opinion, replacement battery cost and availability is the deciding factor. Yes, voltage is important too, but batteries will let you down faster than anything.

So I'm at 20V or more with my stuff.

Black and Decker example:
Black and Decker hedge trimmer. Battery dies in 2 years. Replacement cost $80.00! (Amazon, just for the battery!)
I go to Walmart.....Black and Decker Driver/Drill (same 20V battery remember) $49.95 including TWO batteries and a carry bag!

What would you do in the future to build out your ecosystem?

I hear Makita is fair with batteries.

ridgid has the best battery warranty and the tools are pretty good. Milwalkee has the best selection of tools. they seem to have a tool for everything

I recommend 20 volt DeWalt. A good tool for the money. I have the drill, chain saw, flashlight, hammer drill, reciprocating saw, hedge trimmer and circular saw. I have one charger and a couple batteries that I use. Battery prices are reasonable and easy to get.
Milwaukee batteries have seriously let me down in the past.

Originally Posted by WhyMe
ridgid has the best battery warranty and the tools are pretty good. Milwalkee has the best selection of tools. they seem to have a tool for everything

If I was to start over I might go the Rigid route, but I have mainly Dewalt 20v. Rigid has the best Warranty, but they don't have as many tools to choose from as compared to Dewalt or Milwaukee or Makita.

Originally Posted by walterjay
I recommend 20 volt DeWalt. A good tool for the money. I have the drill, chain saw, flashlight, hammer drill, reciprocating saw, hedge trimmer and circular saw. I have one charger and a couple batteries that I use. Battery prices are reasonable and easy to get.

I am in agreement with you. Started with a Dewalt 20v drill and impact driver with 3 batteries back in 2011. Those 2011 batteries are still going strong. Most of the Dewalt tools I've bought were from people online, so I was able to buy most stuff at a discounted price. Where I'm located Dewalt is more popular so there is a better selection of tools.

They also make Battery Adapters to use one brand's batteries on another brand tool. I have adapters for using a Dewalt 20v on a Ryobi and a Dewalt 20v Battery on a Milwaukee.

The following links are examples to Illustrate the battery adapters. You can get cheaper from China.

Dewalt to Ryobi Adapter

Dewalt to Milwaukee Adapter

Last edited:
Originally Posted by walterjay

+1. I am in the process of phasing out all my Craftsman C3 to the 20V Dewalt.
Best bang for the buck right now IMO.

For diy homeowner use ryobi does the job for me, I even purchased on Amazon off brand 4.0ah batteries they last a real long time and with lithium batteries they can sit on the shelf without worrying about run down. I love ryobi assortment of power tools. I have 1/2" drill, 1/4" impact, brad/nailer, reciprocating saw and a led lantern light.

Not that I dont believe the ryobi cant handle contractor abuse but for business use I would go makita or Milwaukee

I'm not one that adheres to the "all one tool family" approach, to get the same batteries. Ive found that the best deals are when batteries are sold in the kit.

I like dewalt drills. So I have DeWalt drills and impact driver. But I liked the makita subcompact 18v and their cordless vacuums (have 3), and leaf blower for car washing. When I was looking for a stronger impact than my IR a few years back, Milwaukee was by far the best, and really leading the pack with highest torque, so I went with that for the big impact. I had a 12v scope for probably a decade now from Milwaukee, so since I had one battery, I got a cordless ratchet too - why not?

So I have tried to get best of breed for each, at the point of time I was shopping. Dewalt and Makita have caught up with ultra high torque impact guns, so at this point it's less of a consideration then it was at one time for me, so if I was doing it again, I wouldn't necessarily get the 20v Milwaukee for the impact, unless their tools had what I really wanted for something else.

So look at the cross section of tools you want and deals you can get.

Originally Posted by WhyMe

I've used Ridgid for the last 15 years and haven't had any failures. I'm pretty hard on their reciprocating saws. Just be sure to carefully register the tools and the battery serial numbers if you buy a set.

Originally Posted by Oildudeny
For diy homeowner use ryobi does the job for me, I even purchased on Amazon off brand 4.0ah batteries they last a real long time and with lithium batteries they can sit on the shelf without worrying about run down. I love ryobi assortment of power tools. I have 1/2" drill, 1/4" impact, brad/nailer, reciprocating saw and a led lantern light.

Not that I dont believe the ryobi cant handle contractor abuse but for business use I would go makita or Milwaukee

I have a number of Ryobi 18V cordless tools. For regular DIY use they're just fine.

But if I was a full time carpenter I'd probably have gone with DeWalt (or maybe Makita).

My two are Kobalt 24v and Milwaukee M12. I like the cost of batteries for both and the tools haven't failed me yet.

Assuming you're a homeowner using these for jobs around the house I don't think you can exactly go wrong with any of the major brands, either the top shelf stuff like Makita or Milwaukee or the more homeowner targeted stuff like Ryobi. If you need the basic drill, driver, a saw or mutitool, etc then just about any of them will be fine. Just look at what they offer in your particular battery format and if one has 'em all, go for it. As some have noted the batteries are often very inexpensive when they come in a bundle, so JHZR2's approach of just getting whatever you like across systems might not come with a big cost penalty.

Take a look at what you'll really be doing with them and consider the 12v stuff as well. I have the 12v Makita drill, driver, and oscillating tool and they are all excellent. The smaller size and weight of these is really nice compared to the 18-20v options. You can always keep those big corded Harbor Freight things for backup.

jeff

Milwaukee, hands down. I work commercial/industrial construction, no one uses anything but Milwaukee. Dewalt, Makita, Ryobi, are NOT industrial grade tools. Buy once, cry once.

