Driver crashes after passing out with n95 mask

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I see people wearing masks while inside the car and I think they're nuts because if no one else is inside, you don't need to wear one. People don't seem to know how to wear masks. They're always adjusting them or not wearing them over the nose.

If a pathogen is in the blowing breeze outside everywhere, a common mask isn't going to help in the long run. Why people are wearing them solo in their cars is beyond me.

lt's mandatory to wear a mask anytime you are outside here.
I gave up wearing a mask at work. If a customer comes in i will put one on. I get light headed when working and breathing hard with a mask on then I get a headache

Using a mask puts some extra strain in the lungs if you are not used to wearing one. If you have asthma, it makes things worse. I also know of a person that is allergic to the material that they use to make the masks.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
If a pathogen is in the blowing breeze outside everywhere, a common mask isn't going to help in the long run. Why people are wearing them solo in their cars is beyond me.

Most cars have cabin filters these days and usually they're hepa filters which should filter out the virus. Also I doubt if the air droplets can make it all the way through the gaps without being stopped by some material in the car before it reaches you. And the range of droplets is about 6 feet so there's probably no one really near you when you're driving. Even if someone walks in front of the car, the air intake is usually in front of the windshield so you usually have plenty of distance unless you're driving a smart car.

If a pathogen is in the blowing breeze outside everywhere, a common mask isn't going to help in the long run.

The main purpose of that mask is to stop the person wearing it from spreading the virus, in case he/she is infected and doesn't know it or shows no symptoms, which apparently is quite common.

It's not blowing in the breeze everywhere, but it could cause those who are infected, including unknowingly, to not put spittle all over their interior which then poses a risk to any near term occupants. Remember that just because you see someone alone in a car, that is no proof they aren't going to have a passenger sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Wolf359
Yeah, I see people wearing masks while inside the car and I think they're nuts because if no one else is inside, you don't need to wear one. People don't seem to know how to wear masks. They're always adjusting them or not wearing them over the nose.

Yes, it's like the guy pushing the shopping cart and eating a bag of chips with gloves on. People are generally not that great with the use of PPE.

My wife has made us all cloth masks. I had a few N95 masks around, but all they do is fog up my glasses to the point where I tend to touch my glasses and sometimes my face to compensate.

I don't wear a mask while driving or in open spaces, unless I have multiple stops to make and forgot my hand sanitizer.

//

I forgot mine the other day while shopping and one of the ladies who worked there gave me a hard time about it. She had a home-made kerchief...that I saw her put on and take back off as She waited on customers. I told her that I had forgotten my mask at home, but that maybe it was for the best, since I can't seem to stop touching the mask, which is likely worse than having no mask at all. I think she got the point.

I never saw her change gloves between handling money and her mask, either...

This same lady bragged to me about spraying some guy I'm the face with Lysol because he coughed while at the register. I have allergies and occasionally clear my throat. I'd love to see her face if she did this to me and I had to swat the darned can out of her hand!

Originally Posted by gathermewool
My wife has made us all cloth masks. I had a few N95 masks around, but all they do is fog up my glasses to the point where I tend to touch my glasses and sometimes my face to compensate.

I don't wear a mask while driving or in open spaces, unless I have multiple stops to make and forgot my hand sanitizer.

//

I forgot mine the other day while shopping and one of the ladies who worked there gave me a hard time about it. She had a home-made kerchief...that I saw her put on and take back off as She waited on customers. I told her that I had forgotten my mask at home, but that maybe it was for the best, since I can't seem to stop touching the mask, which is likely worse than having no mask at all. I think she got the point.

I never saw her change gloves between handling money and her mask, either...

This same lady bragged to me about spraying some guy I'm the face with Lysol because he coughed while at the register. I have allergies and occasionally clear my throat. I'd love to see her face if she did this to me and I had to swat the darned can out of her hand!

There's a testing video out there on the proper way to get fitted for an N95 mask. You're supposed to check for leaks and make sure that metal bit is shaped to your nose and once you put it on, you're not supposed to touch it. I see too many people touching and adjusting their regular mask all the time which defeats the purpose if it's supposed to be contaminated. I saw one lady kept taking it off her nose and trying to talk to me, I took a step back and told her I couldn't hear her as there was music playing in the store.

Anyway, I'd love to see the video of you swatting the can away!

Just some thoughts from an old instructor back in the day of the USACMLS from back in the day ( and including the COBRA facility at ft. McClellan) and contributor to many revisions in NBC and testing during activation right after 9-11 adapting civilian equipment and testing against military grade agents in preparation for a possible NBC (WMD for civilians) activity.

Even military masks (17 and 25 series as well as all the 40's) with intake and nose valves will build up CO2 because of the air path and filter restriction and degrade a person ( get light headed often when having to be in MOPP-4 for 8 hrs to meet the requirement or run a CS chamber all day)

These little ones are even more likely to hold in CO2 over time.

I can easily see this happening especially to older people or with certain conditions.

Also as far as PPE against "it" they are functionally worthless and nothing more than a placebo because we made it clear in training that our green filtered ( combat issue) were 100% ineffective against all known biological agents ( due to size of the agent) so there is no way this little piece of whatever provides any protection against a true biological agent.

There is an extremely small ability to trap said agent with an aerosol carrier such as breath but once it saturates the mask- that is negated permanently ( all you guys and gals in uniform remember what we said happened to your "protection" if your filters or MOPP gear ever got wet?- same thing here for the same reason and that hasn't changed) Once that happens then anything will spread by contact.

The exception to that is a spored agent ( the encapsulation casing is large enough for many activated filters to catch) but that isn't readily "transferred" and a whole different animal.

The human lung cannot pull through a filter fine enough to actually protect against an airborne biological agent= that's why they are power driven.

Just FYI

You're probably right which is probably why they're supposed be changed after every patient instead of being worn all day.

If you want to see terrible examples of how to wear your facial covering, just watch Nancy or AOC on C-Span... and that's probably more than I should say. Anything more would for sure get deleted and/or vacation time. But I can say this (I think):

There have always been deadly pathogens. There will always be deadly pathogens. Use your own brain and not the one that's plugged into the wall. Contrary to popular belief, those talking heads in the District are not working with your best interests in mind.

Excellent point Subie (ashamed I overlooked it after all those don and doff drills)

If it doesn't seal 100% of the time with all facial activities then its worthless from jump street.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo

If you want to see terrible examples of how to wear your facial covering, just watch Nancy or AOC on C-Span... and that's probably more than I should say. Anything more would for sure get deleted and/or vacation time. But I can say this (I think):

There have always been deadly pathogens. There will always be deadly pathogens. Use your own brain and not the one that's plugged into the wall. Contrary to popular belief, those talking heads in the District are not working with your best interests in mind.

You lost me once you said C-Span.

As for not 100%, even if it's only 40-90%, it's still better than nothing. Got to get away from this all or nothing mentality. Seatbelt/Airbag won't save your life 100% of the time either. In fact if you have a bad airbag, it may kill you.

As for not 100%, even if it's only 40-90%, it's still better than nothing. Got to get away from this all or nothing mentality. Seatbelt/Airbag won't save your life 100% of the time either. In fact if you have a bad airbag, it may kill you.

Respectfully in this case

That's a non sequitur comparison in relation to necessary protection from a bio ( or chem) agent ( or body armor for that matter)

Try scuba diving with just a 1/4" hole in the air hose and report back on that 90% air you are still getting.

Theres no real second place winner in a gunfight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back