Need heavy-duty drinking water hose and withstand being driven over

I get water at this spring and park the car across from it on the other side of a country road. Rarely do cars drive by but it's possible the hose can be driven on by a couple of vehicles and it needs to withstand that.

The water canisters are so heavy that they are not feasible to move. So they stay in the car, (I have about 10x20L and 2x50L, the latter weight 110 lbs a piece) and I just run the hose to them.

The hose needs to be:

1) Safe for drinking water
2) heavy duty to withstand vehicle impact
3) Ideally discreet to match the color of the pavement

Are you allowed to take that water? Asking before a bunch of us end up as co-conspirators to a crime.

I've used PEP or "coil pipe" for this. Pros:
* No taste or odor
* Very durable
* Inexpensive
* Black in color

The con is that it is very stiff, really hateful to deal with especially when cold. I'd recommend bringing a helper to wrangle the pipe.

Originally Posted by pacem
I get water at this spring and park the car across from it on the other side of a country road. Rarely do cars drive by but it's possible the hose can be driven on by a couple of vehicles and it needs to withstand that.

The water canisters are so heavy that they are not feasible to move. So they stay in the car, (I have about 10x20L and 2x50L, the latter weight 110 lbs a piece) and I just run the hose to them.

The hose needs to be:

I'm forced to ask

When you say "withstand" you mean as in repeated collapsing or armored to be crush proof up to what vehicle weight?

Why is #3 a factor?

Originally Posted by Reddy45
Are you allowed to take that water? Asking before a bunch of us end up as co-conspirators to a crime.

It's a public spring, nobody owns it. There is always a line there.

Originally Posted by hatt
What's wrong with a regular garden hose?

it will leave the taste of plastic in water. You can't use regular garden hose for drinking water.

Originally Posted by ABN_CBT_ENGR
Originally Posted by pacem

The hose needs to be:

I'm forced to ask

When you say "withstand" you mean as in repeated collapsing or armored to be crush proof up to what vehicle weight?

Why is #3 a factor?

I think what's going to happen is once I lay my hose from the car to the spring on the other side of the rural road, cars may stop and wait until I fill up my cans and leave.
I don't want them to wait, rather just drive over it.

I don't want it to be a bright color for that reason, let it blend it. I don't care if they drive over it.

they have regular cars, SUVs and whatever other vehicles drive on that road. The traffic is very light and non-existent after certain hours but it may get hit with a F250.

I think it would make a lot more sense if I posted pictures.

Last edited:
Here is a pic.
And in the second pic, you can see where the cars park 30ft away.
Instead of dragging the cans from the car to the spring area, makes more sense to leave them in the car and run a hose from the spring to the vehicle. The flow is strong and they get filled up in no time.

I could manage several cans but now I got more and with the 50L cans I got, they are impossible to move when full.

It's in a public forest and there is usually a line unless it's in the evening.

spring1.jpg

spring2.jpg

Last edited:
Wouldn't the water have to flow uphill? It looks like the cars are higher than the outlet of the spring.

I see, I thought this was a private land thing

Then I STRONGLY suggest you forget that idea forever and NEVER attempt it.

If you drag an obstruction over a public road and there is an incident of any kind you could find yourself on the business end of criminal charges and/or civil liability.

It aint worth it

Well, I see your point. I think I will just have someone help me with the hose and remove it when a vehicle comes close. So they don't drive over it.

based on the posted picture, can you park on the spring side or there is a water drain/not enough space?

Also, you can take this as an opportunity to more fitness using the manual pump + carying the water bottles/containers.

Source: the longest i carried 1 20L + 1 15L was 7 km. I was 14 of age.

Now regarding, water hose, if you use it, what is the "use the spring" etiquette?

Just curious, you take this water home and use it for drinking/cooking? Do you have running water at your house? Have you ever had this spring water tested?

Back