Someone way overfilled the PS fluid!

Worked on a Chevy Trailblazer my sister in law was going to use. It had sat for a long time. It needed a new battery, starter and front wheel bearing.

While working on it I noticed the passenger side of engine/under carriage area wet and drips on the ground. I decided to check the PS fluid level and when I took the cap off fluid poured out of the top of the reservoir. It had been way overfilled!

Would this cause leaking from the cap or hose damage?

Hose damage no. Did you turn the steering wheel with the engine off while doing front end work? If so this is likely the reason the fluid spill over.

Yes what Lebowski said. Repeatedly turning the wheel with the engine off will push fluid out of the reservoir.

You'll need to clear the system by turning all the way from end to end several times with the engine running, then check the level.

Been overfilling Euro cars(Peugeot, Citroen) for years with no damage. They are smoother that way and tons of people do it.
The excess just spills out in a few days to a week, so park it outside the garage.

Originally Posted by Little_Lebowski
Hose damage no. Did you turn the steering wheel with the engine off while doing front end work? If so this is likely the reason the fluid spill over.

Actually I did. I never realized this would occur.

Thanks!

Back