G44 or M&P 22

Looking for a fun to shoot 22 compact 3.5 to 4 in. Prices are approximately the same for the Glock G44 and the S&W M&P 22 compact. Reason to purchase one over the other if both feel good to handle? Ed

You don't own any Glocks or you wouldn't be asking the question and you're not a Glock hater. The G44 duplicates the size of a G19, the S&W is a bit smaller. Can't go wrong with either, handle both, guaranteed they will feel different to you.

Glock will have a different angle and trigger operation. Not sure if it makes a difference to you or not - only handling them (at minimum) or trying each will let you decide. If you have one or the other (or intend to buy one or the other) in a centerfire caliber, that would be the main reason, IMO to select one over the other.

Walter p22q might be a good option too. It is pretty small though, IMO.

Or a S&W 18 or 63, which would be my choice... depending upon size desired.

I have no personal experience with either, but a quick goole brings up some strife related to the G44...

I'd strongly advise cruising the respective forums at Rimfire Central...

hi eddie, is there any reason why you aren't considering a ruger sr22? ive put many thousand various rounds through mine, all great plinking fun. that said, while i have no direct experience with either the glock 44 or s&w m&p22, i do like s&w's m&p platform in 380acp, plus everything that i have heard about the m&p22 makes it sound like a great choice.

Sometimes it boils down to features that you want, or may want in the future. Things such as adjustable sights, replaceable sights, mounting rails, aftermarket accessories, etc. Especially if you might get into competition shooting someday, like indoor pistol.
Ends up being a personal choice.

I added the Ruger SR22 to the list. I wish I could handle all three guns in the same shop for comparison but, it appears not, at least in my area. Ed

I have been doing some research on the same type pistol and was unfamiliar with the Taurus TX 22 until this thread. I've done some reading on it and it seems impressive especially for the money.

Everyone seems to like the PPQ 22 and the M&P 22 but I'm going to see if I can handle a Taurus TX22......

I bought the Taurus TX-22 a few months ago. Bought it from Uncle Lee's in Greenville, KY. They are owned by Bud's Gun Shop and they sold it to me at the Bud's cash price of $247. I haven't shot it much yet but what I have shot it I've really liked it. It's really light weight, feels good in the hand and has a great trigger. I've been meaning to take a brick of ammo out and break it in but something always gets in the way. Biggest problem is Taurus's customer service isn't very good. I once needed a guide rod/recoil spring for a Taurus model and they wanted me to ship the gun to them for them to install it saying there would be about a 12 week turnaround to do a 2 minute job. I told them I could change the guide rod/recoil spring myself in less than 5 minutes. I asked to speak to a supervisor and they said they'd have one give me a call. I wasn't home when they called and they didn't leave a call back number. I guess Taurus saw I wasn't going to send the gun in for them to fix so after a few weeks they sent me a guide rod/ recoil spring. I've heard other complaints over the years about their customer service. They claim to have a lifetime warranty but, when you read the fine print about 90% of the gun isn't covered in the warranty. People have differing opinions on Hi Point and I have a couple of them. They're by far not my favorite guns but at least Hi Point stands behind their lifetime warranty.

I have a TX-22 and it's a fun pistol- more of a trainer. I also have a BuckMark Micro Bull and a S&W Victory- which is my main precision target and squirrel gun.

I have an SR22 as others have mentioned above, fun plinker. I got it before they came out with the longer barrel version, which I'd probably get if I were buying a 22 pistol now.

However, since then, I've gotten a bunch of Glocks, including a 19, so If I were shopping now, I'd probably be getting the G44.

Like others have mentioned, the biggest reason to go with one over the other would be if you wanted to match a specific manual of arms with another pistol.

Back