Stainless Steel tools

Amazon sells some expensive SS tool sets for keeping in your boat. Will the chromium (and ?? other metals) that are added make the tools significantly weaker that a normal tool? Wrenches bending?

Originally Posted by Donald
Amazon sells some expensive SS tool sets for keeping in your boat. Will the chromium (and ?? other metals) that are added make the tools significantly weaker that a normal tool? Wrenches bending?

That's all a marketing gimmick

Like Bronze/Brass tools exist for non sparking situations- SS tools exist for certain applications like in the chemical industry or others where corrosion of ferric contamination can cause process issues in things like in food service, medical, certain chemicals like nitrates etc.

Some industries and processes wont allow the plated tooling for fear of the plating being damaged and exposing the CS

There is no significant difference in performance that I have ever seen or heard about (other than the cost)

I have heard accounts where they fracture sometimes as a result of a greater hardness to tempering ratio common to SS in any mixture but that's with cheater bars and impact usage ( personally I see almost the same with regular CS tools)

reminds me of a story..

boy takes his allowance to the bait and tackle shop and buys these fancy looking lures that are advertised to get you the biggest fish yet.

dad takes boy fishing and the boy thinks he's going to now out fish his old man with his new fancy lures... times goes on boy has little to no more bites than the old man.

old man says son, let me tell you something the only "big catch" of the day was you buying them fancy lures.

you dont need ss tools for working on a boat get yourself a can of wd40 or supertech spray lube and an old sock. wipe your tools down when you're finished save your money.

The simple solution is better. Take a small water tight box like an ammo box or 2 that HF sells. Get the basic Chinese wrenches and screwdrivers, vise grips small hammer a crescent duck tape ect. . You're good to go for anything that you realistically can do out on the water. I just oil mine up yearly like a gun yearly when they come out of the basement for the season. Never a problem.

Originally Posted by Driz
The simple solution is better. Take a small water tight box like an ammo box or 2 that HF sells. Get the basic Chinese wrenches and screwdrivers, vise grips small hammer a crescent duck tape ect. . You're good to go for anything that you realistically can do out on the water. I just oil mine up yearly like a gun yearly when they come out of the basement for the season. Never a problem.

WORD! That's exactly what I do too

The 440 grade of steel is most popular for tool steel applications. It is used when you need tool steel together with corrosion resistance. It is made for quench and tempering.

Originally Posted by Oildudeny
reminds me of a story..

boy takes his allowance to the bait and tackle shop and buys these fancy looking lures that are advertised to get you the biggest fish yet.

dad takes boy fishing and the boy thinks he's going to now out fish his old man with his new fancy lures... times goes on boy has little to no more bites than the old man.

old man says son, let me tell you something the only "big catch" of the day was you buying them fancy lures.

you dont need ss tools for working on a boat get yourself a can of wd40 or supertech spray lube and an old sock. wipe your tools down when you're finished save your money.

+1. On the boat, my FIL keeps his tools in a sealable box with a bit of baby powder. Seems to keep them well enough.

Yes stainless is weaker but a properly designed tool will have that taken into account and be built adequate for its intended use, unless of course, it is generic junk. Also consider that there are different stainless grades trading hardness for corrosion resistance, at least within affordable alloys.

Back