Floor jacks for 3/4 ton trucks

Looking for a new floor jack.I took off the snow tires and put on the summers on my 3/4 ton Burb. I found that at the factory recommended jacking point I need 10 inches of lift. My present jack is a 3 ton version and at 10 inches it is maxed and pretty high pressure. What floor jack would your recommend? Here are some pics. Embarrassingly dirty. Thanks.

7B73A6B7-DA8D-4E47-B1D5-D6763FA18E52.jpeg

A6EE6896-6564-4376-8612-BD9B5F2E58F1.jpeg

I don't know if you have access to Harbor Freight or can order online and have it shipped to B.C. at a reasonable cost, but my H.F. Daytona floor jack has been excellent in the past 3 years that I have owned it.

H.F. Daytona 3 Ton Jack

This Northern Tools floor jack is similar:

Northern Tools Yellow Jacket

Either can be had in the U.S. for less than $200 with coupons or when on sale.

Last edited:
Reactions: JC1
Spend the money and take a serious look into the Daytona long reach low profile floor jack from harbor Freight.

3-1/4 in. to 24-1/4 in is incredible.

The jack the OP is using comes from yesteryear when people hated spending money on jacks-they were expensive and bought tiny ones and attempted to lift a big vehicle with it.
The old small ones claimed a higher lift rating. Today's jacks are realistic in the lift rating after people died and lawyers changed things.

The jack in the link will get under a Corvette and raise a truck, too with it's long arm.

https://www.harborfreight.com/autom...l-rapid-pump-floor-jack-black-64781.html

Have you considered just adding more layers to your platform? Nailing more layers of 2x4s or plywood to make a sturdy base. Inexpensive solution.

Originally Posted by Reddy45
Unijack. 21 inches of lift at max extension.

[Linked Image from hw.menardc.com]

I have the Uni-jack and thought it was a great idea. I bought 4 of them on ebay for around $50 each. My Montero sits low enough that I cannot set it to max height without lifting it higher first. Basically double jacking to remove the wheels. Don't think it will be high enough to lift a 3/4 ton suburban. I feel the lift height is overrated but did not measure it.

I've got one similar to this Craftsman 3-ton that's a heavy beast, but works fine. This one advertises 19".

I remember when harbor freight had an aluminum low profile racing jack for under $100, wonder what happened to it.

Originally Posted by umungus1122
Have you considered just adding more layers to your platform? Nailing more layers of 2x4s or plywood to make a sturdy base. Inexpensive solution.

Or jack it up by the axle. Perfectly safe option.

I have a 1960's-70's HD floor jack, similar to a Strongway 5 ton sold by Northern Equip. It jack's up about 2 feet! It is heavy though, I'd guess over 200 lbs.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
The jack the OP is using comes from yesteryear when people hated spending money on jacks-they were expensive and bought tiny ones and attempted to lift a big vehicle with it.
The old small ones claimed a higher lift rating. Today's jacks are realistic in the lift rating after people died and lawyers changed things.

You have that backwards. It used to be that jacks were far more conservatively rated. For example I have a 2-1/4 ton jack, that was reintroduced as a 3 ton. It is far sturdier than any 2.5 ton sold today. Now, instead of thicker plate steel, they put another bend in the metal to make it cheaper, at least at the ~$200 and lower price points.

I need 10 inches of lift

That is insufficient. We'd need to know the total lift height. This matters quite a lot when you are near the make/break lift range of many budget priced floor jacks, yet you didn't mention the budget. It would also be good to know if you want/need to carry it, what you consider the max tolerable weight since many are pushing 100lbs or more. Safely attaining a higher lift means a longer frame and more weight, unless you pay more for aluminum.

Then there is how urgent the need. If you want to buy one at Harbor Freight for example, you may end up waiting over a month, maybe longer as there are those out there that still haven't gotten large orders shipped from HF so you'd be in a long line of customers waiting already. In other words I'd call local stores to see what they have in stock, or buy elsewhere if you need it before the middle of summer.

Last edited:
never trusted those little jacks on a car less a truck. Head over to HF or Costco and get a bigger one. on a truck like that i usually jack at the pumpkin and floor jack it

^ Many people do jack the pumpkin, yet most automakers specifically state not to do that. I see no reason to risk it, when it only takes a fraction of a minute to place a jack stand and move the jack if necessary. Anyone here reading this, has that fraction of a minute to spare.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Dave9
^ Many people do jack the pumpkin, yet most automakers specifically state not to do that. I see no reason to risk it, when it only takes a fraction of a minute to place a jack stand and move the jack if necessary. Anyone here reading this, has that fraction of a minute to spare.
wink.gif

Despite being very experienced, I still don't jack under the pumpkin, unless it's a level surface and I'm adding stands on each end of the housing to complete the work I'm doing.
Nothing wrong with jacking under the spring plate (u-bolt) or shock mount on one side though. Especially if he's doing one tire at a time. The jack won't have to go up as high.

