Montana Bullet Works 44 Magnum

Hi all,
Ordered up 200 .44 Mag 255gr SWK-K 15 br hardness from MBW. I have a S&W Stealth Hunter 7.5" I have shot jacketed Nosler and XTP's only. I have some virgin Privi brass, Fed magnum primers, CCI large primers, and powder. H110, 296, 2400, IMR 4227, and Unique. I figure I will social distance in reloading room and make up some loads. I usually refer to my Lyman manuals with 44 magnum. Jacketed bullets have never disappointed me in this revolver, however I am bored and want to try something else. Anyone try MBW?

Well I sure hope they are gas checked if you are shooting them and any real kind of velocity. I find lead makes the best target loads and I shoot 200 Gr. SWC I cast myself. They are Br hardness 15. I use 5.0 Gr. of Titegroup. Hotter loads you may also want to look at Lil'Gun made by Hodgdon.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Well I sure hope they are gas checked if you are shooting them and any real kind of velocity. I find lead makes the best target loads and I shoot 200 Gr. SWC I cast myself. They are Br hardness 15. I use 5.0 Gr. of Titegroup. Hotter loads you may also want to look at Lil'Gun made by Hodgdon.

They are not Gas checked Johnny. Suggested velocity? I have a chrono.

Well personally I keep all my none gas checked bullets well under 1000. Then I've had zero issues with leading. Casting season is about to begin. I'll make another 2000 38's and Probably 1600 45's. I will size and Lube them next winter when the weather is miserable.

Last edited:
I have no observable leading using the proper diameter Keith style 250-260gr plain base cast bullets in my 44's up to around 1350 fps.
Keith's famous 44 mag load was his 250-260gr SWC over 22.5grs of 2400 for around 1400 fps with no leading.

My thoughts on shooting lead in 44 Mag(and other magnums) in general, without any experience with these particular bullets:

1. Most leading comes from bullets that are too hard. Hard bullets don't obturate properly to the bore, and you can end up with combustion gases leaking around the base and effectively soldering lead to the barrel. This type of leading is very difficult to remove, while "streaking" from running a soft bullet at high velocity usually brushes out easily.

As an example to this point-22LRs are dead soft pure swaged lead, and usually run at 1000-1200fps depending on barrel weight. When was the last time you had a badly leaded 22?

I shoot a lot of Missouri "Cowboy" bullets, which are around BHN 12. I've run these in various calibers at 700-1200fps and they don't lead.

2. Somewhat contrary to the above point, most modern S&Ws have an "EDM" barrel, which is almost glass smooth. My 629 "Mountain Gun" has this type of barrel. These are so smooth that there can be issues with bullet lube wetting the barrel properly, and they can lead like crazy even with everything done right. These barrels can usually be recognized because, aside from looking basically perfect, the rifling doesn't have the sharp edges typically seen in conventionally rifled guns.

3. If all else fails, tumble lubing in Lee Liquid Alox will usually keep most anything from leading and is easy to do.

Originally Posted by TurboLuver
I have no observable leading using the proper diameter Keith style 250-260gr plain base cast bullets in my 44's up to around 1350 fps.
Keith's famous 44 mag load was his 250-260gr SWC over 22.5grs of 2400 for around 1400 fps with no leading.

This

Originally Posted by Slick17601
Originally Posted by TurboLuver

This

Elmer didn't like/use gas checks either.

There again, size right and don't go overboard with hardness and you won't have leading issues.

Back