Replacement tire for a subaru outback

The thread on the Subaru outback 2011 is still good, but it's been a few years and I am looking for a future replacement. Current tires are a set of Goodyear TRIPLE Assurance Tires. I live near Chicago and so get a moderate amount of snow and the snow tend to stick around.

I have notice that several Michelin have gotten good rating lately. I have been thinking about Michelin Crossclimate SUV, anyone have experience with them? I notice that they also sell a Premiere and Defender. The Premiere supposedly is sportier but have terrible thread life. I want something that works in dry, wet and snow.

Paul

I had an Outback and I put Nokian WG5 great tires, Michelin's crossclimate were a few years away, also another one to consider is the Toyo Celsius which I have on my Lexus RX350

I'm running a set of Continental ControlContact Tour A/S on my wife's Outback, and I've been very happy with them. Great handling. Quiet. They are wearing very well. But I can't speak as to how they handle in the snow, as I run a set of Bridgestone Blizzak DV-M1 on it during the winter.

The ControlContact tires replaced a set of Michelin Defender tires. They were good tires except for tread wear. I had to replace them at only 40k miles - way short of the 80k mile warranty. The good news is that Michelin makes good on the tread wear warranty, so that went a long way to helping pay for the set of ControlContact. So you probably wouldn't go wrong with either.

But if I were putting a new set of tires on my Outback today, I'd put another set of the ControlContact Tour A/S on.

We have RT43's on our '13 outback (17" rim) , great performers in the rain and snow. They are a very good value. The CrossClimate+ has better ratings but is a lot more expensive.

The Michelin Crossclimate SUV seems to be a noisy tire.
Just looking over the reviews on Tirerack for this tire.
Quite impressive.

Scorpion Verde All Season Plus II

Out of the Michelin options you listed, the Cross Climate will be the best in snow.

Other good options, if available in your size:
Vredestein Quatrac 5
Toyo Celsius
Nokian WRG4
Goodyear Weatherready

No need to spend over 100 bucks a tire to get and excellent tire.

We have some inexpensive - but Tirerack TOP rated - Sumitomo's on the Crosstrek They are very very good, and ride much smoother than the OEM tires.

HTR A/S P02

[Linked Image]

According to CR Sumitomo HTR A/S PO2 got 47 Pts and is really bad in snow traction and rolling resistance.
Expected tread life 35K.

They placed 2nd from the last in their test.

Krzys

Thanks for your input. based on the list here:

Vredestein Quatrac 5 seemed like the best deal. It's fairly inexpensive, has a mountain snowflake rating, and perform well. Not the best but near the top. However, it does not seemed to be available in my area. The same can be said about Toyo Celsius. . Goodyear Weatherready appears to be one of the more expensive, but available.

Paul

Originally Posted by BHopkins
I'm running a set of Continental ControlContact Tour A/S on my wife's Outback, and I've been very happy with them. Great handling. Quiet. They are wearing very well. But I can't speak as to how they handle in the snow, as I run a set of Bridgestone Blizzak DV-M1 on it during the winter.

The ControlContact tires replaced a set of Michelin Defender tires. They were good tires except for tread wear. I had to replace them at only 40k miles - way short of the 80k mile warranty. The good news is that Michelin makes good on the tread wear warranty, so that went a long way to helping pay for the set of ControlContact. So you probably wouldn't go wrong with either.

But if I were putting a new set of tires on my Outback today, I'd put another set of the ControlContact Tour A/S on.

How often do you have your alignment checked?

Originally Posted by Paul_Siu
The thread on the Subaru outback 2011 is still good, but it's been a few years and I am looking for a future replacement. Current tires are a set of Goodyear TRIPLE Assurance Tires. I live near Chicago and so get a moderate amount of snow and the snow tend to stick around.

I have notice that several Michelin have gotten good rating lately. I have been thinking about Michelin Crossclimate SUV, anyone have experience with them? I notice that they also sell a Premiere and Defender. The Premiere supposedly is sportier but have terrible thread life. I want something that works in dry, wet and snow.

Paul

You can never go wrong with Michelin, especially if there's any rebates or anything. For full price, there are some definite competitors that are great value. Check Consumer Reports.

Vredestein Quatrac 5 seemed like the best deal. It's fairly inexpensive, has a mountain snowflake rating, and perform well. Not the best but near the top. However, it does not seemed to be available in my area. The same can be said about Toyo Celsius. . Goodyear Weatherready appears to be one of the more expensive, but available.

Paul

Can you explain availability/where you looked?

(there are walmarts, costco, sam's, discount tire and many installers around you)

The biggest local tire distribution center (can't remember who owns them... tire rack or disocunt tire) is somewhere in Indiana, about 1.5-2 hours from you...They ship to your door/preferred installer

Agree , RT43 H rated or the new generation Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring A/S . See here , https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...iroyal-tiger-paw-touring-a-s#Post5380448 , pictures included . Keep us informed . Not sure if the Tiger Paw have silica , like those of the RT43 . Used the RT43 (H) for 1 winter with good results . Been using the RT43 for about 5 years . Have little impact on gas mileage .

Last edited:
Originally Posted by krzyss
According to CR Sumitomo HTR A/S PO2 got 47 Pts and is really bad in snow traction and rolling resistance.
Expected tread life 35K.

They placed 2nd from the last in their test.

Krzys

And CR rated my Whirpool Gold Fridge near the Top when I bought it and its a piece of junk.

But That's a data point. and thank you.

I Don't drive the car so I cant confirm or deny anything.
The Tires are wearing well, the ride is good though they need a couple PSIG higher than the
Yokos to keep the steering sharp.
I got them specifically for water evacuation as my wife's biggest commute problem ( that I witnessed on a trip)
is hitting standing water on the HIghway at high speed and nearly loosing control.

She has Z rated not H rated that makes a difference in my past Tire purchases.

Vredestein Quatrac 5 seemed like the best deal. It's fairly inexpensive, has a mountain snowflake rating, and perform well. Not the best but near the top. However, it does not seemed to be available in my area.

Paul

Tire Rack carries them. Be aware that they are supposed to be fairly noisy. (Which I think generally hods true for tires with the 3peak rating)

Ive always had stellar performance form Michelin, if they make a tire for my fitment, it is almost always my first choice. No experience with the cross climate, but I certainly would not be afraid to try it. The premiers reputation for wearing badly stems from peoples misconception about the design, they start out fairly shallow tread wise and are designed to be run further down... I had a set on a a car we recently sold wearing very well and have another set in the family on the old Acura.

Paul

Something not asked yet:
Do you have a garage and the space for an additional wheels + tire set?
Normally i would not recommend winter tires in Chicago area, but winter 2018, I had a set and used it on 294, and a base Toyota Yaris was transformed...
For the rest, on weather over 45F, performance was squishy/squigly. Probably I should have adjusted the tire pressure too.

Also, tires with new broken in thread (about 100 miles) are pretty good in new/new-ish snow: confirmed with 2 different vehicles.

OP/Paul_Siu, have you checked reviews of Michelin Crossclimate SUV on all possible websites? (tirerack/discount tire/tirebuyer/simpletire/etc etc). Like that you can see similar performance. or at least filter them.

I have looked at Tirerack and Consumer review. Tirerack did rate Crossclimate SUV pretty high, but the other tires not not to far behind. The CrossClimate+ CR recommended is not available for my vehicle.

I thought about separate snow tires for safety reason, but with TPM it's a royal pain. Despite is reputation of being a chilly city, it's really that bad. I don't think winter tires is warranted.

Paul

Back