Key fob screw stripped

Ok, so here is a picture of my recently acquired Honda key fob and you can see that the phillips head screw that hold the thing together is stripped.
I've tried loosening it with 2 or 3 different small screw drivers but so far no luck.
Any ideas on how to get this apart short of drilling the head out?

Thanks!!!
cheers3.gif

20200426_083859.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by spasm3
Small left hand drill bit?

I agreed with this advice.
Those threads typically have a spot of blue locktite on them as well to prevent vibrations from loosening

I had exactly the same problem. My only small screw driver kept slipping out of that equally tiny screw head. And that screw is in there really tight.

Here's what I did:

Put the screw driver and the key fob (with an appropriate piece of wood to prevent marring the fob) in a vice. Tighten gently so as to force them together. Have someone hold the two in line while you turn the screw driver with vice grips or similar. It sounds like overkill but it works.

PS I did the screws on both my key fobs while I was at it.

I don't understand. It's in plastic, impossible to need much torque, so just take some old worthless screwdriver and file down the point to fill in the shape of the stripped head.

Originally Posted by Dave9
I don't understand. It's in plastic, impossible to need much torque, so just take some old worthless screwdriver and file down the point to fill in the shape of the stripped head.

The screw may extend into the metal part of the key. And they may have used some sort of loctite or similar agent on it as well.

I don't know that the screw is so much tight as you can't get hold of it because of that small Phillips head. Anyway it's a real bear to get out.

Put a piece of rubber band or paper between the screw and screwdriver tip give it some pressure. Should fill in the stripped area.

Last edited:
Success.... Sort of....
I tried the paper and the rubber band trick.
No luck.
I ended up drilling out the head of the screw so I am able to get the fob apart but I didn't get the rest of the screw out of the body of the fob.

Time for Plan C, whatever that is.

Some places sell the plastic "bodies" and you transfer the "guts" over from the original key. I know people come in wanting them for Fords all the time insisting we sell them, we don't but the aftermarket does. I will transfer the guts over for people, just charge them for a key battery since you might as well have a new one in there.

I had the exact same problem with the an Honda Accord key that looks like the OP's key. You can buy the blank key with the plastic clamshell that holds the keyless entry circuit. I ended up buying the blank key body from Amazon, and going to the Honda dealer to get the key cut from the VIN number. Those style of Honda keys you can transfer the keyless entry circuit and the immobilizer RF ID chip and you don't have to do any programing.

Here's a couple examples of the keys (there's 2 and 3 button versions, so get the one that matches your key):

https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Repla...blank+key&qid=1588027832&sr=8-19

https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Repla...blank+key&qid=1588027832&sr=8-19

My replacement key has worked well, the dealer had no problem cutting the aftermarket key. They don't look 100% identical to the original key as they lack the H or it looks different, and the metal of the key on mine is a slight gold colour compared to original's more silver colour.

I've had this twice. My personal key, I removed the screw with a reverse drill bit and never replaced it. My grandmothers key I also removed with a reverse drill bit and replaced. New screw came with lock tite already applied so I took the time to wire brush it off.

As someone else noted you can buy replacement fobs on ebay that you just transfer the guts of these to, don't need to cut a new key or reprogram or anything. The replacement is a superior design using 4 screws at the corners instead of the one in the center. Eventually the key starts to break apart due to the twisting when starting the car, the new design is sturdier in that regard.

jeff

Back