Mobil 1 Filter So different

Originally Posted by VQ35DE
Not going by the photo. I have had the filters in my hand. Even used them but , no more. When you look at one and THINK about it, the ends not being totally covered with something makes no sense.
You're failing to comprehend the issue. Unless you really have a defective specimen, there should be glue between the pleats blocking oil from bypassing, as well as the obvious covering on the inner part of the ends. See if you can slip a thin knife blade between pleats the way you believe oil bypasses.

As ZO6 already said, we can't see from the photo whether that blocking glue is present. It did appear to be missing from the other-brand filters of similar design I saw in Advance Auto. I didn't have a knife handy, though.

I have yet to see a photo of an endcapless filter with torn media.

The sealing would have to be as shown in order to prevent any dirty oil leakage. The blue would be glue between the pleats, and the red would be the seal between the partial end cap and the pleat ends. There is a lot of room for sealing imperfection though if manufacturing isn't perfect. I'd like to see some kind of potting material between the partial end cap and the pleat ends.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by CR94
Not going by the photo. I have had the filters in my hand. Even used them but , no more. When you look at one and THINK about it, the ends not being totally covered with something makes no sense.
You're failing to comprehend the issue. Unless you really have a defective specimen, there should be glue between the pleats blocking oil from bypassing, as well as the obvious covering on the inner part of the ends. See if you can slip a thin knife blade between pleats the way you believe oil bypasses.

As ZO6 already said, we can't see from the photo whether that blocking glue is present. It did appear to be missing from the other-brand filters of similar design I saw in Advance Auto. I didn't have a knife handy, though.

I have yet to see a photo of an endcapless filter with torn media.

You and I are not even talking about the SAME thing. Look at the Blue lines in the photo above. Oil will enter the unsealed gaps of the pleats at the blue lines and circulate unfiltered. This is not that hard to comprehend. Look at it this way. The total surface area of the Blue Lines are the same a Hole in the media with that same surface area as far as unfiltered oil is concerned.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
The sealing would have to be as shown in order to prevent any dirty oil leakage. The blue would be glue between the pleats, and the red would be the seal between the partial end cap and the pleat ends. There is a lot of room for sealing imperfection though if manufacturing isn't perfect. I'd like to see some kind of potting material between the partial end cap and the pleat ends.

[Linked Image]

THANK YOU for the blue and red lines. That is my exact point !
Thanks again because I was about to give up.

The total surface area of the Blue Lines is the same as a Hole in the media with that same surface area, as far as unfiltered oil is concerned.
Again, thanks for the picture.

Last edited:
There never has been shown a Toyota oil filter with any pleat opening. Using a knife is not very good, what if the gap is smaller. Shining a light some way may be better. Toyota filters have been defect free. On all the ones I used to open the pleat ends are together very well, not like the one shown here. I doubt if the one here also has any issues whatsoever. People making these things aren't so dumb as to not know an open gap is not good.

I have used many OEM Toyota (04152-YZZA5) and Wix (57173) filters and they are both constructed exactly the same as the Mobil 1 ( M1C-251A) in the photo. It is not a matter of dumb, but just a cheaper way to construct a filter vs a sealed metal cap on each end. The TRD filter I have switched to looks just like the bottom photo in the very first post of this thread.

Last edited:
Looking at a new Toyota 04152-YZZA6, I can see adhesive in the gaps that are marked in blue above. It has a shiny appearance in a flashlight beam. The pleats on the other end are squeezed together so tightly that gaps are barely visible, much less any adhesive. I'm not about to probe them with a knife to make sure that end also has glue. By the way, the media has some synthetic sparkle under the flashlight.

I have used some other filters with whole endcaps made from the amber adhesive--a Beck-Arnley, Hastings, and an older Fram.

You and I are not even talking about the SAME thing. Look at the Blue lines in the photo above. Oil will enter the unsealed gaps of the pleats at the blue lines and circulate unfiltered. This is not that hard to comprehend. Look at it this way. The total surface area of the Blue Lines are the same a Hole in the media with that same surface area as far as unfiltered oil is concerned.

[Linked Image]

The Toyota oil filters I've cut open and inspected did have glue where the blue lines are. I'd be more concerned about how well the seal is where the red lines are.

