Stabil use in E0 pure gasoline

Superbuick96

Site Donor 2023
I'm fortunate to have a Circle K (rebranded Marathon)that sells ethanol free 90 octane gasoline, using it for all of my outdoor equipment with a dose of Stabil. I've been wondering do I need to use Stabil if I go through 2 gallons of gas approximately every 4 months between the mowers, and snowblower? The way I'm looking at it why burn and inhale more chemicals than I have too.

I buy ethanol free 91 octane (from Kwik Trip) 3-5 gallons at a time for use in the (MTD) snowblower, (Honda) pressure washer, and (Honda) mower.
I don't bother treating it and it can last for 3+ months, often longer during spring and fall when those machines aren't in use. Nary a problem, and the Hondas are 2-pull starts.
The leaf blower and trimmer get the same 91 octane mixed with Stihl synthetic oil. That does include a stabilizer, but I don't add any extra.
I wouldn't worry about it. E0 is already great for storage/limited use.

I buy E0 in 92 octane. Use it in a small boat that makes only about 4 outings a year … so use Techron marine multi purpose that claims it has pretty much all fuel related issues addressed.
What E0 stays in a can for small engines has normal stabil since it might take a year to use it up.
My Stihl gets can gas … by using my electric saws for lighter stuff often … it's seeing less duty.

Lastly … lawn tractor burns enough gas that E10 is fine … with a shot of gumout PEA

https://boatus.com/magazine/2011/december/ethanol.asp

Last edited:
The biggest issue I've had with Ethanol gas in small engine is its impact on plastic and rubber parts. I have an old chain saw that actually had the screw in gas cap swell up so bad that it wouldn't fit any longer! After that I use 0E gas in them, but if I don't have that, I just drain the tank out and leave the cap off after I use it.

Originally Posted by Slick17601
I still put it in just for peace of mind.

Same here, been doing it for so long I"m afraid the world may come to an end if I don't.
banana2.gif

Sometimes I can find non - ethanol regular 87 at a local gas station - if not , I'll bite the bullet and buy a can of True Fuel from Home Depot , Lowes , etc. and use as my last mower fill before putting the mower away for the season .

At your rate of usage, you can run whatever gas you want without concern. I recommend a busy station so the gas is relatively fresh.
I use Sta-bil in the dirt bikes regularly because I never know how long they are going to sit. I ride them often in the warmer months but still there have been times when life happened and they sat for many months. So I like to keep them protected. I use it in the mower only during the winter when it usually sits for 3-4 months at a time, and even then a use will only burn 1/3 of a tank of fuel. I use the car and pickup year-round and I practically never use stabilizer in them.

Back