Subaru Engine Air Filter

Ordered new engine and cabin filters for a used Subaru purchased earlier this year. 30k service says filters replaced. Well, 15k later when replacing today all kinds of grass, leaves, bugs, etc. inside air box. I'm talking 2 handfuls. Filter was black, dusty, dirty, etc. Never seen an air filter and filter box with 15k on it filled with that much stuff. Really wondering if they actually changed them for the previous owner. I'm fairly confident he put almost all highway miles on it in that time as I know him. I jokingly texted him if he drove through a lot of grass and wheat fields before selling to us LOL The cabin filter was pretty nasty for 15k too. Compare it to my car with 15k and I checked the filters today and left them in because they look fine.

Just a random post, but I'm interested to see what 15k from now looks like knowing for sure where I drive it. Also, the resonator box attached to the air box had leaves and grass in it. Or maybe there's a rodent living in it? Who knows...I guess this is my new level of excitement during "stay at home". Investigating air filter contents.

When I changed my Wife's AF last fall, there was a mouse nest in there along with a lot of tree seeds and pine needles.

NO Fuel mileage or drivability issues were noted, as a "clogged" filter just throttles the engine and air metering is post-filter..

We Live in the Woods bordering on the State forest.

"Your" 15K in your setting will tell the story.
The photo is of my CAF at 20K. I have the Sun shining through it for dramatic effect.

DSC00490.jpg

Back