Since there has to be a 100% glue job in the end of every pleat, that leave room for manufacturing errors IMO. If there are 60 pleats, then there needs to be 120 perfect glue jobs to ensure no dirty oil leaking by the media.

If anyone finds glue missing where the blue lines are, then it wasn't manufactured correctly.

The total surface area of the Blue Lines is the same as a Hole in the media with that same surface area, as far as unfiltered oil is concerned. ...
...which is not a problem, as long as the gaps ZO6 decorated with "Blue Lines" are completely plugged with glue, as they should be. As previously noted, on some other brands they may not be.

Originally Posted by CR94
The total surface area of the Blue Lines is the same as a Hole in the media with that same surface area, as far as unfiltered oil is concerned. ...
...which is not a problem, as long as the gaps ZO6 decorated with "Blue Lines" are completely plugged with glue, as they should be. As previously noted, on some other brands they may not be.

The OEM Toyota and Wix filters I listed did not have the glue there when I took them apart.

If you want a Champ XL cartridge filter for Toyota I believe the $3 Super tech from Walmart is that filter. ST 9972 if that's your size. The one with the black plastic end caps. These capless filters like shown here have never been shown with missing glue sealing the pleats. There is no problem unless it's invented. They don't pass oil don't do anything but what they are supposed to do.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
If you want a Champ XL cartridge filter for Toyota I believe the $3 Super tech from Walmart is that filter. ST 9972 if that's your size. The one with the black plastic end caps. These capless filters like shown here have never been shown with missing glue sealing the pleats. There is no problem unless it's invented. They don't pass oil don't do anything but what
ey are supposed to do.

The filter posted here with glue on ends works fine. Use thousands of those OEM toyota cartridges without ANY ISSUE.

These capless filters like shown here have never been shown with missing glue sealing the pleats. There is no problem unless it's invented. They don't pass oil don't do anything but what they are supposed to do.

Doesn't mean some could be made with missing pleat glue or a bad pleat glue job.

For contrast, check out an endcapless Purolator L16311. (Older ones of the same designation had plastic end caps.)

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
These capless filters like shown here have never been shown with missing glue sealing the pleats. There is no problem unless it's invented. They don't pass oil don't do anything but what they are supposed to do.

Doesn't mean some could be made with missing pleat glue or a bad pleat glue job.

An Ultra could be made with no media at all on one area, or a loose cartridge inside the can. Wait, those have actually happened. OK an EG could have a pleat exposed in the center tube with no glue on it. Wait.
Let's see, an Ultra could be made without glue on the end cap, it could happen. I think that's a wait too seems it was.

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
If you want a Champ XL cartridge filter for Toyota I believe the $3 Super tech from Walmart is that filter. ST 9972 if that's your size. The one with the black plastic end caps. These capless filters like shown here have never been shown with missing glue sealing the pleats. There is no problem unless it's invented. They don't pass oil don't do anything but what
ey are supposed to do.

The filter posted here with glue on ends works fine. Use thousands of those OEM toyota cartridges without ANY ISSUE.

Isn't that the same as I said? So we agreed on something.

Looking at my Mazda filter before I installed it last week, it had that same type of construction. I got the impression that the end of the media was dipped in some kind of sealer prior to assembly. It would have to be verified by cutting one open though. It looked somewhat clear like a resin or a wax

Is that type of construction possible?

lol.gif
...You have no problem saying every other oil filter can have manufacturing problems, yet you believe every Toyota filter ever made was 100% perfectly made ... sure. Their efficiency is low (like it has a dirty oil leakage past the media), so even if they were all perfectly made it's still not worth using anyway.

Here is Champ made ST9972 and a Denso FTF. The Denso fits tighter on the center tube because the plastic end caps go in further on the ST, leaving a gap. You never have to worry about the pleat ends not filled they take care of it very well. Probably a scanner watches for bead breaks as the very fine glue bead is striped on. As to the no glue could happen anyway just because, not even worth a response.
The Denso was about $4.50 on Amaz and the ST $3. I think this Champ filter is their premium XL line and is quite a bargain. Their regular filter has no plastic caps like this one does. Denso still gets their box picture wrong.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Back