Travel Trailer Wheel Bearings

Just purchased a 2015 16ft Jayco travel trailer with a Dexter axle.

The trailer has low mileage, but it is 5 years old.

Do the wheel bearings need repacking, or just inspecting?

Thanks.

If you take the time to take it apart to inspect, why wouldn't you just buy new grease seals and repack?

I would inspect, repack, replace as needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since you have not owned it since new, i'd take apart inspect and regrease. What axle do you have? There is the Never lube, and the ez-lube axles. The Ez-lube have a grease fitting that greases the inner and outer race bearings. I have the ez lube, i've had it since new and i grease it regularly. I don't feel i need to take it down yearly.

My previous 05 jayco had EZ-lube axles, so i suspect thats what you have. Check your manual or pull the axle cap off like in the video below and see.

I jack up the trailer, spin the wheel as i slowly inject the grease. You want to grease SLOWLY so that you don't push grease out of the rear seal and contaminate the brake pads. Don't use electric or air powered grease guns.

Last edited:
What is the model# of the Dexter axle? It makes a big difference how the bearings are serviced.

That's just like the Tie Down Engineering spindles on my boat. I do a few shots every trip and figure that's random enough to not have to jack the wheel up …

"You want to grease SLOWLY so that you don't push grease out of the rear seal and contaminate the brake pads."

Where does the old grease go?

Originally Posted by spasm3
Since you have not owned it since new, i'd take apart inspect and regrease. What axle do you have? There is the Never lube, and the ez-lube axles. The Ez-lube have a grease fitting that greases the inner and outer race bearings. I have the ez lube, i've had it since new and i grease it regularly. I don't feel i need to take it down yearly.

My previous 05 jayco had EZ-lube axles, so i suspect thats what you have. Check your manual or pull the axle cap off like in the video below and see.

I jack up the trailer, spin the wheel as i slowly inject the grease. You want to grease SLOWLY so that you don't push grease out of the rear seal and contaminate the brake pads. Don't use electric or air powered grease guns.

I wouldn't use that. You want to get the old grease out, replacing it with new grease and the only way to do it with an E-Z lube is to destroy the seal. Besides, I would want to inspect the bearings as well.

Last edited:
How do I determine what axle I have?

The Jayco manual has no maintenance information at all. Just links to manufacturer web sites.

Originally Posted by oldhp
"You want to grease SLOWLY so that you don't push grease out of the rear seal and contaminate the brake pads."

It comes out the font of the hub.

Last edited:
To the folks asking how it works and they would not use it because the old grease........Watch the video - the old grease comes back out towards you.....very nice system.

Originally Posted by knerml

You'll have to look at it. RVs are not always made from a consistent set of parts, even during the same production run.
From the video, if you have EZ-Lube axles the outer rubber cap will say "EZ Lube."

The Jayco manual has no maintenance information at all. Just links to manufacturer web sites.

There should be a placard sticker on the axle from the Dexter factory

Originally Posted by wwillson

There should be a placard sticker on the axle from the Dexter factory

Yes, you might have to crawl under there to take a pic of the placard.

Not thinking of a Bearing Buddy when you say don't use that ?
First axle I had with a end zerk was 2006 … there are thousands in service.
Mine have been Tie Down Engineering … Dexter bought the axle and brake divisions

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 4WD
Not thinking of a Bearing Buddy when you say don't use that ?
First axle I had with a end zerk was 2006 … there are thousands in service.
Mine have been Tie Down Engineering … Dexter bought the axle and brake divisions

Yes bearing buddies are different, just there to help keep out water, the zerk on those only lubes the outer race , not the inner race.

Obligatory Shipping Wars TV show reference. Trailer bearings seems to be something that goes bad on these things often enough. I am not sure if I have seen bearings on a vehicle go bad on that show, but on trailers yes.

Originally Posted by spasm3
Originally Posted by oldhp

It comes out the font of the hub.

Now that is neat!!!!! I hope the guy that figured this out gets a bonus!!!

Back