sudden sleep apnea?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I've had this problem for maybe 2 weeks- I go to sleep and as soon as I fall asleep wake up gasping for air. It can happen 5 times or more (maybe 20 in a row last night). Sounds like obvious sleep apnea, right? But it happens even if I am on my stomach or side. I don't typically snore (supposedly) as long as I use a breathe-right and am not on my back. And why so sudden? I didn't just put on 20 lbs and actually have been getting more cardio in the past month. Been working out every day for years.

I'm starting to dread going to bed and I can't image I'm going to be able to see a doctor soon.

Yeah, we can't dispense medical advice. Best to see a doctor.
smile.gif

Last edited:
If you tell the triage nurse what's going on, you'll get an appointment. Maybe via tele-medicine or maybe in person.

Medical advice is discouraged here on BITOG, and I am not a doctor. That said if you want to loose the weight because there is a good chance that is causing it, try to limit your carbohydrate intake to:

Breakfast 60 or less

Lunch 40 or less (preferably less than 20)

Mid-day snack 30 or less

Supper 60 or less

Evening snack 30 or less if you can, but if you can't at least less than 60

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Carbohydrates (carbs) are what your body burns as the fuel to power everything. Your body brakes them down into more usable specific sugars that it uses to power everything.

If you eat excess, you body stores that as fats to be used later as a source of fuel when you can not find enough to eat.

If you eat less carbs than your body requires for the day then you body converts some of the previous stored fats into specific sugars to use to power everything and you loose weight.

Therefore the key to loosing weight is to eat less carbs than you body requires each day and the weight will come off.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As someone who went from 228 Lbs to 172 Lbs in six months I can tell you that counting and limiting the carbs at each meal and each snack works. Mathematically it is much simpler than counting calories. Anyone can total up numbers that total out to less than or equal to 60 at each meal or snack.

You will need a scale that can measure the weight of food to the gram. Try to get one that is powered by AA batteries or plug into the wall. The ones that are powered by small button cells go through batteries too fast and the batteries cost too much.

There are many sites on the internet of what foods are low in carbs, some good low carb foods are, eggs, liquid egg white is excellent as it basically has 0 carbs, nuts, cheese, cottage cheese, home made ice tea (with much less sugar than store bought), some yogurts, blueberries (measure the weight in grams, and look up how many carbs for a given amount of grams),

There are many others good low carb foods, you have to look and find the ones that you like that you can fit into your diet and stick to it.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Yeah, we can't dispense medical advice. Best to see a doctor.
smile.gif

Good advice. Get on with it.

In the interim be sure not to have any alcohol (that includes beer) late in the day, meaning many hours before bedtime. And no sleeping pills, opioids ("pain pills") or anything like that.

OP, do you even have any idea of how many carbs were in any meal or snack you ate in the last day or so? Look at the labels and add them up sometime. For some items you will have to weigh them.

You can have Central Sleep Apnea which is a brain disorder. Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) is the one where the throat collapses.

What is your neck circumference? Even for skinny guys, having an unusually large neck size (over 15") can contribute to OSA.

It could also be stress induced because of the covid situation. When life is unstable and unpredictable, it causes low grade stress that most people don't recognize.

Originally Posted by Reddy45
You can have Central Sleep Apnea which is a brain disorder. Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) is the one where the throat collapses.

It could also be stress induced because of the covid situation. When life is unstable and unpredictable, it causes low grade stress that most people don't recognize.

This. You can suddenly have central sleep apnea. I had some when young (surprise!) And often now. See a doctor ASAP if it lasts days in a row, or wait until it's safer... Your choice, but since it's medical advice you should ask a doctor.

Good thing it wakes you up. I had severe sleep apnea (120 incidents/hr) for a good while, and it never woke me up...just kept me from really sleeping. Sleep study estimated I was getting 9min of sleep a night. I was a real Zombie. CPAP saved my life.

See the Doc & get a sleep study.

If your state is not under lockdown then you might be able to see a doctor. Otherwise, go to ED and they might qualify it as emergency and the doctor will be allowed to see you.

If your state is not under a lockdown then see a doctor ASAP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back