Windshield replacement costs!??

...in your opinion please. Not just a standard windshield replacement but one that has cameras installed on it, lets say on 2015 and onward car models that is equipped with the lane keep assist and the adaptive cruise control features. Also, do you need take it to the dealership for the replacement or aftermarket guys can perform the job as good as a dealership.

Thank you for all your constructive replies

Just had my Genesis windshield replaced the other week. They haven't emailed me the final invoice, I'll make a post on it when I do.

Just the glass was $900. Then the dealership had to reprogram the camera for the lane keep assist as well.

Can't remember what it was on our 2017 Rav4 with the lane departure and auto dimming headlights through the windshield. However, the plan was for the local glass shop to replace it, and if needed, I'd go to the Toyota dealer for recalibration.

Never needed the re calibration. They got the camera unit placed on the new windshield so that everything still worked.

Re-calibration may not be needed. YMMV

Most dealerships contract out glass work so it's not a guarantee of good quality work.

Lucky for you, having a camera means you can't really get low grade glass because it won't ever calibrate properly. My glass guy often has to fight insurance to approve OEM glass because the Chinese crap glass we get here is too distorted to work with cameras.

But it'll be expensive for that reason as well. No more $200 replacements.

Tip for finding a good glass place: Find the locations in your area that are approved to replace glass on Teslas. Any shop capable of doing glass on a Telsa (there's a LOT of glass on them), will be able to do most cars.

Also avoid these DOT codes. Absolute junk that should not be sold:

DOT 459 (Fuyao China)
DOT 563 (Xinyi or XYG)

Even if the glass has "stickers" indicating some better quality brand (Pilkington, etc) go by the silkscreened DOT code which doesn't lie about the origin.

And finally - ask that they remove the existing glass with a wire line cutter and not a blade. This prevents unnecessary marring to the metal and surrounding paint. They should also use a urethane that requires the car to sit for 15-30 minutes before you drive away. If they just throw it on and let you drive off, there's a good chance you'll have to go back some day due to leaks or misalignment.

It depends on the car, etc. There is always cheapo Safelite, but the DOT code on the factory windshield will point to the supplier, so you can see if a local reputable company can order from.

Aftermarket glass can be as good as original equipment, Just make sure that it has the same number of layers as OE and no optical distortion, if top notch it will be cheaper but not extremely so. If it is much cheaper beware.

Last edited:
Why ask for speculation ? Endless glass providers have online tools that allow you to pick your car, options, etc to give you a real price.

Thanks for the prompt answers;

I was testing a used 2015 Mazda6 today then I've noticed a few star-like marks that will need attention soon perhaps; the guy who sells the car quote $250 for replacement of the windshield with his repair shop; the car has 3 cameras attached to the windshield; when he said $250 I've laught to myself, but I could be wrong

Originally Posted by miden851

I was testing a used 2015 Mazda6 today then I've noticed a few star-like marks that will need attention soon perhaps; the guy who sells the car quote $250 for replacement of the windshield with his repair shop; the car has 3 cameras attached to the windshield; when he said $250 I've laught to myself, but I could be wrong

Go look at the windshield for the DOT code.

Then see this link for the manufacturer:

http://www.carwindshields.info/dot_db

If you want an example, use the car you currently own.

No way it would be taken care of for $250. Triple that amount and then you're on the low end of reasonable.

If you are OK with a Safelite replacement go to the website and ask for a quote.
Enter year/make model, etc.
Then do nothing.
They will provide a quote.
In the days/weeks following they will send you discount after discount on the
replacement.
Check your insurance policy as many have a zero $ deductible on glass repair.

My ‘17 CX5 was close to $1000 for a new windshield. That was a new Mazda windshield. Mine is the GT with all the tech. I think the $250 quote is wishful thinking.

A cheap windshield might have variations that mess with the cameras etc.

Originally Posted by Ursatdx
If you are OK with a Safelite replacement go to the website and ask for a quote.
Enter year/make model, etc.
Then do nothing.
They will provide a quote.
In the days/weeks following they will send you discount after discount on the
replacement.
Check your insurance policy as many have a zero $ deductible on glass repair.

If you buy the car with broken glass, it shouldn't be covered by insurance. If you do, technically it's insurance fraud. That's why they like to see it before granting insurance on it but many insurance companies don't.

I had the front glass replaced on my Mercedes and it just has the sensors for the rain. I think the glass was around $400 and the labor around $200 so around $600 but the insurance paid it. Wouldn't let me go to the dealer which would have been over 1k.

This reminds me of the last time I had a windshield replaced, circa 2010, I had to triple check with the glass company that they had the right windshield for my '96 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi with the heads-up display. The glass had a special coating to allow the HUD to project against the glass and reflect clearly back to the driver.

Even after insisting that they were sending the right glass, the guy shows up and before he touches the car I asked him "is that a HUD windshield you have?" He double checked the part number and NOPE! Standard glass. It took 2 weeks for them to order the correct glass and have it shipped in.

This is actually why Safelite stopped making their own windshields a few years ago. Now Safelite mostly installs Fuyao/FYG glass. Note that Fuyao is an OE supplier to car companies. Your next new car may come from the factory with FYG glass.

I've had success with windshieldstogo.com which is just a broker site that partners with local glass installers in your area. They promise OEM quality glass

You can often the same windshield as the factory one but without the automaker's logo

And like someone else already said, dealers outsource glass work, but they supply the glass to the installer. And most 2015+ cars have comprehensive insurance which includes glass, so you only have to pay your deductible
smile.gif

...in your opinion please. Not just a standard windshield replacement but one that has cameras installed on it, lets say on 2015 and onward car models that is equipped with the lane keep assist and the adaptive cruise control features. Also, do you need take it to the dealership for the replacement or aftermarket guys can perform the job as good as a dealership.

Thank you for all your constructive replies

Yeah, cheap is like $600+. Most quotes I got were $850+. Gross.

A few years ago back in 2016 I worked for a small independent dealership that had Fiat 500e and the windshields were a special order and %750. The Teslas model s wasc$1000 and the model X was quoted at $3000.

Typically around $800-$1200 for newer cars including sensor alignment. Get something decent like a PPG windshield if you go aftermarket. I've had terrible luck with Safelite. OEM is usually around $3-400 more for a Honda.

Last edited:
Back