Mobil 1 Filter So different

Just bought 4 M1C-251A filters from Advance Auto online
They were always metal with a rubber O-ring attached now there different paper no metal.

B5D6C624-C7A9-4245-B24C-26C2E5A30C5E.jpeg

1E471021-297D-497A-B7D3-EFB9D2E96C37.jpeg

Last edited:
probably the latest engineering iteration after a design review

If it was anything "new" or "improved" it would most likely be advertised- when its not its normally just the next generation of the theme.

Originally Posted by Rhymingmechanic
Toyota OEM cartridge filters have that same construction, at least for the 1.8. Standard Wix are similar.

And they're only $4

Much cheaper to produce. Oil just goes around the open pleats, not through them. That is the reason I stopped using the OEM Toyota and started using the TRD version.

Originally Posted by VQ35DE
... Oil just goes around the open pleats, not through them. That is the reason I stopped using the OEM Toyota ...
Not likely, because the ends are blocked by glue on Toyota filters of this type that I've seen. However, I've seen some Purolators of the same type construction that didn't have any visible glue there.

I would be iffy about that one.
I just got a wix cartrage filter for the first time. It looks good, plastic end caps and o rings on both insides sof the plastic to seal

15878553487811956229108358663162.jpg

Originally Posted by CR94
... Oil just goes around the open pleats, not through them. That is the reason I stopped using the OEM Toyota ...
Not likely, because the ends are blocked by glue on Toyota filters of this type that I've seen. However, I've seen some Purolators of the same type construction that didn't have any visible glue there.

It will 100% happen because the glue on that filter DOES NOT extend all the way out to the OUTER end of the pleats. Just look at the picture of that filter and follow the oil flow. Think about it.

Mobil is changing over to Purolator for their filters from Champ.
They use different designs apparently. I would use it without concern (but would not buy any Purolator made filter out of principal).

Originally Posted by CR94

It will 100% happen because the glue on that filter DOES NOT extend all the way out to the OUTER end of the pleats. Just look at the picture of that filter and follow the oil flow. Think about it.

No way to know that just by looking at a photo.

Not going by the photo. I have had the filters in my hand. Even used them but , no more. When you look at one and THINK about it, the ends not being totally covered with something makes no sense.

Not going by the photo. I have had the filters in my hand. Even used them but , no more. When you look at one and THINK about it, the ends not being totally covered with something makes no sense.

How far down from the end of the pleat is the glue?

When I used OEM Toyota filters the glue was only a millimeter or so below the end of the pleats, and from what I saw there was no way for dirty oil to get by that seal unless the seal job was bad (ie, missing glue).

The glue or a endcap needs to cover the entire top and bottom of a canister or cartridge filter for all the oil to be forced through the media. The OEM Toyota is what made me see the light and go with the TRD filters.

Much cheaper to produce. Oil just goes around the open pleats, not through them. That is the reason I stopped using the OEM Toyota and started using the TRD version.

Oh, it just does not filter at all … Ok …

The glue or a endcap needs to cover the entire top and bottom of a canister or cartridge filter for all the oil to be forced through the media. The OEM Toyota is what made me see the light and go with the TRD filters.

Very well could easily be places where the seal around the pleat ends isn't 100% ... and that could be one reason why Toyota OEM filters don't have very high efficiency. I stopped using them after seeing the low efficiency data.

Back