Coating the windshield with Rainx, wax etc...

I have in the past used Rainx on my windshield. Never waxed it or used other sealants or polishing compounds etc...

Have you ever or do you do something to your windshield for better rain/snow performance?

Turtle Wax Ice shine n seal

I stopped using the RainX windshield washer fluid. It gums up the sensors and you'll get a perpetual low windshield washer fluid light. I used to apply the other RainX to my windshield, but the Turtle Wax works just as good IMO.

Last edited:
From a price-to-performance standpoint, Aquapel is hard to beat. But there are a A LOT of fakes out there; you have to make sure you purchase the real one.

Unless the product sheens instead of beads water it causes difficulties in the rain at night. I stoped using glass treatments because of night driving problems.

found the stuff like tw ss does not last long on glass. i used to use rain x but am using griots glass sealant these days. seems to last longer than rain x

I quit using RainX on my daily driver. The benefits only are apparent at high speed. Yes, I used to have to make weekly 200 mile trips and I could turn the wipers off, it beaded the water so well. But, as others have mentioned, windshield wiper chatter, sensor issue, and things like that have now steered me away from it.

Ultimately, it's a personal choice. If you drive long distances at high speed in the rain, there is a definite benefit.
Otherwise, I'll take what the engineers gave me.

Originally Posted by Skippy722

I stopped using the RainX windshield washer fluid. It gums up the sensors and you'll get a perpetual low windshield washer fluid light. I used to apply the other RainX to my windshield, but the Turtle Wax works just as good IMO.

I had the same experience with our Dad's truck. I bought RainX because he didn't want to use the cheapest washer fluid, he wanted a better quality fluid. Now his truck has a low windshield fluid light on all the time. Some of our other cars are old enough not to have that problem, just his truck. Is there a way to clean the sensor?

I quit with the rain x washer fluid but use the spray cleaner instead. I like it, it works. I have used turtle wax years ago. It worked good to. I find the spray is easier.

Originally Posted by The Critic
From a price-to-performance standpoint, Aquapel is hard to beat. But there are a A LOT of fakes out there; you have to make sure you purchase the real one.

The only people who use rain x are those who've never tried Aquapel. Related, my wipers are PIAA and 5 years old; don't squeak, chirp or chatter. Buy once, cry once.

Originally Posted by PontiacHO
Unless the product sheens instead of beads water it causes difficulties in the rain at night. I stoped using glass treatments because of night driving problems.

This is a very good point ^^^^^

Just me but I find the rain x washer fluid works extremely well... It makes the water droplets fly up and off the windshield and it makes the water drops almost translucent in way which I find very helpful as well.

I clean the windshield really well, then polish with Bon Ami 1886 formula and a wet microfiber towel. I'm amazed at the gunk that comes off a "clean" windshield. The surface is much smoother afterwords allowing for an effect similar to Rain-X without the shimmer at night. It also keeps ice and snow from adhering as well. I do use the Rain-X windshield washer fluid, but cut about 50% with regular stuff, as it's a bit too concentrated for me. I think the issues with "low washer fluid" lights are specific to certain models (German cars and some DCX/FCA cars if I remember correctly). I have GM, Ford and Subaru and mine all work fine.

Last edited:

The Critic.
This Aquapel looks interesting, but your comment about knock-offs worry me. How can you tell if it's genuine?
Thanks.

Originally Posted by njohnson
Originally Posted by Skippy722

I had the same experience with our Dad's truck. I bought RainX because he didn't want to use the cheapest washer fluid, he wanted a better quality fluid. Now his truck has a low windshield fluid light on all the time. Some of our other cars are old enough not to have that problem, just his truck. Is there a way to clean the sensor?

I know on some FCA vehicles the sensor is 2 little metal electrodes that get gunked up. I watched a video where a dude taped a brush to a long handle and was able to clean his, but it didn't work on my 300 because of the shape of the bottle and where the sensor was.

Originally Posted by Ihatetochangeoil

The only people who use rain x are those who've never tried Aquapel. Related, my wipers are PIAA and 5 years old; don't squeak, chirp or chatter. Buy once, cry once.

Yes, Aquapac is by far the best. It has become much harder to find over the years though.

Originally Posted by ZZman
I have in the past used Rainx on my windshield. Never waxed it or used other sealants or polishing compounds etc...

Have you ever or do you do something to your windshield for better rain/snow performance?

Sometimes my son waxes it and sometimes he uses RAIN-X.

Back