Fatal explosion when replacing fuel pump

Not a good way to go.
eek.gif

Thanks for sharing. A good reminder,
Notice How often you see someone pumping gas these day with the vehicle running, especially...99.99% of the time it isn't an issue, unless there is a fuel spill.

Yikes. Not good practice to sit amidst a bunch of full gas cans, but it's a little bit surprising that a little transfer pump would be sparking so bad that it would cause an explosion outdoors. I get it if it's in an enclosed space. Conditions must have been just right.

Sad, especially since the design for the tank and pump probably didn't have to be that way, and a slight design change with an access cover and a pump that is removable from the top might have avoided this...

A few years back, a guy I know was draining gas from the tank of a customers survivor 67 Camaro. He spilled the gas onto a corded 120 volt drop light with a regular 60 watt bulb in it. Huge fireball and lit up the shop. He was burned pretty badly as well. It was his own shop and also housed his own cars and motorcycles. Im pretty sure it was a total loss... building, cars, customers car...
It seemed odd to me he would have made such a rookie mistake. He had been in the business for a lot of years.
I would never pump gasoline with an electric anything.

Well, it does beg the question since there are all types of electric pumps for pumping flammable and explosive liquids that are intrinsically safe and well proven,

Was a "fit for purpose" electric pump being used and if so was it a pump malfunction or misuse in an unsafe manner.

The articles I saw don't really address that very important question.

Originally Posted by NYEngineer
everytime you go to the gas station you are using an electric something to pump gas. You car most likely has an electric fuel pump.

Originally Posted by CT8
everytime you go to the gas station you are using an electric something to pump gas. You car most likely has an electric fuel pump.

Yes, but the pump at the gas station probably isn't some cheap "made in China" garbage which sells new for under $10.

Anyone who uses a cheap electric fuel pump of the aforementioned quality can only expect favorable results.
Similar to those who use old concrete blocks to suspend a car while working underneath.

If I were in that position, I'd use something that uses vacuum to create suction, such as a mityvac(sp?) or something like this if I were on a budget:
hand operated gas pump

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Anyone who uses a cheap electric fuel pump of the aforementioned quality can only expect favorable results.
Similar to those who use old concrete blocks to suspend a car while working underneath.

What's wrong with concrete blocks? I use them to support a vehicle on occasion. Or are you referring to the hollow cell cinder blocks?

Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2

What's wrong with concrete blocks? I use them to support a vehicle on occasion. Or are you referring to the hollow cell cinder blocks?

Too frangible.

I like DIY auto repair but I'm afraid to mess with the gas tank. That being said. I likely would have gotten the gas out of a tank with a small electric or battery operated pump and not thought too much of it.

Originally Posted by CT8

Yes, but the pump at the gas station probably isn't some cheap "made in China" garbage which sells new for under $10.

If I were in that position, I'd use something that uses vacuum to create suction, such as a mityvac(sp?) or something like this if I were on a budget:
hand operated gas pump

Exactly what I was going to say.

More years ago than I care to admit, I was doing a job here on Long Island where I had to install a water jacketed exhaust shield on a Cat D333 that powered a pump that pumped whatever petroleum based product was being pumped from tanker ships into holding tanks. I was like, really? This makes it safe?
You would think the shaft that turned the pump would have placed it a little distance from hot engine parts. This one was right on the flywheel.
Never heard of any disasters so I guess it was fine.

And yes... As above, Im not pumping gasoline with something not expressly designed to do so. Nothing from HF or Ace.

There was a story a few years ago about a guy that tried to use a shop vac on gasoline, that didn't end well either.

Just replaced my fuel pump. Simply drove it til nearly out of gas then let it idle for an extended period the day before. Still had a lil gas but but enough to make dropping the tank anymore difficult. My next method would have been the manual pump I use to fill any diff/transfer case. I think dude had some extremely bad luck. Pretty sure shops/junk yards use electric transfer pumps to empty gas tanks.

Had to drop the tanks in two old Mazdas (an '85 626 and a '90 MPV) a few years ago to repair leaks due to rust on the tops of the tanks. Both tanks had a drain plug, and in both cases there was a removable panel inside the vehicle for access to the top of the tank. Those two features (drain plug and top access) made the job a lot easier.

In both cases, POR-15 anti-rust epoxy on the outside, and fuel tank sealer on the inside, did a great job.

In contrast, I helped change the fuel pump on my friend's '95 Olds many years ago. No drain plug, and no top access. Tank suspended by rusty straps which I had to cut and replace. What a pain! Can't remember whether or how we drained the tank. I think the owner ran it down pretty low first.

Back