Need a simple mileage log for personal MPG use

I am retired and don't want to log for personal vs business expenses, GPS, and other complications. I am just trying to log the MPG's on my '03 Blazer for my recording of my 4.3L personal gasoline mileage. I think it is the best way to know when there is a mechanical problem and a repair or tune up is due. Nothing complicated like the internet logs wants to make it. No Tax write off's and no business expense claims. I just want to know if I am getting 17.1 mpg in mostly city driving and 19.3 mpg in mostly Hwy driving. The logs and app's I have seen on the net are way too complicated and are business oriented. I do have a Android Samsung smart phone, if there is a good app for me. But good old pen and paper is okay, too. TIA, Jim

Hi, Jim - I've used Fuelly.com for a while. No app, just load it up on your phone's browser. There's a mobile interface, which makes it easier for entering data on your phone.

Here's a screenshot from my phone...
[Linked Image]

Multiple users here (I am not one) have reported using Fuelly as stated above and commented on the easy to use interface.

Cheers!!!
cheers3.gif

I have been using Fuel Buddy from Google Play store. It keeps track of your fuel mileage and if you enter the Brand and Octane it will give you a graph of fuel mileage by Brand or Octane, it also graphs your mileage over time so you can see if the gas changeover from winter blend to summer changes your mileage and gives you overall as well as per tank mileage. You can also set it up to track service and repeating maintenance like oil,air filter, fluid changes and remind you by either time or mileage when its due again. The nice thing is you enter things once and then you get a drop down menu when you select that field of all previous entries so you dont have to keep typing in stuff.

I always just reset the trip odometer after filling up the car. It's simple to figure out your gas mileage once you know how many gallons you got and the mileage from the trip odometer. Now the cars have trip computers that tell you your gas mileage so I just reset those after every fill up.

Good old pen and paper for the win.
I keep a small notebook in the glove box or center bin of each car and record each tank of fuel and hand calculate mpg on the back of each receipt.
I also record maintenance events with mileage and date.
Easy and foolproof.
Do not rely upon the car to calculate fuel economy for you.
I've never seen one that was accurate.
Both of our Subarus are optimistic while the HAH is a pessimist.

back when i did this (That car had belonged to my brother who always keeps meticulous Fuel and maint. logs for all his cars, I was just keeping the logs up) I kept a little memo notebook in the door pocket like this one:
[Linked Image from staticx.ibncollege.com]
Measures about 4.5" x3"
After a while, I got "tired of" keeping the Little Book in the car,(and after a couple of the pens I kept with it leaked all over the inside of the door pocket.) so, I transferred all of it to a spreadsheet on my computer, which I would then update with every fill up and Service....

when i sold that car to a friends Mom for his Little Bro, I had the Whole Log printed out with extra Blank sheets, In a small binder, and a Flash Drive with the original files.
She asked me "what's all this stuff?"
-Fuel and maintenance logs from new...
she then Laughed in my face and said "WHO DOES THAT?!?!"

and to be honest, I've not on either car since...I only did on that one since I HAD such logs from new..

I wish they had kept it up though...I told her at the time of sale, it needed to have the Timing belt done sooner rather than later(Interference engine)...that was in late feb '14, w/85k mi.. I don't Know, and no one can tell me, if it's been done yet, with another 35k-ish mi (120k last i saw) since then.... granted it's nothing special, just an '05 neon SXT...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by fdcg27
I keep a small notebook in the glove box or center bin of each car and record each tank of fuel and hand calculate mpg on the back of each receipt.
Easy and foolproof.

I can't even contemplate doing that, although I guess I did in the eighties, before going to spreadsheets, before going to apps. I can instantly give you every MPG fillup figure for the last four years, graph things out five different ways and find cheap gas near me. Would a pen and envelope do that? I will say that I've never relied on the car. It's never accurate.

Last edited:
I jot it down and enter it to a spreadsheet monthly. Bi-monthly for the truck.

10¢ got my loved one a "Princess Sapphire" notebook in which she records fuel purchases.

She compiles on one long sheet......when her boss ain't lookin'.

One day she dropped it on the sidewalk at work. She penned a note describing the youthful artwork on the cover.

A maintenance gal had found it and returned it.

MORAL: Pick an outstanding little notebook.

Originally Posted by csandste
Originally Posted by fdcg27
Easy and foolproof.

I can't even contemplate doing that, although I guess I did in the eighties, before going to spreadsheets, before going to apps. I can instantly give you every MPG fillup figure for the last four years, graph things out five different ways and find cheap gas near me. Would a pen and envelope do that? I will say that I've never relied on the car. It's never accurate.

I can't contemplate doing it that way either. I just do it once and then reset it. No graphs no charts. Nothing to keep track of. And yes, the trip computer is never completely accurate, it's off by about 1mpg. Close enough for me. I can't even remember how much I put in the tank anymore, I remember when prices were high, maybe over $60 but lately it doesn't get anywhere near $40. Basically doesn't really matter to me, but good to know if the gas mileage starts to go south badly.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
I always just reset the trip odometer after filling up the car. It's simple to figure out your gas mileage once you know how many gallons you got and the mileage from the trip odometer. Now the cars have trip computers that tell you your gas mileage so I just reset those after every fill up.

Trip computers aren't accurate. Any app will negate having to reset trip computer.

Originally Posted by Eddie
The problem with Fully is you can't put in comments like Long highway trips vs in town, AC on or off. Type of driving % highway vs city. Ed

Sure you can....if we're talking about Fuelly. I've used it for years and download the logs monthly just in case they disappear.

I prefer the "Road Trip" app. I use iOS. Not sure if it's available on Android.

Back