Originally Posted by Nukeman7
I don't know if you have access to Harbor Freight or can order online and have it shipped to B.C. at a reasonable cost, but my H.F. Daytona floor jack has been excellent in the past 3 years that I have owned it.

H.F. Daytona 3 Ton Jack

This Northern Tools floor jack is similar:

Northern Tools Yellow Jacket

Either can be had in the U.S. for less than $200 with coupons or when on sale.

Thanks, yes I can get Harbour Freight stuff delivered free to Eureka, Montana where I would pick it up (once the border re-opens). I believe they will ship to Canada but it is not free and that kills the deal. Cheap gas and those tasty corn nuts make the trip worth it.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by spk2000
Originally Posted by Reddy45
Unijack. 21 inches of lift at max extension.

[Linked Image from hw.menardc.com]

I have the Uni-jack and thought it was a great idea. I bought 4 of them on ebay for around $50 each. My Montero sits low enough that I cannot set it to max height without lifting it higher first. Basically double jacking to remove the wheels. Don't think it will be high enough to lift a 3/4 ton suburban. I feel the lift height is overrated but did not measure it.

So you did not measure the lift height but you feel the lift height won't be enough. Riiight.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
Spend the money and take a serious look into the Daytona long reach low profile floor jack from harbor Freight.

3-1/4 in. to 24-1/4 in is incredible.

The jack in the link will get under a Corvette and raise a truck, too with it's long arm.

https://www.harborfreight.com/autom...l-rapid-pump-floor-jack-black-64781.html

yeah those little things were the rage in the late 80 to 2000. lot of people bought them and put them in their trunk . Whenever i see a person use one of those thing to work on their car i just cringe.

Last edited:
HF long reach. Besides the reach and height (24") the pedal pump sets it apart from the others. All the HF 3 tons do at least 18 inches so you don't have do spend more than $89/$99 for the Pittsburgh 3 ton/3 ton low profile and trust me spending more because you don't want HF is NOT money well spent. I have ever long reach and the Pittsburgh 3 ton low profile.

I jack up 3/4 Ton service trucks with a 3 ton Aluminum Pittsburgh jack all the time. Your making it hard on yourself lifting at the frame, Lift it at the U-Bolts or the Shock Bracket.

Reactions: JC1
Originally Posted by stanlee
All the HF 3 tons do at least 18 inches so you don't have do spend more than $89/$99 for the Pittsburgh 3 ton/3 ton low profile and trust me spending more because you don't want HF is NOT money well spent. I have ever long reach and the Pittsburgh 3 ton low profile.

Maybe, or maybe not. This Hein-Werner on sale for $200 is a better jack, just doesn't lift as high at 20.5":

https://www.napaonline.com/p/NLE7916420

Will it last twice as long? In years or uses? Probably, then it's also rebuildable. Can you get a HF jack or are they sold out? There are many variables , but that is the best quality jack you can get for $200 if you have a local Napa with stock. Napa has had this on sale before but their list $456 price is about what this grade of Hein-Werner sells for elsewhere. It has been around a long time, is a proven design and also has seal kits available for it.

There's no arguing that getting a 3 ton from HF for $100 is a great value, as is their high lift for $200, but if you add on the features then there's more to break and no rebuild kits.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Dave9
Originally Posted by stanlee
All the HF 3 tons do at least 18 inches so you don't have do spend more than $89/$99 for the Pittsburgh 3 ton/3 ton low profile and trust me spending more because you don't want HF is NOT money well spent. I have ever long reach and the Pittsburgh 3 ton low profile.

Maybe, or maybe not. This Hein-Werner on sale for $200 is a better jack, just doesn't lift as high at 20.5":

https://www.napaonline.com/p/NLE7916420

Will it last twice as long? In years or uses? Probably, then it's also rebuildable. Can you get a HF jack or are they sold out? There are many variables , but that is the best quality jack you can get for $200 if you have a local Napa with stock. Napa has had this on sale before but their list $456 price is about what this grade of Hein-Werner sells for elsewhere. It has been around a long time, is a proven design and also has seal kits available for it.

There's no arguing that getting a 3 ton from HF for $100 is a great value, as is their high lift for $200, but if you add on the features then there's more to break and no rebuild kits.

Back