Hyundai 1.8 MPFI

I am researching a lot of cars currently...

is the 1.8l MPFI in the 2012+ Elantras a reliable engine? it seems like they have mixed reviews online. Some even say that Hyundai has been quietly warrantying them if issues occur?

I think I've seen a lot of those driving by me with major piston slap. I don't know exactly what years are affected by the piston slap though.

Very reliable. That year came with both, GDi and MPi. I have no idea how someone hearing piston slap would know which engine was in that car that just drove by.
wink.gif

Nobody replied to this thread yet from a while back and I know for a fact that some of the engines in those Elantra's and Kia forte in that era had a piston slap problem. Nobody else had anything to add and there is a piston slap problem. It's common enough that I hear them knocking quite regularly and I know of someone who convinced Hyundai to replace their motor because of piston slap.

I'm not going to look further into details because I'm not buying one, but if you're looking into an Elantra from that year, then you should be aware of the piston slap problem. I didn't make it up.

Looks like 2013 was the only really bad year for this problem. 2014-2015 also have engine problems listed at the top but at much much lower numbers.

Also it looks like1.8 mpfi was the only option that year.

Screenshot_20200421-194619.jpg

Screenshot_20200421-194629.jpg

Screenshot_20200421-194640.jpg

Last edited:
Hyundai/Kia engines are not known for being quiet, that's for sure.

2.4L is the troublesome one, you should be fine.

Originally Posted by parimento1
Funny thing is that the Kia Rio just went from GDI to MPFI for the 2020 model year. I guess GDI isn't all its cracked up to be?

You're right. That's your guess.

Originally Posted by wemay
Originally Posted by parimento1
Funny thing is that the Kia Rio just went from GDI to MPFI for the 2020 model year. I guess GDI isn't all its cracked up to be?

You're right. That's your guess.

And that's my opinion. They probably switched back because of cost, or they could accomplish the same thing without the extra complexity and expense. The high pressure fuel pump, and direct injectors are expensive not just for the guy who has to replace them years down the road, but also for the manufacturer. Hyundai isn't changing it because they feel bad for the people that didn't do extra maintenance and got extreme carbon buildup after 7 years.

I guess we'll see how they hold up after 30+ years. That's how long I expect a car to last. It's hard to say now. Nobody has put enough miles and years on them to find out. The 2 fuel pumps total $1000 Canadian for the parts and I already know some of them are failing on these cars.

I know you've put like 200k on yours Wemay and that's pretty good, but in less than 10 years it's not proving a whole lot yet.

Anyway, we got off topic. I would avoid the 2013 model since they have an extremely high rate of engine failure and last I heard the Elantra's weren't in on the recall like the 2.4/2.0t. My friends co-worker had to fight with Hyundai to get them to replace his for the piston slap. They didn't want to because it wasn't under warranty or recall but he did win in the end.

Originally Posted by caprice_2nv

...I know you've put like 200k on yours Wemay and that's pretty good, but in less than 10 years it's not proving a whole lot yet...

That's a very fair point. I should caveat that when mentioning it.

FWIW, I own a 2013 Elantra GLS, just rolled past 135K miles, no issues other than routine maintenance.

My sister had a 2013 Elantra GT, engine failure at under 25K miles, short block replacement under warranty.

There are currently three other 2013's in the family
with no issues.

I think I've seen a lot of those driving by me with major piston slap. I don't know exactly what years are affected by the piston slap though.

Useless comment of the day......

Originally Posted by CKN

Useless comment of the day......

You can call it useless, but I was right.

Screenshot_20200421-194629.jpg

Back