I have a Milwaukee 2767-20 1/2" M18 impact wrench. With 1400 ft lbs of breakaway torque, IMHO there is nothing on an automobile or light truck you can't undo. https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Fastening/Impact-Wrenches/2767-20 I've changed a harmonic balancer (off & on) in about 20 minutes with it; and had time for a cup of coffee.
In about another 30+ days, Milwaukee is coming out with a 3/8 or 1/2" impact ratchet (your choice of drive) that is M12, not M18, right angle impact wrench that has 220 ft lbs of breakaway torque and a profile head of only 2.2" This will be an industry best; and is designed to compete with air tools: https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Fastening/Impact-Wrenches/2564-20 I've pre-ordered one.
If you go directly to the Milwaukee tools website, I believe they also have the widest selection of battery powered tools. Milwaukee is revolutionizing commercial construction. You no longer see hundreds of feet of extension cords running all over job sites.

I really like my Ridgid tools. They have a lifetime warranty and feel really good in the hand. The only issue I have right now, is I wish they made a string trimmer. I ended up buying a Walmart hypertough string trimmer that gets the job done, but would definitely have bought a ridgid one if it was available.

Originally Posted by Ihatetochangeoil
Milwaukee, hands down. I work commercial/industrial construction, no one uses anything but Milwaukee. Dewalt, Makita, Ryobi, are NOT industrial grade tools. Buy once, cry once.

This is simply untrue. Dewalt and Makita are very competitive, contractor grade tools like Milwaukee. Ryobi is a great value but always lagging behind, their main strength being that they offer more tools than anyone and haven't changed their battery format in decades. That's great for occasional homeowner use but for pro use where productivity rate = money, Ryobi, and Ridgid, are not in the same league.

There are countless youtube videos out there if you care to get the perspective of people who do the shootouts and run them all through their paces. However it needs to be remembered that some brands, for example Dewalt, make lower priced homeowner grade (drills for example) as well as higher priced contractor grade. That may change in the future now that Stanley B&D is producing the Craftsman line to fill up the space where Dewalt's lower tiered tools were.

Rigid sent me a set of new lithium batteries and a charger when my 1/2" hammer drill nicad batteries died. The drill itself seems pretty tough too, its fallen off the roof, I run an 1/2" impact attachment for lug nuts, and many full pull battery runs flooding the ice rink on the pond with a high capacity drill pump. For hard home owner use like me who isn't likely to wear out a decent cordless tool, the free battery replacement in 6-7-8 years makes Rigid the choice for me.

I have a Milwaukee 2767-20 1/2" M18 impact wrench. With 1400 ft lbs of breakaway torque, IMHO there is nothing on an automobile or light truck you can't undo. https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Fastening/Impact-Wrenches/2767-20 I've changed a harmonic balancer (off & on) in about 20 minutes with it; and had time for a cup of coffee.
In about another 30+ days, Milwaukee is coming out with a 3/8 or 1/2" impact ratchet (your choice of drive) that is M12, not M18, right angle impact wrench that has 220 ft lbs of breakaway torque and a profile head of only 2.2" This will be an industry best; and is designed to compete with air tools: https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Fastening/Impact-Wrenches/2564-20 I've pre-ordered one.
If you go directly to the Milwaukee tools website, I believe they also have the widest selection of battery powered tools. Milwaukee is revolutionizing commercial construction. You no longer see hundreds of feet of extension cords running all over job sites.

Milwaukee likes to make outlandish claims, "Breakaway Torque" isn't a valid measurement when it comes to Impacts as they don't produce any twisting torque at all (Or very little), They rely on Hammering to break fasteners loose.

I recently bought some M12 Die Grinders, And they work great for what I need them to do!.....But, Milwaukee claims 20% more power than a air powered die grinder. BS! My 10 year old Astro Pneumatic die grinder will walk all over the M12. Their test stands are rigged in their favor.....Use a real compressor & high flow ends. Not a pancake compressor & 1/4" airbrake line!!

myself I have had very good luck with the Hercules line from harbor freight….i'm semi retired from the home remodeling game and didn't want to get into any high end tools...bought the Hercules and have to say I am impressed replacement batteries are around 59 bucks if I remember right I have used about all the battery operated tools out there ,all do a good job and hold up well but my beef always was the cost of replacement batteries

Originally Posted by clinebarger

Milwaukee likes to make outlandish claims, "Breakaway Torque" isn't a valid measurement when it comes to Impacts as they don't produce any twisting torque at all (Or very little), They rely on Hammering to break fasteners loose.

I recently bought some M12 Die Grinders, And they work great for what I need them to do!.....But, Milwaukee claims 20% more power than a air powered die grinder. BS! My 10 year old Astro Pneumatic die grinder will walk all over the M12. Their test stands are rigged in their favor.....Use a real compressor & high flow ends. Not a pancake compressor & 1/4" airbrake line!!

Spot on!

If you have hours of time to spare, AvE on YouTube has a lot of tool teardown videos and testing of the batteries of the top 3 brands, Makita, Milwaukee, and DeWalt. Don't believe the claims on torque, there are no standards for testing, so you can't compare them against each other.

For the occasional home use I'd go with whatever is the most convenient, best prices, most tools, etc. Also don't be afraid to use store brand if you need limited tools, I've had a Menards store brand Masterforce drill and impact for almost 5 years and performs almost as good as my new Makita. I bought a Makita as they were the only manufacturer of a cordless tools I needed.

Back